Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanna do a ride with some FJ's before the holiday season gets to close and everyone is gone... me and smalldog had been talking about doing the Transcontinental railroad but I have heard there might be old railroad spikes scattered about the road causing flats but people say if you keep your eyes peeled you'll be fine. Also theres the Pony Express trail which I have done and it was awesome! about 120miles from Lehi to wendover! So I just wanna know who's interested, where you wanna go, and when! :rocker:

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
31,561 Posts
I hit a railroad spike on the paved service road coming home from work one morning on a brand new set of tires that was only a week old. The hole wasn't that big. A wad of tire plugs about the size of a baseball and a few tubes of glue could have fixed it. Damn thing went in top first and wreaked havoc.

I might be interested depending on when you decide to do this. I've been talking with my Nephew and he's really wanting to get out too. My FJ is ready to go now that the front end isn't going to fall off. I'll be watching this thread.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright I'll let you know!!! I'm sitting at tony divino right now.... Load noises coming from the engine.... :mecry:

But they are gonna let me take this for a spin.....

:rofl:

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
31,561 Posts
I'm still bummed they wouldn't let me have that for the day. Oh well I got to sit in front of the cashiers office and watch all the pretty ladies and visit with them so that was okay.

Tell them Jim from WY said Hi!

I hope they get you fixed up and it isn't something bad. Good luck Buddy.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Upper idler bearings! 1 hour job and covered under factory warranty so we are all good!! :D

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
31,561 Posts
Cool! I wish mine would have been covered under warranty but it expired 5 years ago for the first one and the extended was up 3 years ago........

·
Registered
264 Posts
I haven't done either so I'm up for both!

Maybe this would be a ton of work but I wonder if we had a spotter (with a rake of some sort?) and a metal detector if we could clean up a certain side of the railroad by picking up the spikes and then it would be better for people to ride on the trail?... Put flags up for areas already cleaned? Could be a cool project. Too much work?

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's what I was thinking to do also!! Might be a long trip maybe have to take 2 days if we do that tho! But I'm always up to clean a trail! And yay!! Congrats on 100 posts!! :D

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
31,561 Posts
I've seen a contraption that has wheels and a tongue with a long bar that has magnets mounted to it that is pulled behind a vehicle to pick up nails, screws etc. I don't know of any that could be mounted and pushed so there is the possibility still of the tow vehicle getting a flat. We had one at work and I've seen them at rental places but I don't know what it would run to rent one. I also don't know if it would be strong enough to pick up a spike or not.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Here is a trip report I did a couple years ago... http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/trail-report-photo-section-gps-coordinates/120636-sun-tunnels-transcontinental-rr-around-great-salt-lake.html ...it was a customer run with Kurt Williams(Cruiser Outfitters), he does this run every year around the Winter Solstice weekend in December. It's cold, but if you are prepared for the cold it is a blast. Nothing like flying along the railroad grades covered in snow. Corners come up quick and a few of us did end up bailing out into the fields, not being able to make the corner. :)

I would like to get a run going out on the TCRR, but not sure when I could do it. Depending on the weather this weekend is either Moab/SRS or surprise party and football with friends in the SL Valley. The next week is my annual trip to the Green River to set some hooks on some fish. Thanksgiving. Week after Tgiving heading to Denver to watch some NFL. So that would put me into early/mid December, and if that's the case I will just wait and head out with Kurt again(assuming the Lucin run is still on).

Oh yeah....don't worry about the RR spikes...the road isn't covered with them, just do what you can to avoid them. Punctures happen, just make sure your spare is good to go. :bigthumb:

:cheers:

There are several good places to camp along the trail as well if you want to break it up into 2 days.

Another trip report via UT Cruisers.... Ghost Rail Trail 2011 - Page 3

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
31,561 Posts
Those are the ones I read about.

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,999 Posts
Going and doing the Trascontinental RR would be awesome!! Actually my other love in life that I've had forever, way before FJ Cruisers even existed, was trains!! I even have a published children's train coloring book, so i'm down!

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I want a coloring book!!!!!! :rofl: Im thinking the railroad is the one we will do... its closer to me so thats good!! :lol:

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
i've got some stuff goin on so not sure if i can make it but will keep an eye on this thread....i'm down with either one also :cheers:

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
31,561 Posts
Going and doing the Trascontinental RR would be awesome!! Actually my other love in life that I've had forever, way before FJ Cruisers even existed, was trains!! I even have a published children's train coloring book, so i'm down!
I didn't know if you had seen this when I posted it before. I thought you might like it.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
ah ole 844....was cool when they got both this and S.P.'s 4449 out of the roundhouses...

p.s. my dad was a train freak so i got a little of that in me too...

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
31,561 Posts
Cool. It comes through here I think every year or so and I was usually working or just getting home so I'd miss it. I just happened to find out it was coming this year and was able to see it. I was parked only about 20ft away from the tracks too. He slowed down when he came by so it was pretty neat to get to see it. I love the looks and the mechanical drives of the older engines. The newer engines just don't have soul like the old ones. I saw your Front Range train when I was down in UT getting the truck fixed. I was stopped at a crossing in Clinton. What a strange looking thing...... It was hauling when it went by too.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
oh ya the double stack Front Runner....ya the new trains don't have souls like the steam trains did....i really love the old logging Shays kind of 4X4 locomotives running gears down the side to all axles...

724786097_a437d9f513_b[1].jpg

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
31,561 Posts
I've never seen one like that. Cool as hell! I happened to pull into Silverton a couple of years ago just as the narrow gauge was leaving. Neat little train. I'd like to get a better look at it sometime and possibly take a ride.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts