81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #81

·
Registered
188 Posts
I do, I do! It's always ready to go, bags, parts, food, RTT.....problem is I go buggy so often I don't want to come home.:wave:

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
All my food supplies and everything else is at home so bugging out is a last resort. Stay at home for as long as possible. I won`t be going to the mountains it seems as though everyone will be going there.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Definitely! My FJ would be used to Bug Out. It's not stocked but I do keep the supplies near by in the event we have to leave. First aid supplies, Medic kit, 2 machetes, 3 fixed blade knives, several folding knives, 6 cases of MRE's, SPAM, 3 sacks of rice, 2 jerry water cans, 2 jerry gas cans, 4 railroad oil lanterns, lantern oil, C, D, AA, AAA and surefire batteries, several surefire flashlights, 4 flint strikers, remington 870 L.E. several handguns, ammo (need more), another 30 gallons of water (need more), manual chain saw, Israeli combat bandages, Quick Clot gauzes, lifesaver water bottle, 9 hour candles,

I'm sure I won't fit everything and the other things that are on my to get list. An additional fuel tank is #1 on the to get list for bug out items.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think that being prepared/self sufficient is an important concept.

I live in a place where the idea of "bugging out" really is not as important as the concept of "bugging in". I have always kept some form of emergency kit in all of my vehicles but since the FJ is Springtails rolling showroom...it is the set up better than my truck or the Sti. My Molle bags are not filled with fluff...they have everything from food to recovery equipment in them.

You don't actually need much to increase you chances of survival, the 10 essentials for survival can easily be contained in you hidden compartment.

All this said: I do not think that the FJ Cruiser is the ideal "bug out" vehicle...it certainly is capable but it fails in the respect that IMO, the BOV should also be simple enough to be fixed by a backyard mechanic...the ideal would be a pre-1970s FJ40, Jeep CJ or Suzuki LJ20.

Also, any "Bug-out" plan should take into respect that you will probably be walking and that stealth (staying out of sight and away from others) is going to be paramount to surviving. Even though I will be Bugging in for any major incident, I always keep the FJ (pseudo-BOV) and my Bug out bag ready to go.

Hidden compartment bag contents

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/40267-whats-your-hidden-compartment.html

Bug out Bag Contents

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/off-topic-discussion/116811-bug-out-survival-bag.html

Doc
I was wondering about the killer mounted on the rear divider, can that be accessed from the inside or do you have another friend in the cab?

Nice set up looks clean and organized. I need to make my FJ user friendly like that. :cheers:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I appreciate this forum! To me it is about being prepared as much as you can be. And while I can appreciate everyones humor it is still a serious thought to me to be able to get where I need to be, as close as I can, if the SHTF.

Thanks yall!

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
Well, if I have to choose between my modified FJ and my Honda Insight Hybrid, I think the choice is pretty easy. I don't normally keep weapons in the FJ, but it's a short walk from my house to the FJ in the driveway.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Well, if I have to choose between my modified FJ and my Honda Insight Hybrid, I think the choice is pretty easy. I don't normally keep weapons in the FJ, but it's a short walk from my house to the FJ in the driveway.
I'm with you. Seeing as our other vehicle is a Mazda 6, I think the answer is pretty obvious. Besides, the way I see it, a bug out vehicle is meant to get you to your retreat - not a roamer unless necessary. By either of those standards, I think the FJ stands up nicely.

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
I plan on using mine as a bug out vehicle. I have done a test fit off all my gear and supplies. I have some protective equipment I'll add if that time comes. I think the FJ will be a great vehicle to bug out in. Me using the FJ as a bug out vehicle was one of the deciding factors in me buying it.

It's better to be prepared and never need it, than need it and not have it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
I'm with you. Seeing as our other vehicle is a Mazda 6, I think the answer is pretty obvious. Besides, the way I see it, a bug out vehicle is meant to get you to your retreat - not a roamer unless necessary. By either of those standards, I think the FJ stands up nicely.
Actually, if things ever get that bad, and let's all hope they don't, I'd probably go back into the bayous and swamps where I grew up. I know my way around, I can fish and hunt for subsistance, and there won't be too many people back there. Hmm, now I need a boat.

·
Premium Member
2,688 Posts
We plan to bug in. Lawn chairs and adult beverages. Watch the neighbors bugger out and raid their abandoned homes. FJ will be used to scavenge, and emergency use.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts