Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently I had taken my fj on its longest journey. Put on 1300+ miles. About 500 miles into this trip I noticed a whine during acceleration. First reaction was to turn down the radio and turn off the a/c thinking it could be something to do with the air condition. With the a/c off I slowly accelerated and noticed it is still there. Pulled over to the side and let the truck idle. During idle there was no noted whine. Rev'd it a few times during idle and also no whine. Placed it back in drive and drove off with the same noted whine during acceleration gradually getting louder. Once I let go of the throttle it goes away and returns at acceleration. Throughout this whole trip I did not notice any other complications ie lagging in acceleration, power, over heating, or any warning lights on the dash.

I've heard a similar whine like this but louder in my 240sx which ended up being a leak with my power-steering. But when I checked the FJ I did not see any leaks and the steering fluid was full.

A friend of mine suggested it could be the gears- i have 285/70/17 and i've never driven it that far so the gears are not tuned for this set up.

Another friend suggested it could the the alternator.

If anyone has experienced this please let me know what you think. Any suggestions is appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
It will be the alternator or idler pullies. All very simple to replace.

Unless your voltage is fluctuating at all, id start with the idlers.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Since it noise changes with the RPM's, I'm guessing that it's an idler pulley or alternator.
It will be the alternator or idler pullies. All very simple to replace.

Unless your voltage is fluctuating at all, id start with the idlers.
I would say this too, however, he says that there is no whine while it is in park and he revs it. Im my experience with idlers, and I have replaced 2 sets of them, is they whine even when in park when revved. This sounds like he may need to check his tranny fluid level and/or have it flushed. Hopefully I am wrong and it is just the idlers as they are cheap and easy to replace.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
i'd look at changing the rear diff fluid and seeing if there is any metallic debris. Could also be wheel bearings (front or rear). I would start ruling things out.

Of course you can remove serpentine belt and turn the pulleys by hand to check the bearings.

·
Registered
328 Posts
It must be a bad year for Pulleys on the FJ. This is like the third post either here or on Facebook I have read this week while I am in the middle of replacing the Alternator and Battery myself. I have a power steering pump in the garage as well just in case. I replaced all of the idlers 4 years ago with the Gates sealed units. Anyone playing with the serpentine belt should seriously just replace their idlers as the OEM are just not holding up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: I went to Toyota and had a mechanic sit and test drive the fj. He noted that "noise" sounds more like an electrical hum rather than a whine. If i could describe it again i would like to say its not much of a high pitched whine but a high pitched hum if that makes any sense. When he said that i remembered that prior to my trip down south i had speakers and an amp installed. We were thinking I may have not noticed it since I always have my music loud. Anyways Toyota says I can start trouble shooting with disconnecting the speakers and amp to see if that "noise" is still there. They highly doubt the issue is part of my drive train because the whine/hum is still there even in neutral.

Like always feedback is appreciated, lmk what you guys think

·
Registered
75 Posts
Did you ever figure out the issue ? My fj whines and I took the belt off and ran just to rule out all pulleys and belt. I also unplugged the alternator and ruled it out. Still whines ?!?!?

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is kind of an older thread. My FJ starts to whine after driving it about 10 min. 2007 Automatic. I notice it just when I pull up outside my house or at work. It seems to stop when I stop and when I shift into into park. I don't notice it when I am driving at a good speed, rather when I slow down to park. It doesn't make the sound with revving the engine, and not in park. From the information here, should I start with transmission flush?

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I notice that mine has a whine that I hear sometimes when I get out with the vehicle running. I can't hear it inside, and it doesn't always do this. Typically when it has been driven, maybe the engine driven fan is engaging So I'm not too worried.

Now for a bit of humor. Does yours have this option?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts