Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at purchasing an UltraGuage for code scanning and monitoring after doing maintenance, like a coolant change. Which would be preferable, the UltraGauge EM Plus or the UltraGauge MX 1.3?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, it's taken a while, but I'm now in the process of purchasing my Ultragauge. I'm still on the fence between the EM Plus and the MX 1.3 version. The EM Plus has 3 things that the MX doesn't, but the MX has the ability to read those OBDII non-standard manufacturing codes indicated here earlier, at least for the FJ.

The EM Plus has Readiness Monitors, Performance Measurements and Additional Wide O2 Sensor Support. The MX 1.3 does not have these features. Link below.

https://ultra-gauge.com/ZC/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=94

Any preferences between the 2?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Kind of wondering the same thing. Also contemplating the Ultragauge Blue. Not sure whether I want/need the dedicated screen vs the updates and adaptability of the smartphone model. Any thoughts?

Sounds like the MX gives you trans temp, which would be interesting. UG's website says the MX is for advanced users, but isn't it similar with the ability to use some of the pre-programmed/add some of the additional OEM specific codes, without a couple of the later additions, as mentioned by Kaiju above... torn on what to get. I have a 2007 FJ if that matters. I saw some things about model years on some of the protocol info.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
The standard version has been working great for the last 4 years. Remaining fuel is accurate to a tenth of a gallon. Trip times/distances, and times/distances since start are good trail tools as well as setting alarms for oil and transmission fluids changes at interval I specify.

I have seen some great things done with the bluetooth versions, but my phone is already over utilized as is my android head unit.

It's all 1 plug and play making it the simplest mod out there, even easier than dome light led swap. Bluetooth would complicate it with an additional device, but looks great.

If you don't like whatever model you choose, you could dump it quickly here at half price and switch easily.

·
Registered
753 Posts
The standard version has been working great for the last 4 years. Remaining fuel is accurate to a tenth of a gallon. Trip times/distances, and times/distances since start are good trail tools as well as setting alarms for oil and transmission fluids changes at interval I specify.

I have seen some great things done with the bluetooth versions, but my phone is already over utilized as is my android head unit.

It's all 1 plug and play making it the simplest mod out there, even easier than dome light led swap. Bluetooth would complicate it with an additional device, but looks great.

If you don't like whatever model you choose, you could dump it quickly here at half price and switch easily.
Agreed on the phone and that's my tradeoff... get the hardwire unit without easy/free upgrade, or get the blue version, with easy upgrade of the app and have it compete with other things the phone is doing. A certain amount of it also depends on how much I'd use it real time, vs looking at historical data of just when trying to troubleshoot something.

I'm leaning toward the hardwire. Then I just have to decide EM Plus or MX. Looks like with MX, you can monitor Auto Trans fluid temp. Just not sure enough about the differences between those 2 units...

·
Registered
753 Posts
So just to confirm, I would want the UltraGauge MX 1.3, and specifically the one with Toyota Tundra/Tacoma with CAN (2005+) programming, and that would provide me the ability to get the standard OBDii stuff as well as Trans Temp, etc specific to Toyota? I'd be using this on a 2007 FJ. From everything I think I've read on the forum, should be fine on a 2007 FJ, even though there are some comments about 2008, etc below.

I ask because I saw this in the document on the Ultrgauge site:
"The OBDII standard describes certain parameters which can be accessed via the OBDII. Many of the parameters are left to the manufacturer’s discretion to support or not. This is why the gauges available through UltraGauge are vehicle dependent. All Manufacturers provide themselves the ability to access additional vehicle parameters beyond those specified in the OBDII standard as well
as those standardized OBDII parameters they chose not to make available. For example, there is no OBDII parameter for Transmission Te
mperature; however, some manufacturers can access this parameter. Likewise, there is
a standardized parameter for Fuel Level %, but manufacturers commonly did not support it via the OBDII
on earlier vehicles, yet some manufacturers can access it. Fundamentally there are two types of parameters:
Standardized OBDII parameters; roughly 135. Many are not very useful and of the 135, manufacturers typically provide less than
half. Ultragauge inherently offers around 60 of these parameters. Standardized OBDII parameters are typically related to emissions.
2.Manufacturer specific parameters (gauges). These are parameters that the manufacturer has inserted for their own purposes. Many are
a duplicate of the Standardized gauges, while others are wholly separate and not included in the standardized OBDII parameters.
These parameters are not focused on emissions and can be any useful parameter the manufacturer has seen fit to insert.
Many manufactures access these parameters through the same interface as the OBDII. Others access the parameters through propri
etary, non-standard pins inserted into the OBDII connector. Only manufacturers which use the same interfac
e as OBDII have parameters that can be accessed
by the UltraGauge MX. Typically Ford, GM, and vehicles with CAN
interfaces can be accessed.
All vehicles sold in the USA since 2008 are required to support CAN. This is not necessarily true for vehicles sold into non-USA markets.
Manufacturer parameters typically cannot be accessed on Vehicles with 9141 and KWP2000
protocols/interfaces. In general foreign vehicles prior to 2008 will use the 9141 or KWP2000 protocol.
"

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hello,
I wanted to post a problem I've had with the Ultragauge or rather there last update (2015) I upgraded my original gauge twice and the last upgrade was so I could read transmission temps. I sent the unit back to get the upgrade, got it back and then set it up to read trans temps, it did, but it would reboot over and over. I got a hold of Ultragauge and they did try to fix it, I returned the unit but they said there was nothing wrong with it. It works okay if I don't have the trans temperature screen up on any of the my custom displays. So I stopped using the transmission temp setup and went back to default with no trans temp displayed. However, about 6 months ago I setup the gauge again to read on my initial display. It would do the same thing, (reboot over and over) I kept using it as I wanted to do the transmission flush within a few weeks and I wanted to see the trans temps during normal driving even though it would reboot over and over I could still see the temps in between the reboots. Then several months later the dash Xmas tree lights would randomly come on but show no codes and I would drive a few miles, then after turning off the engine lights would go away.
This went on for a few weeks until I went to the dealer to get it checked out. I unplugged the UG unit for their testing and an hour later they told me they couldn't find anything wrong with my truck. I drove away totally confused. I didn't plug the UG back in as I wasn't thinking about it. However, a few miles into the drive I realized the dash Xmas lights weren't on. I went home and then plugged the UG in and sure enough, the dash lights came back on. I unplugged it and haven't used it since and have not had any dash Xmas problem lights.

To be fair to UG, my unit does work but only if I don't use the transmission setting or rather set up the unit to display the transmission temps.

I wrote UG several weeks back and started a troubleshooting ticket, not to get it fixed as I realize there is no warranty, but to alert them that this problem is possible and to be aware of it. UG just closed my ticket as resolved.

It just doesn't make sense to me why I only have a problem with the trans temps displayed. Anyone else have a similar problem with their UG?

Aloha, J.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Sucks you are having problems jameykini. Have you had another set of eyes look at each setting on the ultra gauge for the trans temp? Is there a different update for the pre 2010 FJ's?

I sent my UG in for the software upgrade to the MX 1.3, and it has worked great. I monitor my trans pan temp on my UG more than anything else. It is amazing to watch the temp go up when you would not expect it to, and to downshift to get higher revs when cruising, and see the temp go down. Sometimes it is counter-intuitive.

Good thread.
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/transmissions-transfer-cases-traction-aids/428369-ultra-gauge-mx-1-3-now-reads-atf-temp.html

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had the original Ultragauge and just got the Blue. The user interface for the blue is horrible. I just don't like the way everything looks. Yes, the website has plenty of screenshots so I should have known before hand. I am hoping an alternative app may be available for iOS that can read the Bluetooth device.

I still need to get the tranny temp working for my 2011. I will say that just having the standard Ultragauge to glance at vs firing up an app is nice. Who knows I may switch back to that if I can get the software update for it. Based on owning both, albeit very briefly for the blue, I would lean towards buying the traditional device

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
It would be nice if the Blue was able to be viewed on a navigation equipped stereo head unit (TV screen), a much larger display that what is found on a typical phone, and less dangerous to use while driving (and less likely to be dropped between the seats accidentally).

I searched all over their web site but there's no mention of it, and no way to ask tech support until after you have bought the product from them. Darn.

N

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hello Primer,
That is the thread I originally read and got me excited about doing the upgrade. I think I mailed my UG unit for the upgrade a day after that post.
I sent it to them for the upgrade with specs for a 2005-2011 Tacoma/Tundra They sent me back the unit with the upgrade ,plugged it in without changing any code, set trans to display, and within a several miles it started to shut off and restart/reboot. Initially when I got in touch with UG tech's it seemed like they didn't believe me and asked if I could send them a video, which I did, I sent them about 3 or 4 clips that showed what was happening. With UG tech support we played with it for a while changing inputs and such but there was no resolution so I finally sent it back for analysis. A few days later they said it was functioning normally and sent it back to me. Plugged it in and the same thing happened, reboot, reboot, reboot.............. I reloaded code for newer Tacoma's and that didn't work at all. Went back to original code and it displayed the temps but with the same reboot problem. Played around with it using different inputs but no luck. Unplugged it for a while then started using it again, then the lights happened and now I keep it disconnected.

To be clear, if I don't use the trans temp and don't have it assigned to a display page the unit works ok. Weird!
Hmmm, I guess this would be a good reason to buy a BAFX 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII :grin

Aloha, J.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I had the original Ultragauge and just got the Blue. The user interface for the blue is horrible. I just don't like the way everything looks. Yes, the website has plenty of screenshots so I should have known before hand. I am hoping an alternative app may be available for iOS that can read the Bluetooth device.

I still need to get the tranny temp working for my 2011. I will say that just having the standard Ultragauge to glance at vs firing up an app is nice. Who knows I may switch back to that if I can get the software update for it. Based on owning both, albeit very briefly for the blue, I would lean towards buying the traditional device
Thanks for that feedback. That is what I was looking for.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts