Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I've tried my best to search before posting any redundant topics and didn't come up with anything too related. My apologies if redundant.

Anywho, I currently have a 2001 4Runner Sport with rear lockers and I am a beginner-intermediate offroading fan. My 4Runner is getting some serious miles on it (164K) and I have been really digging the look and versatility of the FJ for 4Wheeling and camping lately.

My question is this: Are there many major differences in the various year models from 2007 to 2010, like there has been for the 4Runner in regards to offroading?

For example, the 2001 4Runner was the last year to have manual transmission and rear lockers (until reintroduced in the 2010.) Anything like this that I should consider if looking as far back as the 2007 FJ? Any recommended dealers if you have experience with Colorado dealers or any personal sellers here in Colorado looking to sell?

Thanks for your time and any advice you may have. I really appreciate it.

-Alan

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Not really much difference. There are minor differences over the years, sun visors, number of airbags, bluetooth, head rests, wheels, etc... The only real main difference is starting in '10 they played with the engine, I do not remember the exact numbers, but the '10 and '11 models make more horse power, but have less torque. The number changes were not horribly dramatic, but they did change. To each their own some people argue the older models were better for making more torque, some argue the higher horse power is better. Whatever. In, I believe it was '09, they gusseted the frame/body upfront more, to help with the inner fender bulges and tears. The general consensus is, this didn't do much. If you're looking at a used one, check out the inner fenders up near where the hood hydraulics attach, some people get bulges and tears there. The only thing most will probably agree upon is to stay away (if you can) from the very first ones made. I'm talking about the 07's that were manufactured in '06. There rear ends suck, supposedly, and you can't activate the rear locker with the atrac on, unless you mod it. Plus if you're interested in it, the 6spd manuals are full time 4wd. Overall, great truck, I think you'll be very happy with your purchase.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Welcome! Recommend that before you buy ask for service records and have a reputable garage check it out. Good luck! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I heard they were discontinued in 07 ;)
Very true. I forgot about this. All the model years after 07 were just spill overs from the original run. They've tweaked them a bit and repainted them. :rofl::jester:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL! Thanks for the great replies and helpful info. When I do get one, Ivan70, I want it to be Army green like yours. Is that a custom paint job? I first saw it on the Xplore model and fell in love with it immediately.

:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I see the Army Green color available when I choose to Build Out my own FJ on the Toyota site, but only when I choose 6 Speed MT. -At least for Colorado.

Some Army Green models with 5-Speed Auto are showing up on Cars.com in Kansas and Arizona, if their info is correct.

I wonder if this is the same green as the Xplore Edition found at Xplore Vehicles.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
LOL! Thanks for the great replies and helpful info. When I do get one, Ivan70, I want it to be Army green like yours. Is that a custom paint job? I first saw it on the Xplore model and fell in love with it immediately.

:)
No, it`s standard Army Green :) There is also one TTSE (NSSE) that all green, roof as well.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Starting with 2010 there has been an Army Green color option. The 2011 "special edition" (supposed to be trail teams but they have yet to have actually make a real trail teams, if you're curious just do a search for NSSE) is army green all over, including the roof, with black accents. The Xplore is nice, but it has also been repainted, that is, a flat green. Looks like a drab color, maybe OD Green?

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
here is a side by side comparision.

This is the 2011 NSSE (Not So Special Edition) it has aftermarket wheels.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Flat green is much better looking. Only downfall to flat colors (so I've been told) you can't buff out little scratches, and can't paint over small areas. The paints wont match up, so you're screwed with painting the entire body piece, i.e. door, or have a small spot where the paint clearly doesn't match.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
I like my FJ, but I liked my 4 Runners too. Can you keep them both? The 4 Runner might need a clutch but when I traded my 1995 it had over 250K miles.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts