Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that when I leave my FJ out in the sun all day, and return, it is remarkable cool inside compared to other vehicles left in the sun!! It is an unanticipated benefit--I have the silver body and I have learned to like the white roof look. And now that I have discoverer the heat reflecting nature of the paint job, I am a major fan of the white roof!

·
Registered
455 Posts
I think engineers call that "sun load", the amount of BTU's per sq foot.
I understand a black roof in the arizona sun is about 325 BTU's a sq. foot.
Things to consider when they design a/c systems and such...

·
Registered
479 Posts
Tractor-

You make a very good point about the white roof. The only thing going on my roof is wax.:D

·
fka JimmyHoops
2,839 Posts
njtraveler said:
I have noticed that when I leave my FJ out in the sun all day, and return, it is remarkable cool inside compared to other vehicles left in the sun!! It is an unanticipated benefit--I have the silver body and I have learned to like the white roof look. And now that I have discoverer the heat reflecting nature of the paint job, I am a major fan of the white roof!
That is an interesting perspective on the retro roof. Wonder if this little known fact will change the minds of the nay-sayers who wish to paint the roof. God bless the FJ and the designers that retained the heritage of the FJ intact with design cues from the past.

The white roof rocks!

·
Registered
29 Posts

Of course you do have the best color (siver) which in turn also helps the car from heating up as much compaired to say a black one. I would be interested in seeing the comparison between the two under similar conditions.

·
Registered
130 Posts
A great idea taken right from the original FJ. Imagine that - something actually making sense today! Just wait until some attorney sues saying the white roof relected light - blinding their client - sending them cascading off some cliiff.:eek:

I need to stop watching so many stunt filled movies...:D

·
Registered
154 Posts
I really hadn't thought of that but for us in the Southern Arizona, that is a great benefit. The heat build up in vehicles here is not only uncomfortable and annoying, it is dangerous and kills people every year. I hate getting into a vehicle after it was sitting in the sun in June or July and you can't touch the steering wheel or sit down on the leather seats. The white roof is making more sense then ever now.

Krash

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think it's cool inside more because of how vertical the side windows are -- it's incredibly dark inside my FJ no matter how sunny it is outside -- the sun doesn't blaze in through the windows.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts