Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will be doing a pre-run this weekend, for a camping expidition June 27-29. I will be running through DV on a loop that take in the northern end of the park, and possibly include Scotty's castle, Uhebebe crater, the racetrack, Lippencot, Saline, and camping on top of the White Mtns. Most of the afternoon will hopefully be spent at higher elevations, and the temps will only be in the seventies. Day Two will involve Wyman canyon, and Silver canyon, as well as a stop in order for me to drive into a mine shaft, no kidding. Also, a possible stop at Bodie. The temps at night should be in the low 60's, but during the day, it will be in the 70's, unless we go into DV. What is nice about the White mtns. I plan to do an official run the weekend of June 27-29, and would like to see what is feasible on this run. Anybody up for the challenge?

The point of the pre-run is to finds trails at higher elevations, but I still want to offer the chance to see some of DV.

Reaching the White Mountains and the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest from Bishop, California is about a 1 hour drive. Travel south (14 mi / 23km) on hwy 395 to Big Pine, then east up hwy 168 to the White Mountain Road (13 mi / 21km). Here we turn left and continue the remaining 7 miles (11km) up to Schulman Grove at 10,100' (3048m). Several vista turnouts are located on the White Mt. Road, the most spectactular being Sierra View Overlook (see panoramic photo above).

Grandview Campground, on the way up, is where I plan to meet, if anyone is intersested.

Here are some of the trails i'm interested in.

Reconnoitering in the Great Basin & Eastern Sierra By 4x4 - Champion Sparkplug Mine

Reconnoitering in the Great Basin & Eastern Sierra By 4x4 - Eureka Valley to Gilbert Summit

Reconnoitering in the Great Basin & Eastern Sierra By 4x4 - White Mountain Crossing

Reconnoitering in the Great Basin & Eastern Sierra By 4x4 - Wyman Creek to Crooked Creek

As I promised, I plan to drive into a mine shaft.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me put some fears to ease, I will be hot at points, but I also plan most of it at higher elevations. The White mtn road reaches 11,400ft, and during the afternoon, I plan to be at the top where it is nice and coool probally in the low 70's

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I camped at Mahogany Flat a few weeks back....elv. 8133.

Very cool in the evenings.
I hope so, this should be a nice escape from the heat. If I can find enough to do(I think it should be possible), I probally won't drop down into the valley.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Any idea as to a day by day itinerary? Which entrance are you entering DV? Can you do a map? I may want to meet up for a day or even overnight, but without more info, I can't commit. I would like to get to the north and west sides of DV. Have done Ubehebe and south though.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Beautiful pictures. This look like a lot of fun, but I would like more info as well.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will get more info during my lunch break, none of the trails will be too difficult, but there will be challenges. The camping is good, and there are plenty of side trips. I will post more in 1 hour

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I updated the first post, let me know if you need more info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts