Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching for a source of this combination in 17" but have been unable to find it. I've spent many hours searching online and on the phone but the biggest white steel rims I can find are 16".
I've sent PM's to a few members who have at least the rim but have had only one reply of a source that when I called they said that they never sold white steel rims.
I have a picture of at least the rims I would like to purchase and if I can't get the Nitto Dune's I would be happy with this set up...thanks for reading ..

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Why do you need a 17" wheel? I just ordered a set of Procomp RockCrawler Series 87's, and painted them white. My point is, why not just buy a set of 17" steelies and paint them white. Here is how mine turned out.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the white look but from what i've seen around town they get pretty nasty looking with brake dust, dirt and grime after a little time.
I do detailing as a hobbie that pays for my toys, and yes I know what you're talking about..have you seen a BMW with the front wheels clean??...so I know how to keep them somewhat clean...

Why do you need a 17" wheel? I just ordered a set of Procomp RockCrawler Series 87's, and painted them white. My point is, why not just buy a set of 17" steelies and paint them white. Here is how mine turned out.

I would like to stay with the same diameter tire/ wheel as my stock set since I only have about 3/8" clearance to get thru the garage door. So 1st let me say that your set up looks like what I would want, so here I go asking again...id you get those locally or online..did you have to use spacers or modify your truxk to fit the combination tire/ wheel and in anut shell ..are all the white steelies painted by those who order them or can you buy them already powder coated?..I'm ready to buy and do not want to go to the local Town Fair Tire or any other place that rips ppl off...trust me this is about the 4th set of tires I buy online and the comparison in prices is just outrageous, almost double if bought locally....hey what are those tires you have please give me the source and I may just do the same, I can't wait....:cheers:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I do detailing as a hobbie that pays for my toys, and yes I know what you're talking about..have you seen a BMW with the front wheels clean??...so I know how to keep them somewhat clean...

I would like to stay with the same diameter tire/ wheel as my stock set since I only have about 3/8" clearance to get thru the garage door. So 1st let me say that your set up looks like what I would want, so here I go asking again...id you get those locally or online..did you have to use spacers or modify your truxk to fit the combination tire/ wheel and in anut shell ..are all the white steelies painted by those who order them or can you buy them already powder coated?..I'm ready to buy and do not want to go to the local Town Fair Tire or any other place that rips ppl off...trust me this is about the 4th set of tires I buy online and the comparison in prices is just outrageous, almost double if bought locally....hey what are those tires you have please give me the source and I may just do the same, I can't wait....:cheers:

No problem. Ok, generally speaking these wheels are referd to as Wheelers, because the website Wheeler's Off Road Which once upon a time they offered these powder coated white. But they don't anymore. But the catch is, these are not manufactured by Wheelers, they are just a vendor. The wheel is actually a ProComp Rock Crawler Series 87 Steel Wheel There is actually one made specfically for Toyotas because of caliper clearance issues, it has a 3.75" backspacing on it. There are different vendors out there to order these wheels through, but as I learned when I ordered mine, ProComp was bought out by 4 Wheel Parts So the actual cheapest place you should be able to find them is there, plus since there is demand for this wheel, you will find places on back order while 4wheelparts has it in stock. You could get them locally painted or powder coated, which if I was rolling in cash I would have considered, but instead I painted them myself. A few pieces of sandpaper (forget the grit, sorry), probably about 3, maybe 4 cans of Rust-Oleum White spray paint. I didn't bother with a top coat sealer crap, and an afternoon.

As for your ride hight, keep in mind if you put a 35" tire on a 15" wheel, and a 35" tire on a 17" wheel, the tire will still be the same hight (sorry if this comes out as condescending) so your ride hight will be the same regardless of which set up you were to go with, in this scenario. So if you want to maintain the stock height tire, which was something around a 32" even if you go down an inch in wheel to a 16, your ride height will still be the same because the tire is still roughly 32" in diameter.

Now since these have a 3.75" backspacing you might, depending on size and tread design, have to do the body mount chop, but if you're going with the stock size 265/75 R16 (most of the wheels are R17, unless you have a SE or Offroad Package) you should be good.

I didn't want to go huge (plus my budget wouldn't allow it) so I'm running a 285/75 R16 Mickey Thompson Baja Claw It equates out to about a 33" tire. I had to do the body mount chop, upon a hard turn, I was getting some rubbing. But since you only have a little less than a half an inch of clearance, these tires would lift your rig up just high enough to not be able to fit. You would need to get them a little smaller, which they only make in a R15 which wont work on our rigs with out some wheel spacers. So I would say, find a different tire.

Here is the exact wheel I ordered, they have free shipping right now.

Series 87

Plus here is a promo code to recieve 5% off, CC5OFF

If you do all 5 wheels, you're looking at, $380.45. That's $76.09 a wheel, shipped. Not too shabby. I hope this helps.:cheers:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Oh yeah, also keep in mind if you're going from an alloy wheel to a steel wheel you need to lug nuts. Alloys use mag style lugnuts (I believe that is their name), steelies use acorn style. I looked around and the cheapest I could find them was from Wheelers. Plus I bought a set of locking lug nuts, and wheelers was the only place I could find that would sell them in packs of 5.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Capt Sensible, thank you very much for the detailed response. 1st off based on the spare tire picture on your rig I can't believe these are 16", but they look great. I spoke with a 4wheel rep on Friday and he didn't seem to know much or was in a hurry so I saved the site to go back another day. I'm not sure I want to buy the tires from one vendorand the rims from another, only as a last ressort.
Another member from the board sent me a PM with a vendor that sells the wheels already painted white but they never called me back so again I have 2 options or maybe 3 if I just bite the bullet and get some fancy rims and tires as now there is another concern, TPMS , my rig is set up with this feature which means I need to buy either sensors or a retrofit kit, now this is almost like work and it's the weekend which is where I stop thinking, like Curly said to Moe..."I'm trying to think and nothing happens"..lol..
Again thanks Capt for your response
:cheers:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
No problem HEK. Here is a side shot. Not as close as that rear shot is, but since you mentioned that they don't look like 16's I wanted to share another shot. With the wheels I chose I couldn't mount my spare as it is factory, so I removed the spare tire carrier and flipped it upside down, which will allow the spare tire to sit out at an angle and clear the rear bumper. With my size tire, mount upside down, i clear the bumper and I can still open the rear glass.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Echoing what Capt Sensible said, i bought the 17"x9" ProComp 7069's and powdercoated them white. They actually clean off really easy.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Echoing what Capt Sensible said, i bought the 17"x9" ProComp 7069's and powdercoated them white. They actually clean off really easy.

Thanks Sky, but now my wife being the "search freak" found that in N.E with all the moisture I will start developing rust within a year as she pointed it out on a few other forums...so now I'm toying with the Cepec DC2's and the Nitto Dunes and I'm not sure if I should start another thread to ask if this combination would need spacers or a lift kit.
I went thru all the pages of the thread titled "Rims and tires" and didn't see this combination on any FJ..am I setting myself up for disappointment..and Captain I tried numerous times to get a hold of Addis and no response, but it's all well for now I'm going to Peru in a couple of weeks for some R and R and upon my return I will have new rims and tires, hopefully the combo I want otherwise BFG MT's or Nitto Mud Grapplers will have to do...again I thank all who took the time to respond ...like my grandmother used to say..."it's ignorant not to ask"...may she RIP

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I don't think I said anything about contacting Addis/ajstoy? Did I? I scanned this whole thread and don't see it anywhere in here. Or is there another Capt on here? If so, I'll knife fight him! :ninja:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think I said anything about contacting Addis/ajstoy? Did I? I scanned this whole thread and don't see it anywhere in here. Or is there another Capt on here? If so, I'll knife fight him! :ninja:
Sorry capt...my mistake it was Gonzo...opps...:cheers:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Ok good. I'll put my knives away then.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've been searching for a source of this combination in 17" but have been unable to find it. I've spent many hours searching online and on the phone but the biggest white steel rims I can find are 16".
I've sent PM's to a few members who have at least the rim but have had only one reply of a source that when I called they said that they never sold white steel rims.
I have a picture of at least the rims I would like to purchase and if I can't get the Nitto Dune's I would be happy with this set up...thanks for reading ..
Where did you find this picture and if you know, what wheels / size / BS are these shown above? They look to me like ProComp series 82 whites. Has anyone tried to fit a series 82 white in 16" or 16.5" dia. on an FJC without spacers???

Thanks,
Robert

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Where did you find this picture and if you know, what wheels / size / BS are these shown above? They look to me like ProComp series 82 whites. Has anyone tried to fit a series 82 white in 16" or 16.5" dia. on an FJC without spacers???

Thanks,
Robert
that looks like their using spacers. those tires are pretty far outside of the fenders.

·
Registered
206 Posts
They did look like they were sticking out a bit. ProComp does have a 16x10 with a 4" backspacing. But don't those look to narrow to be a 10" wide wheel don't they?

PS

I like the "Tonka Cruiser" name!!! The Lic plate on my jackass, anti-collision, speeding ticket yellow (sun fusion) is "TNKA TRK"

1 - 20 of 26 Posts