Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2006 Fleetwood Evolution E2, and got my FJ a few weeks ago to use as a tow vehicle for it this summer during some fun 4x4 get aways. I'd like to get with other Evolution owners to see how you guys are doing it, as I've noticed there are quite a few here.

Here are the questions I have:

- Which WDH are you using, because this trailer is for offroad -- I want one that the arms don't hang down too far so they scrape while I am 4-wheeling!

- Did you have an after market tranmission cooler installed? If yes/no, how's that working out for you?

- Did you have an after market tranny temp gauge installed? How do you like that?

- This is a big ass trailer, so has anybody ever had problems towing it or overheated their tranny going up big hills with it?

- The tongue weight is big, so I know I will need a WDH, but has anybody done any custom upgrades to their rear suspension to help also?

That's enough for now... If you are an Evo owner, please reply!

Here's a picture of mine:

Attachments

·
Registered
599 Posts
I have a Fleetwood E1. It is not a bad trailer; too bad Fleetwood folded and the warranty department went for snot. They never really had after sale service support, and even less when they went belly up!! LOL
The E1 is smaller than the E2, so I don't use a WDH. The trailer is built well enough, but I would not take it off, offroad. It's good enough for forestry service roads and gravel travel but for anything serious, its too big (that's mine, never mind yours).
I don't have a tranny cooler or gauge, but I have never had an issue with over heating. I just keep my girl in 4th and the speed to 90-100 kph. I run my rig to where it feels comfortable.
I have OME heavy suspension all the way around, and it really helps with the towing and the weight on the tounge.
How did you find the build quality on your Evolution? I thought the trailer was well done, but the final fit and finish was not that great. They over looked little things like cleaning up aluminum shavings from the holes the factory drilled, somethings were not glued all the way down and they missed a few nails.
Anyways, look forward to hearing from you.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I also had an e1. It did have some finishing Issues. Some of the staples holding the paneling up in the interior fell out. The caps to the silver grommet thingies fell off all over. Also, the fabric on the top separated around the outside corners of both beds.

I did take mine overlanding, and it did quite well if I took it nice and slow.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I also managed to rip off a leveling jack off road. Those really should have been recessed into the frame. The water tank should have been more flat and recessed into the frame, or have a skid plate.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A lot of guys who are into 4x4ing are definitely into extreme stuff that damages their equipment. I'm not one of those guys, so my e2 has been off road but nothing insane. I've done mostly dirt trails, buy I haven't pulled it over any obstacles or anything like that. We enjoy it because it allows us to live in relative luxury in free camping spots throughout national forest and BLM land.

The weight is my only complaint be because for an off road trailer it seems to be more suited to be pulled by a huge suburban or F150!

I had mine out of storage last week and the FJ did pull it well through, but I definitely knew it was back there vs my old Durango 5.9l v8

I'm not concerned about the company being gone now because these trailers are popular they were already holding their value well --- and now that no new ones will be out I only see that getting better for us owners!!

side note -- when I towed it last week I found i did not need the WDH after all! The springs and suspension in my 08 TT are apparently heavier duty than my Durango had!!!!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I sold mine about 8 months ago..which was two months before I bought the FJ.

I'm a tent camper anyway. Miss it in the winter tho.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I sold mine about 8 months ago..which was two months before I bought the FJ.

I'm a tent camper anyway. Miss it in the winter tho.
Was thinking of maybe selling mine and downsizing this summer, but I'm going to reserve judgement until I tow her a few times in the FJ.... Maybe I can come up with some creative ways to cut weight like towing without water, etc?

·
Registered
493 Posts
When i saw the title of this post, i thought to myself,
"Why the heck would you be towing one of these with your FJ?"

I'm glad you really meant the trailer...:bigthumb:

KyFJGuy

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
I looked at those set ups a few years ago. For me they were a bit too much for really going into the back country and for the amount I could camp u could not justify the cost. The FJ was not owned at the time, I was running a 04 Taco.

I have bought a Maggiolina since but everything has it's limits.
I'd love to get an Adventure Trailer and I think they'd be a perfect solution. Small and nimble enough for 4x4 most the time, all camping gear could be in it ready to go with the Maggiolina on top... Just add food and water and clothes and gone! Great on theory but wow they are expensive!!! Cost prohibitive for me. I think I'm goin to go the bajarack route with the Maggiolina instead.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I looked at those set ups a few years ago. For me they were a bit too much for really going into the back country and for the amount I could camp u could not justify the cost. The FJ was not owned at the time, I was running a 04 Taco.

I have bought a Maggiolina since but everything has it's limits.
I'd love to get an Adventure Trailer and I think they'd be a perfect solution. Small and nimble enough for 4x4 most the time, all camping gear could be in it ready to go with the Maggiolina on top... Just add food and water and clothes and gone! Great on theory but wow they are expensive!!! Cost prohibitive for me. I think I'm goin to go the bajarack route with the Maggiolina instead.

Yeh -- You have to go camping at least 8-10 times a year for a camper to be worth your while... But you are right about having all of your gear ready to go, and not having to load up the truck each time, etc -- that part of the experience is pretty priceless.

Although I usually end up bringing my camper to the house the night before so I can give her a good cleanout, and re-organize everything, so it doesn't end up saving me any time! haha... I get her plugged in and charged up, and cool down the fridge -- and then the next morning we are ready to roll out bright and early.

Also, like with your FJ -- you can get way into doing mods on these campers. I've seen guys with satellite TV's in them, very cool sound systems, air conditioners that run off of generators, etc etc etc...

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

1 - 11 of 11 Posts