Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had that bit of shake at 60ish MPH for years on my 2008. Rebalance tires, different tires/rims twice now, so I'm convinced it's not the tires, because steering wheel chatter is the same no matter what I've tried. At 148K miles I'm not going to remove the rack to install just a spring and put old rack back in.
If I ever replace rack for leakage I'll put this countermeasure spring in whatever rack I buy.
I know Toyota didn't acknowledge my year of vehicle in their TSB but the vehicle is essentially the same and the issue essentially the same.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
The early and the late racks are the same structure, but the 2010~2014 steering rack is 10% quicker ratio than the earlier, probably making it more sensitive to vibration. The countermeasure spring increases the friction in the rack x pinion interface, I guess to help absorb some vibration (at the expense of some self centering).

Since the racks are otherwise the same, I'd expect that the spring would fit the early one too.

Annoying front end flutter is due to something being out of balance or alignment, or loose in the front end, and if yours still did it with different rims and tires (ruling out balance, being out of round and being out of true, in the rims or tires), then it must be something else, like alignment, or ball joints, or a sticking caliper, or a bad damper, probably in that order.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Mine is an '07 so this doesn't apply. However there was an earlier TSB on mine. It did the same thing. Balancing fixed it, but Toyota said that the cause was tires that weren't mounted properly and may have been damaged. So I got 5 new tires at around 5k miles.I also got new front brakes for another TSB.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts