Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 6MT ~95k....had just finished installing new LED lights on front end, and started it up and noticed a faint but definitely audible whining sound coming from the front of the engine bay, also audible in the cab while idling and driving at low speeds. Not sure if this has anything to do with alternator/new light install or if that part is coincidence, as lights do not need to be on to hear the whine. Rig does see good use, i.e. Dust, mud, rocks, snow water etc. wondering if it could be idler pullies, power steering pump, fan belt, alternator, or something else. If anyone has had similar issues I would love to hear some input. Will post video update with sound

·
Premium Member
8,299 Posts
Alternator charging the battery is most likely what's going on. I notice mine makes this noise whenever I leave the doors open/radio on/lights on and drain the battery slightly while working on it. Did you by chance do this while installing your headlights? In my case it happens occasionally and goes away after a period of driving. It takes longer than you might think to fully top-off your battery!

If it doesn't go away you can always take it to a battery shop and they can hook up to it and tell you if your alt is working properly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts