Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know every one has or is putting in a CB but what Modifications have you done to them??
This includes changing the mic to amps and everything in between.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm curious what can be done? I was under the impression that as far as output power it's maxed out with what the law allows at 4watts and the only option to get further out there is to have a large whip antenna and be properly tuned.

·
Premium Member
9,345 Posts
Take your radio to a CB shop and ask them to peak & tune the unit.

Do not get an amp. Not only is it illegal, but it will bleed over all 40 channels making it impossible for others at wheeling events to communicate.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
+2 on what Wilson said.The CB that I did have installed in the FJ pushed right at 80 watts which was all garbled up in close quarters such as a trail ride. A good CB shop will do wonders for audio quality of just about any CB.. stressing just about... some can't be helped a great deal. Right now mine is holding a dead key of .5 watts and swinging to 24 watts on modulation.. (yes I know what the ham guys are thinking about that.) but you don't have a thing if you don't have that swing

·
Registered
260 Posts
Take your radio to a CB shop and ask them to peak & tune the unit.

Do not get an amp. Not only is it illegal, but it will bleed over all 40 channels making it impossible for others at wheeling events to communicate.
So is that why I hear some guys on every channel I change to? Are there other reasons that may happen? Also what would a cb shop be doing to "peak and tune" my radio?

Thx for sharing.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sergeant the easy way to explain what peak and tune is if you take a stock FJC and put on a K&N and a Flowmaster. The motor runs better and you have more power. You are sorta doing the same to you CB.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I know every one has or is putting in a CB but what Modifications have you done to them??
Just go get yourself a good radio, that's the biggest problem people have is that they go buy cheap handheld radio's. Get a galaxy radio, or a cobra and a good antenna.

·
Registered
427 Posts
So is that why I hear some guys on every channel I change to? Are there other reasons that may happen? Also what would a cb shop be doing to "peak and tune" my radio?

Thx for sharing.
Cb radio's "legally" can only push four watts. Whenever a cb radio is made the factory usually turns the power output down slightly lower than four watts to stay within the legal limit. When you take it to a cb shop they just turn up the radio so that it is actually pushing four watts.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Look at CB's with SSB you can communicate over long distance on the SSB... SSB CB, is the "high end" of CB radios. Most CBs use AM (amplitude Modulation), but SSB CBs have both AM and SSB (single side band) modes for all 40 channels. AM which is normal for CBs is susceptible to all kinds of nasty interference, SSB makes a more efficient use of power and doesn't have as much problems with static.. But to use SSB you must be communicating with another CBer that also has SSB.

You can still use the Normal 40 channels but this gives you an option as long as others have the SSB option.

·
Registered
272 Posts
If you really want to make the leap to better communications on the trails, grab all your wheeling buddies, find yourself a ham radio test cram session and get your licenses. Ham radio is far superior. It's not merely a matter of power. The band that CB runs on is at 11meters. This is a HF band and generally terrible for short range communications. the radio waves bounce off the earth and up. With the right equipment and band conditions, you can talk around the world on HF with only 50watts. VHF and UHF are better suited for short range communications. in most areas there is a whole host of repeaters on these bands that greatly increase you range.

·
The Laughing Member
2007 FJ Cruiser, 2021 4Runner, 2002 Lexus SC420
9,119 Posts
My old Uniden PC68XL was bumped to 15 watts some years ago.

Mounted it out of the way on the rear of the center console.

Added a microphone extension jack to my dashboard.

Swapped out the inexpensive stock microphone for a Cobra HiPro.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
THANK YOU LANDCRUISER STEVE that was the reason for the question I understand that a lot of people know what is LEGAL and not I just figured it was something not brought up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts