Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Omni brand White Enamel. My paint guy even unmelted the "TOYOTA" from the grill, painted it, and put it back in the grill. That means no overspray on the mesh part :)

Dude, I love the fact you painted the "Toyota" white to! Good job!

·
Registered
142 Posts
If you want a perfect match the paint code is inside the door. Take that to a paint shop that can color match it and put it in a rattle can for you.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I prefer the old school white look so that's the route I went.

I started with a bit of sanding to prep the surface. Next went on the Dupli-Color Adhesion Promoter. This was followed by a full can of 15 minute interval coats (lost count) of Krylon Fusion for Plastic in Glossy White. Finally several coats of Dupli-Color High Gloss Acrylic Enamel finished it off.

I think the color matches really well. I haven't reinstalled everything yet, but took a couple of pics (without and with flash) to show the color match. Looks really good to my eyes in person anyway. I taped off the letter connectors to keep them black but haven't taken the tape off yet.

·
Registered
467 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
X 2 I like!
Thanks JetCat (and others!) for the wheel comments. I started with black steelies, went to factory alloys, then to the silver steelies. Several months later - it's still my favorite "mod"... and the cheapest.

I'm surprised - glad - but surprised there aren't more body-matched steelies. Could you imagine a tan FJ with tan wheels...

·
Registered
482 Posts
I prefer the old school white look so that's the route I went.

I started with a bit of sanding to prep the surface. Next went on the Dupli-Color Adhesion Promoter. This was followed by a full can of 15 minute interval coats (lost count) of Krylon Fusion for Plastic in Glossy White. Finally several coats of Dupli-Color High Gloss Acrylic Enamel finished it off.

I think the color matches really well. I haven't reinstalled everything yet, but took a couple of pics (without and with flash) to show the color match. Looks really good to my eyes in person anyway. I taped off the letter connectors to keep them black but haven't taken the tape off yet.
Thanks for the close-up pics. I can't even tell the difference from the pics.

I'm surprised - glad - but surprised there aren't more body-matched steelies. Could you imagine a tan FJ with tan wheels...
I actually think I've seen one on the forum somewhere. Like yours, it looks great.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I'm not sure what "shade" of white it is...............I think it's just white:indifferent:

Really wish I could help ya out here, but I had it done by Davbret, a forum member. He removed it, prepped it, primed it, painted & sanded it, re-painted it and I believe he clear coated it too and re-installed it, one day turn around.
Jerry

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Can anyone tell me how you are painting the bezels. Are they removed first or taped off.
It's much easier to remove it, if I remember correctly there's only 4 to 6screws/bolts holding it in place, and it snaps right out. It'll take a lot less time figuring out how to unmount it than it would to mask everything off. Specially since you need to sand, prime, paint, re-sand, re-paint and apply a sealer/finish coat to it.

Unlike that phony vent piece on the hood. They made sure ya wouldn't get that off without disassembling the entire front of the hood, after investigating it I just bit the bullet and spent a lotta time carefully masking off the entire front of the truck and even draped a plastic curtain 3/4 around me like a paint tent. That red over spray goes everywhere and then some, and all I used was a spray can.

Here's a pic, Jerry

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Removing the bezel (you don't have to remove the bumper to paint the bezel) - a 3 minute job.

Remove the grille from the bezel - a 3 minute job.

Sand the bezel - a 30 minute job

Paint the bezel - a 60 minute job

Dry the bezel - a 600 minute job

Install the grille - a 1 minute job

Install the bezel - a 5 minute job

Enjoy the painted bezel - :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Still drying...

Sanded the bezel by hand, the wheels I had sandblasted. Plastic primer & bare metal primer by Rustoleum are both an identical shade of off-white, which matches the FJ roof pretty well.

2-3 coats of primer, 3-5 enamel topcoats on everything.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I used the Rustoleum white, I have some chips in the paint from being stuck behind a semi, but I can always repaint it every so often.

I have black thought about painting mine either black or white. Is there any way some one can post a bigger picture of black diamond with white. I have seen black and would like to see white ( not covered in mud).

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
I am curious...............How hard would it be to either remove the TOYOTA logo and paint it white OR just mask it off and paint it while on the mesh grill? Any thoughts or comments?

·
Registered
142 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
41 - 60 of 84 Posts