Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

white rim/ moab advice wanted

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Serenity Now 
#1 ·
I'm heading out to do the white rim trail in a few weeks. I will meet some friends that will be mtn. biking it and I will carry extra gear. I plan to get the Guide to Moab UT back roads. I want to get an inexpensive air compressor for me and to fill bike tires. Anyone have a suggestion on a dependable small compressor? Are there any special spots to be sure to check out on the trail? We are starting at Mineral Bottom and camping 3 nights. I also plan to get to Moab a day early and run a few trails. Any suggestions of where to go? I've got a stock TTUE. And any suggestions on camping near Moab the night before the trip? Thanks for any advice.

#2 ·
#3 ·
If you want a low budget compressor, I have this one and it works well enough for the price. It fits perfect under the side of the rear seat and stores out of the way. Just make sure to plug it in and have it running before attaching to the tire or you will blow a fuse. Sure there are other more expensive options but that one will work well enough for MTN bikes and will add 10psi in about 6-7 min to a Truck tire. If/when you have money and room for an ARB or similar, go that direction. Just make sure to test it or any compressor before you go.

Something to do in Islands in the Sky/White Rim trail area which you probably won't do on the MTB's are additional trail off shoots. Both sides are going to see some repetition of traveling over the white rim trail to get there if you do them as a separate day trip so keep that in mind. Map.

On the Mineral Basin side is Taylor Canyon. It is a very isolated canyon and goes back 5 or so miles to rocks named Zeus and Moses. There is a pit toilet and a campground (flat spot) at the end. You can hike to Zeus and Moses if you like. The night view of the stars there is spectacular.

Just past Hardscrabble Hill is Fort bottom Ruin. You can hike out to the Ruin. Note it is on the same level you are hiking, not at the bottom by the cabin and river. The ruin hike out and back takes about 2 hours. More if you hike down to the cabin and river.

On the Schafer Trail side, Potash Road is pretty and has a couple of Colorado river overlooks. You might want to skip this as a day trip if you will be taking this as your exit from the WRT.

For more of a trail feel, Long Canyon is a fun little drive to get you warmed up to Moab and you can get a pic parked under the big rock. It's outside of Island in the Sky but its by Dead Horse State Park so that's easy to visit that before or after the trail depending on which way you go. You can also visit Canyon lands Visitor center in that same area. Both have great photos and overlook areas of the White Rim trail.

Lathrop Canyon is a fun little drive down to the Colorado River. At the end is a bathroom and picnic table. I don't know if people swim right there due to current. We just dipped our feet for a while. Again you will travel some of the WRT to get there. I think it's worth it.

Lots of trails to visit around Moab. I'll let others recommend those since there is so much to do.

#4 ·
I'm a huge Moab fan. Lived only 3.5 hours away in the Rockies. Headed out once or twice a month from April to October.

I highly recommend what everyone calls the Moab 4x4 bible. It is the Funtreks 4x4 guide to Moab off roading. Here's an amazon link > Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails 3rd Edition https://www.amazon.com/dp/193483825X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_1iBWzbJ5M6Q2Y

I'll PM you my Moab gallery on google photos if you'd like and give as much biased tips and favorite locals, if you'd like.

You won't have to air down too much on white rim trail. I simply use a battery jump kit with a built in air pump. Bought mine for $40 at Costco and always keep it in the FJ.

Great on bike tires...

Also, you MUST do Fins and Things trail while your there. It's just a few minutes from downtown in the slick rock trail area. It looks tougher than it is.

Here are some pics for inspiration:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Man that's beautiful.
Thanks for posting it.
Never been there, but hopefully next year I can make it there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Lathrop Canyon: ditto on the previous comments. Nice to actually get down to the river

White Rim/Potash: I got rain/flash flooded out of the rim five years ago. Had planned to due the entire trail but due to thunder storms and flash flooding it was not passable at that time. Went from Shaffer to White rim/"The Crack" campground and back. Walking out to the point was very scenic. The white crack campground is exposed to the winds. Took Potash road out. Potash was a nice route while it was still in the park. Got stopped in view of washer women on the way out for a few hours due to a flash flood.

My advice is keep a close eye on the weather/rain and flash flooding possibilities. Dont risk crossing fast flowing streams on the rim. Also if tenting it be aware that there is may not be any soft ground to stake a tent out. So have a self standing tent or gather rocks. There is a campground at Potash/Rim/Shaffer which might appeal to you.

Have fun..it is beautiful country

#7 ·
#8 ·
Thanks for all the info and inspiring photos! We have campsites on the WRT for Oct. 15, 16, 17 so I should have lots of time for side trips and hikes. I plan to get to Moab a day early and I will do fins and things, and possibly other interesting trails. I'm used to snow and mud so good traction slick rock will be very fun. I have Kayaked the Green River and Colorado so it will be nice to see whats on top of the cliffs for a change. I picked up a tiny viair 88p pump which I tried out today. It seemed to work fine on my motorcycle and I lowered one FJ tire to 20 and it filled it up in about 2 1/2 min. Should be great for filling up bike tires as well. I ordered the trail book as well, should be here tomorrow. It looks like we will have 2 trucks, 5 bikers, and 1 runner (he does ultra marathons quite often and will probably beat us all to camp) Anyone have ideas of free camping for one night near Moab? I'm sleeping in the truck so no tent.

#9 ·
im no Moab expert, but I have done it on dirt bikes two years in a row. My caution is dont overdo it before WRT and damage your vehicle. I think Fins and Things looks damn tough and intimidating in a 4 wheeler. That trail has a number of spots of loose deep sand at the bottom of the slickrock and some very steep departure angles (at least to my recollection but I dirtbiked it not 4 wheeled it).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.