Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen several videos of people running into a rock or bouncing off a tree in their FJ Cruiser and honking at whatever they hit. I did that yesterday, but it was pretty minor compared to others I have seen. I hit a bump while rolling down what I thought to be a smooth hill. I found a pretty good bump, that stopped me dead in my tracks. Of course, I honked at it. My front tires are what hit the bump, and I was moving slowly, so no damage.

So, who here has honked at an off-road obstacle, and was there any damage?

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I've seen several videos of people running into a rock or bouncing off a tree in their FJ Cruiser and honking at whatever they hit. I did that yesterday, but it was pretty minor compared to others I have seen. I hit a bump while rolling down what I thought to be a smooth hill. I found a pretty good bump, that stopped me dead in my tracks. Of course, I honked at it. My front tires are what hit the bump, and I was moving slowly, so no damage.

So, who here has honked at an off-road obstacle, and was there any damage?
Last time out to General sams i had to go around abunch of four wheelers that chose the middle of the trail as a stopping place for lunch and had to drive over a washout and when my front tire slipped in my hand slipped and hit the horn and the four wheelers seemed to find it very funny. I have honked on a couple of other obstacles too, always when facing down hill and unexpectedly bouncing/stopping.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I've never honked at anything. Maybe I'm not wheeling hard enough! :) I guess I just keep my hands/arms clear of the horn area...I guess. I've heard that a lot on the videos as well. Weird.

Now that I've said this, I will have to disconnect my horn from excessive trail honking.

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
Yup, I hit my face on the horn when I slipped into a rut. It was more funny than painfull.

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
Never honked, but I left a huge Voodoo Blue Streak down the side of a boulder one time.

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
Almost every time I go out on the trail i honk at something. :lol:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I always find myself honking accidently. Although it's a bit funnier because when I honk, it sounds like a train is coming.

No damage ever, always just cement parking stoppers at the mall. I'm kidding, ruts, tree roots, awkward bumps when going down a large hill. I have done the big 3 once, windshield wipers, horn and blinkers. Think of it this way, your whole body flies forward, your chest against the horn, your left arm and right arm hit the signals and windshield wipers!!

now THATS embarrassing

·
Registered
148 Posts
I seem to honk a lot more in the spring... but the ladies are wearing a lot less in the spring... coincidence...

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Numerous obsticles have fallen prey to my horn. You heard quite a bit of honking when we had 20 rigs lined up going through the trees at Rausch Creek with the Trail Team.:lol:

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
I seem to honk a lot more in the spring... but the ladies are wearing a lot less in the spring... coincidence...
Seems true!:lol:

·
Kajun Kim
5,489 Posts
Heck, I find myself honking accidentally for nothing at all.
Me too!! I honk alot at stupid drivers though! There are alot here in New Orleans!

Kim:cowfrown:

·
Registered
191 Posts
This phenomena is not exclusive to us. Check out this video. The punchline is at the end of the 1:39 clip. Apologize for the hand shake. I don't have a dash mount and was hand holding the camera and shifting my 6MT, while steering.

My passenger was our TLCA club's TLCA rep. He wheels a FJ-40 he modded up and a 100-series for a DD.

The second link is a write up on the trail run the video was taken from. Check it out, more photos and videos. The visuals came together through a lot of good people wheeling all kinds of rigs.

YouTube - I HEART MUD: What it looks like from the driver's seat

http://www.tahoe-world.com/content/view/11131/37/

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Almost every time I go out on the trail i honk at something. :lol:
x2... always on accident. Makes me and everyone else around laugh. :lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts