Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been trying to see what a white grille will look like on my Cement. I like many think white is how Toyota should have done it, just like the FJ40. @Iconic_ and @FatJohnson have done theirs and they look great, lets see white on other colours please.

·
Desert Moderator
5,658 Posts
If I can find some time and get a dust free day, I'll do mine.
Currently it's flat black, but a bit of sandpaper can fix that pretty quickly.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
For a vehicle supposedly paying homage to the original FJ40, white grill is the only way to go IMO.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Good job Sarah..I was wondering if we had a thread for white grills in our forum because I was going to start one..and now we do. I love the look of the white grill and I’ve gotten quite a few compliments on it locally.

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Some FJ40's came with chrome grilles, bumpers and mirror heads, so be thankful that that didn't happen. :grin

No kidding..I can’t imagine how awful chrome would have looked. My tailpipe is chrome and that’s enough for me. When I was young, chrome was almost a requirement on a car..now it’s almost a sin

·
A-Team Moderator
8,193 Posts
My '74 in 1981. Back then, no one cared if it was chrome or satin silver. I don't recall ever seeing one blacked out until the modern TT's.

BTW, 'cause this drives my OCD nuts, it's GRILLE and the thick bar goes on top. >:D

I do love the white grille on certain color FJC's. :cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
527 Posts
Great post!
I have considered plasti-dipping my TTUE white grille bezel to match the black out scheme, but I always decide against it. The points made here reinforce my thoughts on the matter.

Under certain lighting conditions, heritage blue looks like cement to me. Here are some pictures that might help.

Attachments

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sarah..did you paint your grille?

Sort of.... over the last few days. I thought one can of 058 white would be more that enough...wrong... so it's not great but I had to refit it for a job on Sat and I won't get more paint in time so it'll do for now. I think I like it....

Attachments

·
Desert Moderator
5,658 Posts

·
Banned
52 Posts
I love the look of a white grille!

Since I'm barely able to do 'plug and play' light bulbs, I'm wondering if there is a video or something showing how to remove the grille for painting?

:nerd

·
Desert Moderator
5,658 Posts

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:x

Looks pretty easy too! Thank you!

I'm going to give this a shot before winter. Will share pics when I do.
Yes it is easy to remove from the vehicle. Once off the mesh is held in with six self tapping screws and then ease the clips back to release it. If you want to paint the logo too it is kinda spot welded on (plastic). I used a soldering iron to melt them and it popped off easily.

I’m really bad at painting, I mean really bad, Zero is better!! But with advice here it turned out OK but I needed ,ore than one rattle can so need to recoat.

·
Desert Moderator
5,658 Posts
:x

Looks pretty easy too! Thank you!

I'm going to give this a shot before winter. Will share pics when I do.
They didn't bother to pop the black grille out of the centre, but that's really easy too.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts