Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
I can quickly load a cs of mre's 5gl water, small portable generator. I carry mostly everything onboard:tent, sleeping bag,tools,tarp,nylon cord,battery packs etc etc. My FJ is ready to go...I could just leave to go camping & hunting or to evacuate from a hurricane right now...My FJ is no longer my daily driver so I keep it for pleasure and expedition/emergency. Biggest threat here is flooding from severe weather.

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
I can quickly load a cs of mre's 5gl water, small portable generator. I carry mostly everything onboard:tent, sleeping bag,tools,tarp,nylon cord,battery packs etc etc. My FJ is ready to go....
I can vouch for this. Howard is well prepared. Maybe he knows something I don't know.....Howard?

·
Full -N- Down
641 Posts
Mines a daily driver and on any given day it's got a MF radio, vhf/uhf radio, 2-3 flashlights, at least one pistol, two wool blankets, 12x16 tarp, hi-lift jack, jumper cables, first aid kit, trail equipment bag (snatch block, machete, bow saw, shovel, hammer, tow strap and gloves).

I've also got my M416 trailer packed with all our camping gear (tents, sleeping bags, camp clothes, lantern, fuel, cook stove, dry stores, small changeable barreled rifle with a .22 and .410 barrels and assorted ammo for each) All I have to do is hook up and go. Don't expect to ever need it but it's ready just in case.

·
Registered
267 Posts
lol this should be titled the empending day of doom thread or zombie apocolypse

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I think that being prepared/self sufficient is an important concept.

I live in a place where the idea of "bugging out" really is not as important as the concept of "bugging in". I have always kept some form of emergency kit in all of my vehicles but since the FJ is Springtails rolling showroom...it is the set up better than my truck or the Sti. My Molle bags are not filled with fluff...they have everything from food to recovery equipment in them.

You don't actually need much to increase you chances of survival, the 10 essentials for survival can easily be contained in you hidden compartment.

All this said: I do not think that the FJ Cruiser is the ideal "bug out" vehicle...it certainly is capable but it fails in the respect that IMO, the BOV should also be simple enough to be fixed by a backyard mechanic...the ideal would be a pre-1970s FJ40, Jeep CJ or Suzuki LJ20.

Also, any "Bug-out" plan should take into respect that you will probably be walking and that stealth (staying out of sight and away from others) is going to be paramount to surviving. Even though I will be Bugging in for any major incident, I always keep the FJ (pseudo-BOV) and my Bug out bag ready to go.

Hidden compartment bag contents

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/40267-whats-your-hidden-compartment.html

Bug out Bag Contents

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/off-topic-discussion/116811-bug-out-survival-bag.html

Doc

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
I can vouch for this. Howard is well prepared. Maybe he knows something I don't know.....Howard?
Hey Billy, Hows life on the west coast?...I think you left here in time...We have dodged the silver bullet way to many times and I feel it in my bones that we are way over due for some pandimonium and K..osss!

I would rather be prepared to stand my ground with guns and ammo...But a cat 5 Hurricane... even the Zombies know it's better to get out when you can! :lol:

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
You wouldnt happen to be talking about a FN five seven would you? Very nice gun...
10-4. I love my 5.7 what a shooter and with 3 loaded mags you get 60 rounds of fun or maybe not so much fun for the bad guy on the receiving end:lookaround:

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
^ Damn Doc... you ain't screw'n around are ya? LOL

I wanna see your uber BOV loaded up.
That will happen....but not for a little bit. I have an FJ project that I am working on that has me pretty occupied. BUT it will be perfect for a BOV :clap:

Interesting side note on the BOV subject...this is also a popular subject over on one of the JK forums that I frequent. One of the guys there is going to spend the weekend with only what he has in his JK and his Bug out bag. Sounds like a great way to test out the concept of BOB/BOV :bigthumb:

Doc

·
Registered
276 Posts
i personally believe we are on the brink of earth changes. not pole shifts necessarily, but there is a TON of science that shows we will be experiencing something extreme soon. for all the haters, just look at the news. we have earthquake after earthquake worldwide, yellowstone getting close, solar storms and so on...

im trying to get my fj as ready as it can be. roof rack, all that. ill personally be living in the mountains when the time comes with some sort of food. me and lady are gonna put some gas aside. LOTS of people will try to run to the mountains. dead of winter with millions rushing to the top of the mountain is gonna leave plenty of pile ups and people stranded. ill help who i can where i can, but lots of people are going to freak out for the whole 2012 bit, you just wait.

IMHO its easy for everyone to laugh at the science behind the whole 2012 bit, because then they dont feel like the odd man out. we live in a society that if CNN doesnt talk about it, it doesnt exist. the truth of the matter is, if we did know some crazy **** was gonna happen they wouldnt just shout it on the news. People are going to freak out now or then, and its probably viewed as better to have last minute freak outs, because the worlds leaders will be tucked away in bunkers. There are government funded bunkers being built all over(fact)

Buy 5 bucks worth of canned goods everytime your at the grocery store and learn how to garden on a basic level. People arent as awful as every movie portrays. People will be stealing, but most will be looking to for help/to help.

Even if the earth doesnt shake up at all, our money system is going to collapse by 2012, i promise. so food build up is good. this all isnt too fj related, but lets be real having the toyota and some gas in the garage could come in very handy.

Its pretty intense stuff, but check google Project Camelot. Everything you hear sounds silly at first, but once you do some research on the people they interview, they are legit. Check out david wilcok on youtube, hes an interesting start. My advice to my brothers and sisters, is be open minded about our future. IMO its obvious something has to change, we are too complex in nature to be living such a 9-5 lifestyle.

Every culture on earth has always had one belief in common, some sort of end, or change, would one day happen. Now you know why im sillyolbutt.
what you call silly, i call educated.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
i personally believe we are on the brink of earth changes. not pole shifts necessarily, but there is a TON of science that shows we will be experiencing something extreme soon. for all the haters, just look at the news. we have earthquake after earthquake worldwide, yellowstone getting close, solar storms and so on...

im trying to get my fj as ready as it can be. roof rack, all that. ill personally be living in the mountains when the time comes with some sort of food. me and lady are gonna put some gas aside. LOTS of people will try to run to the mountains. dead of winter with millions rushing to the top of the mountain is gonna leave plenty of pile ups and people stranded. ill help who i can where i can, but lots of people are going to freak out for the whole 2012 bit, you just wait.

IMHO its easy for everyone to laugh at the science behind the whole 2012 bit, because then they dont feel like the odd man out. we live in a society that if CNN doesnt talk about it, it doesnt exist. the truth of the matter is, if we did know some crazy **** was gonna happen they wouldnt just shout it on the news. People are going to freak out now or then, and its probably viewed as better to have last minute freak outs, because the worlds leaders will be tucked away in bunkers. There are government funded bunkers being built all over(fact)

Buy 5 bucks worth of canned goods everytime your at the grocery store and learn how to garden on a basic level. People arent as awful as every movie portrays. People will be stealing, but most will be looking to for help/to help.

Even if the earth doesnt shake up at all, our money system is going to collapse by 2012, i promise. so food build up is good. this all isnt too fj related, but lets be real having the toyota and some gas in the garage could come in very handy.

Its pretty intense stuff, but check google Project Camelot. Everything you hear sounds silly at first, but once you do some research on the people they interview, they are legit. Check out david wilcok on youtube, hes an interesting start. My advice to my brothers and sisters, is be open minded about our future. IMO its obvious something has to change, we are too complex in nature to be living such a 9-5 lifestyle.

Every culture on earth has always had one belief in common, some sort of end, or change, would one day happen. Now you know why im sillyolbutt.
what you call silly, i call educated.
Well said, every empire falls and this one is long overdue.

·
fka rsidey
948 Posts
Not sure where you are but where I live if there was some type of natural disaster and I tried to "bug out" I would only make it a few miles to the first major intersection then I wouldn't be able to get much further (even in 4x). My focus has always been on provisions required to hunker down.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Since I live in the "mountains" now should I head to the city? Seems like traffic will be light.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts

Interesting side note on the BOV subject...this is also a popular subject over on one of the JK forums that I frequent. One of the guys there is going to spend the weekend with only what he has in his JK and his Bug out bag. Sounds like a great way to test out the concept of BOB/BOV :bigthumb:
You should post a link for more info... I would like to read about it.

Well said, every empire falls and this one is long overdue.
x2 I agree... 100%. If not on the day predicted, it will be sooner than later.

Since I live in the "mountains" now should I head to the city? Seems like traffic will be light.
:rofl: Sure, that's a good idea. Where do you live???? Make sure you stock up on food for me when I arrive at your house.

:lol: :cheers:

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
You should post a link for more info... I would like to read about it.

Try this one

Zombie Squad • Index page

More bug out info then you will ever need....but why would you want to leave Vermont? Unless you are going to the mountains to get the other guys stash.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Zombiepocolypse

Since my FJ is my DD, I try not to keep too much extra weight in it. If I needed to get out quick, I'd have to leave some important things behind. If I had 15 minutes, I imagine I would be set up fairly well.

If we're talking about the zombiepocolypse, I would be better off staying home. If we're talking about an earthquake, we don't have those here. If we're talking about a hurricane, I have several days to pack and get out. If we're talking about a war, I'm staying to become a huge problem to whoever is arrogant/stupid enough to launch an attack here. :ninja:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought my FJ Cruiser with Bugging Out in mind.

Being able to get home is as important as leaving home. Sometimes I work 30 miles from home, so having food, water and shelter for 72 hours seems entirely reasonable. It could save my life, but more likely it will make life easier in the event of an emergency.

Watching the reports from Egypt remind us. Two things the news consistently report is that the population runs out of food and cash in the first few days. These are easy to pack in the FJ Cruiser. Having a blanket, radio and water (and bottle of booze) would make the FJ Cruiser a darn nice place to spend the night.

41 - 60 of 99 Posts