Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did my pre-run of the White Mountains. Originally, I planned driving up Wyman canyon, and back down the other side on Silver canyon rd. These are easy to moderate trails, and nice for sightseeing, but there was something else I wanted to try. I had read of a trailReconnoitering in the Great Basin & Eastern Sierra By 4x4 - Wyman Creek to Crooked Creek, that had never been included in a guidebook. From the "RECONNOITERING* IN THE EASTERN SIERRA NEVADA & GREAT BASIN BY 4-WHEEL-DRIVE", this is what they wrote"Roger Mitchell, in his SUV Trails series of books says this road is impassable. Local wags tell me the same. I think it's time to take a little reconnoiter and find out for myself. Maybe it is impassible, maybe it's the best kept secret in the White Mountains." Well, I just had to know the truth about this one, so I made a change in plans.

I started the morning driving thru the desolate Deep Springs valley, to the trail head. Wyman Canyon itself is worth the trip, with an abundance of scenery

After 7 miles, I turned onto the start of the crooked creek trail. I climbed up a ridgelin for about a mile, and crested it to find a very remote area of exceeding beauty.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: White Mountains run June 13-15 part 2

I drove down into dead horse meadows, through several gulches. At 3.5 miles, the road turns left. Here, I took a a side road that looked promising. It went a couple of miles, but petered out. Some challenging sections, made this side trip worth it, although nerve racking.

After returning to the main trail, I got back to bussiness. At 4.5 miles, all prior knowledge of the trail ended, the trail description will become less detailed. I knew that the only trail description ended at a mountain climb up switchbacks. I proceeded up the switch backs which were steep, narrow, obstacle littered, and fun.

Very hazy, but you can see all the way to Death Valley(or at least Eureka Valley, and the dunes)

Obviously, this trail is still in use, about halfway up the mountain, I came across minning operations, both old and new.

As can be seen, the road is narrow, and boulder strewn. I hit one boulder with my bumper, bounced up and landed on my slider, while trying to avoid the drop down the mountain.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: White Mountains run June 13-15 part 3

At the top, the road becomes very rocky, and slow going. It also became near impossible to see, as it blended in with the surrounding terrain.

Can you spot the trail?

Sitting on top of the world.

Dropping into the valley that crooked creek runs through.

The road starts improving

The road goes on

As far as I'm concerned, mission acomplished, I reached the Crooked Creek research center.

The drive took about 4 hours, 25 miles, and is by far, one of the best trails I have ever driven.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now here is the pay-off, the ancient bristcone pine forrest. The oldest living trees(or any other plant or animal for that matter) on the planet. These trees grow at extreme altitude, and can live 4,000 years or more. The oldest one was accidently cut down by a researcher, in the 60's. It was aged over 4,800 years old.

Taking the high road

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Driving to my campsite on White mtn rd

And finnally, the campsite.

I had started 9:30 at about 3000 ft, temp 84f.
At the end, 6 hours later, I had climbed to 11,400ft, where the temperature at 3:30, was 64f. I had gone from high desrt, to high mountain peaks, with views of Death Valley, Nevada, Mt Whitney, and the Owens Valley, sometimes all at once.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
well that is just plain cool! first green Fj I have seen also and good history lesson on the trees I had no idea!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Enjoy that trip while you can, From what I heard the whole area except the Brislecone area is being closed off as wilderness and the roads are going to be closed. I think it was Boxer that put the Bill thru. Ill find the info and post it. we have spent alot of time in that whole area and enjoyed it. I want to take my wife and son thru before its closed.The deer hunting zone for that area is x9c if you look it up you can find the article.Its a beautiful but remote area.Great write up and pics by the way.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I found the bill info .House resolution bill 6156. I hope this can be stopped .The white mtns are a fun place to explore.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does it mention the Wymany canyon area? I Haaaate, hate hate Boxer, I just do.:flame:

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Excellent report. I have heard the same thing - that area is to be kept as a Wilderness Area, which means we can walk in or take horses, but vehicle traffic will be eliminated.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Does it mention the Wymany canyon area? I Haaaate, hate hate Boxer, I just do.:flame:
Leading California down the toilet. I blame Norcal. :lol:

Sper, great report. You're brave to go it alone. You're in some wilderness there! How was the trail? Some parts looked kind of overgrown with vegetation.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From what I have read, Wyman Canyon and a few spurs will be left open, lets hope so.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Leading California down the toilet. I blame Norcal. :lol:

Sper, great report. You're brave to go it alone. You're in some wilderness there! How was the trail? Some parts looked kind of overgrown with vegetation.
Not overgrown, so much as just not easily defined, since the vegetation is small grasses, and the ground is rocky.

I hope I don't seem foolhardy(theres a word I never thought I would use), but I studied sat photos for a couple of weeks, really stocked up on emergency supplies, and drove very cautiously. I have been doing trails like this since I was sixteen, and am comfortable with the risk, but you are right, a smarter man would take along backup. Then again, it is hard to get anyone to want to go, if you don't know the area(I do know the general area from past trips). God, I hope I don't get a rep as someone who takes unnessary risk.

Anyways, I'm looking to do this with a group of about ten, soon. Anybody interest, let me know.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Not overgrown, so much as just not easily defined, since the vegetation is small grasses, and the ground is rocky.

I hope I don't seem foolhardy(theres a word I never thought I would use), but I studied sat photos for a couple of weeks, really stocked up on emergency supplies, and drove very cautiously. I have been doing trails like this since I was sixteen, and am comfortable with the risk, but you are right, a smarter man would take along backup. Then again, it is hard to get anyone to want to go, if you don't know the area(I do know the general area from past trips). God, I hope I don't get a rep as someone who takes unnessary risk.

Anyways, I'm looking to do this with a group of about ten, soon. Anybody interest, let me know.
That looks like a fantastic trip. What kind of distance are we talking about if one to leave from say, the LA area.

I wouldn't call you foolhardy at all because I knew you studied this trip for a while. I read your trip planning on the other board. You've done the trip before so you have some familiarity. I'm just a bit conservative and always think of the worst case scenario. i.e. 2 flats and cell phone died, busted radiator hose and can't be repaired, etc. When I was 16, I rode around on a bike, not making trips like this. :D :bigthumb:

·
Registered
802 Posts
I would be intrested in a group trip. I am planning to take my family on the trip this summer anyway.A group trip would be fun.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Great report and photos - I would love to do this run - :cheers:

-

·
Registered
695 Posts
Excellent report Spertierra!! As always, photos and narrative take time but are the gift that keeps on giving. Scoping out the trail and following it thru had to be really exciting!

I like that area a lot! Let us know when you lead a return trip. I was curious about Silver Canyon....

Did you hike the Methusalah Trail near the visitor center? I would love to see more of your photos. Post them up!!

Here are some of my photos for folks who are interested in that area.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Possibly doing the run during Ouray, for those who are'nt going. Anybody think that would be a good alternative?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Google search is amazing,, found this thread on White MT and you really posted some good info!

We are heading up to the Whites on Labor Day weekend which will be our first trip there. We will be scouting the area for the upcoming deer season and will be focusing on Crooked and Wyman creeks.

Do you have any GPS data on this area? Any pointers on good camp sites ?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Google search is amazing,, found this thread on White MT and you really posted some good info!

We are heading up to the Whites on Labor Day weekend which will be our first trip there. We will be scouting the area for the upcoming deer season and will be focusing on Crooked and Wyman creeks.

Do you have any GPS data on this area? Any pointers on good camp sites ?

Zon, did you get up to the White mountains?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.