Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
OEM as in Toyota...or OEM as in replacement filters?

I had a quick drain on my Dodge Cummins....made opening and draining very easy. Looks like the same one as you listed....GENOS GARAGE is where I got one for my Dodge....it was a nice setup.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
There are actually two OEM Filters available.

Your FJ comes from the factory with a Japanese Denso 90915-20004.

The recommended replacement is a 90915-YZZD3 which is dramatically shorter, and made in Thailand.

the 90915-20004's are hard to find but cruiserdave on ih8mud.com can get you some IF they are still available.

T

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Sparks will sell you a case of Toyota filters cheap, as will Toyota of Dallas and the others here. I like them and they're cheap, I can change one every 1000 miles for the price of one TRD filter.. Ron

Hello again :) so who has the best deal on the OEM oil filters?

and has anyone used one of the quick oil drain valves? what do you think of them? thanks

QuickOilDrainValve.com - the best way to change oil

·
Premium Member
897 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
I got a case from TRDSource dot com. I called them they gave me a better deal for buying in bulk. I got a case of the the long filters for like 48 bucks or something like that. That'll last me for while.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok thanks guys........ok so one more question the drain plug listed above....do you still use the toyota drain plug gasket?

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I upgraded to a permanent oil filter. There are a few companies that make them. I went with the Trufilter oil system. It is a billet aluminum filter case with a 30 micron deep pleated surgical grade stainless steel filter. I've had mine on for about three thousand miles now and I'm very happy with it. It filters better and has about twice the flow rate of paper/syn filters. They also use a "quad flow" design that eliminates the need for a bypass valve. This is good because it ensures that no unfiltered oil makes it to the engine. Servicing the filter is very easy. Simply unscrew the top, remove the filter, wash the filter, then reinstall. Adds about two minutes to the oil change process. Saves money in the long run as you never need another filter, good for the environment cause you don't throw anything away, and allows you to go 7500 miles between changes due to the superior filtration. I still change my oil every 3000 because I'm anal like that. The filter is $150 bucks, and IMO well worth it. I have a thread with some pics if you search for trufilter

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
ok thanks guys........ok so one more question the drain plug listed above....do you still use the toyota drain plug gasket?
Yes. Still metal to metal.

i used the gasket that came with the drain valve. i guess i should look under to see if i have a leak from not using the metal crush washer. if i don't notice a leak, i'll swap them out on the next oil change. only reason i used the gasket that came with the drain valve is because the valve is made of brass and the instructions said to only turn a quarter turn past contact to avoid damaging threads.

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
One thing about the quick drain. In my experience, it's anything but "quick". Easy yes, fast, no. They should call it "Easydrain" instead.

DEWFPO

1 - 11 of 11 Posts