Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Why all the secrecy?

4K views 42 replies 24 participants last post by  max oden 
#1 ·
Forgive my naivete but I do not understand the "information embargo" and secrecy surrounding the FJ. Why does Toyota not want to release information?

#4 ·
But seriously, on some level, doesn't this strike any of you as pretentiousness? It's almost (correct me if this is my disproportional obsession with the FJ talking) as if the Toyota people are a supermodel parading their 'untouchable' selves in front of us while greedily refusing to make eye contact.

Part of the fun of any relationship (boyfriend-girlfriend, husband-wife, 381 crazy FJ people-Toyota) is the flirtatious give-and-take element of it. There seems to be little reciprocation on the part of Toyota of our enthusiasm, especially on the side of clueless dealers. I think all of us, in a somewhat childlike manner, perhaps want to feel like we're being rewarded or at least acknowledged for our deep appreciation of the FJ. It seems almost unfair to have to purchase a truck we're so fond of from a dealer who asks, "What's an FJ?" two months before it's released. Gloom encompasses me.

In four months this will have seemed silly, and maybe if I was Toyota I'd behave the same way. However, it still seems arbitrary and somehow even slightly demeaning.

#5 ·
Yeah sorry to be such a smartaxe. I guess the secrecy has to do with competition and the paranoia that can induce in corporate minds. I don't think it's unique to Toyota. BUT, they could do a better job updating their website (have I mentioned that before?) I guess you East Coast guys don't rank since Toyota hasn't even mentioned your Greenville event on their FJC events webpage. They haven't changed a thing on there since they added Ojai about six weeks ago. Now that's pathetic.

#7 ·
Maybe the web page hasn't changed because they fired the guy that was updating it. I too am bugged about the way they have maintained that site.

Originally there was a link to view an FJ video that disappeared too.

I wonder how many other FJ events have already happened or will take place soon that are not documented on that site.
---------
I need my FJC NOW!

#8 ·
I don't think it is pretence... Toyota makes some of the best vehicles on the road today. The information void is because:

1. They are hiding something
2. They are rushed on this model
3. They are unsure how ANOTHER SUV will do in the marketplace
4. The design is a little outlandish and they don't want to alienate their soccer-moms like Isuzu did with the Vehi-X.
5. One read around this board and you will see how touchy the price is to people.
6. If they make it a hybrid, forget about true off roaders.
7. They are almost the biggest consumer vehicle comapny in the world, why risk bad press when they can have no press.

#9 ·
why can't a hybrid go offroad? engine shuts off until 5 miles/hr so you'd be "electircally" climbing hills?

i'm sure there's a way to make it work. with that said, a HYBRID will be a hyrogen car with electric backup. not the PC nonsense of today's hype.

#10 ·
DocAltie said:
I don't think it is pretence... Toyota makes some of the best vehicles on the road today. The information void is because:

1. They are hiding something
2. They are rushed on this model
3. They are unsure how ANOTHER SUV will do in the marketplace
4. The design is a little outlandish and they don't want to alienate their soccer-moms like Isuzu did with the Vehi-X.
5. One read around this board and you will see how touchy the price is to people.
6. If they make it a hybrid, forget about true off roaders.
7. They are almost the biggest consumer vehicle comapny in the world, why risk bad press when they can have no press.
WOW once again proving that you are a complete idiot. Every new automobile release is like this. It just so happens that in todays age of technology we are more informed the ever before. I'm sure Toyota would prefer that all of this information not have been leaked until the price is released later this month. It just so happens that things get out and then they get spread like herpes. Now isn't there some other forum you can pollute, Troll?

#11 ·
air said:
why can't a hybrid go offroad? engine shuts off until 5 miles/hr so you'd be "electircally" climbing hills?

i'm sure there's a way to make it work. with that said, a HYBRID will be a hyrogen car with electric backup. not the PC nonsense of today's hype.

my stepfather is director of an unnamed state's dept of parks and wildlife. He ordered 50 hybrid Escapes to use in the parks. He took a bunch of people out in the sand to show them something on a particular beach and got stuck lol. It just simply wouldn't go because the electric power didn't have the pull and you can't make the gas engine kick in. Too funny. They got sent back for Explorers. :p

#12 ·
I am not saying a hybrid can't go off-road. I am saying the "hard core" offroaders Toyota says they are after, won't have it. Simply will not want a hybrid. Plus if these are to be taken seriously (as is Rover) in far away desinations, hybrid is out because there is no hybrid support out in the middle of no where.

Besides, why would a hybrid be better off-road? As soon as there is a load on the vehicle's powertrain, the engine is running. Off the beaten path the engine would always run. So you would be stuck with a little engine in ost cases. Hybrids get their fuel economy in the city because of stop and go driving. The gas engine stops when the car is no in motion or has very little load on the drivetrain. On the highway they are worse than any number of Honda Civics.

#13 ·
DocAltie said:
Besides, why would a hybrid be better off-road? As soon as there is a load on the vehicle's powertrain, the engine is running. Off the beaten path the engine would always run. So you would be stuck with a little engine in ost cases. Hybrids get their fuel economy in the city because of stop and go driving. The gas engine stops when the car is no in motion or has very little load on the drivetrain. On the highway they are worse than any number of Honda Civics.

not so, according to my stepfather. Those Escapes got stuck...and the gas engine wasn't there to help them out

#15 ·
DocAltie said:
Then you prove my point... hybrid offroad is a useless technology.
yes...but I'm not sure where that point came from anyway? did anyone try to say that's what Toyota was doing?

#16 ·
Toyota never releases information until a vehicle is ready for sale. Part of this is because the do not whant another manufacturer to steal an idea or design until they offer it to their customers. Part of it is because they do not want people deciding that this is a vehilce that they want or worse don't want before it is even for sale, andalso they test vehicle right up to production to make sure that they put the best product they can out to there customers. A new vehicle also must be approved by the government and certified for sale in the US. Usually the first 90 or 100 cars of a new model from Toyota never reach consummers. They are taken apart to check build quality or used in crash test. Toyota does not want you to get one that has any defects in it. If GM and Ford were as concerned they would not be in the shape they are in.

#17 ·
air said:
Forgive my naivete but I do not understand the "information embargo" and secrecy surrounding the FJ. Why does Toyota not want to release information?
At this point, what do we not know besides firm pricing? Seems like most of the data and photos are out there on one site or another, and quite a few have driven and reported about it. By the time any other recent embargo was lifted (IS250/350, RAV, Yaris, 4th Gen, etc.) it's been pretty much old news.

#18 ·
Why does Toyota not want to release information?
I don't like it, but it makes sense. Instead of dribbling out info over the course of time and letting people grow blasé about it, you set things up so there is a release date of reviews and final info right as the car hits the lots. That way, the public is flooded with info and gets excited about the car right as it starts to come out. (Don't peak too soon.)

With regards to the Toyota web site, I agree completely. If you go to the SEMA link, there is some additional photo's and info about the FJ Cruiser that was added a week or so ago, but there's nothing really new.

#19 ·
Guys -- this is how every major vehicle release happens. I followed the unveiling of the new generation of Corvette very closely and they had the same sort of thing. You don't want all of your information hitting the consumer market and media at the same time -- you want to spread it out and create suspense and interest....it's common sense really.

Do you want to see a movie when they tell you all the good stuff that happens in the first preview you see? Do you really want to seriously date a girl who was so easy to bed the first night you met her? It's just simple ol' psychology...

#20 ·
To YB2ND's point, what would happen if Toyota released pricing today and a base FJ was $28K? Some people wouldn't care, others would go buy a different auto without waiting for the FJ to come to market.

Holding information only helps Toyota's hand and that is why there is all the secrecy, plain and simple.

That being said, damn I wish they would tell us what is going on with:

Pricing
Special Edition
Tires
Release Date
Detailed list of options and accessories
etc....

:D

#23 ·
Because they are not in full production yet, the little accountant who counts all those beans probably has not told Toyota exactly it cost to make this thing, so they do not know what they can sell it for to make a reasonable proffit and not piss everyone off.
As for the Special Edition, the design team has problem not finished the Special, then the needed parts would be ordered, and a production run will be set up. I read today there is still a debate on color.

#24 ·
A lot of good answers and assumptions... we have to remember that even though we are the consumers, this whole project is way bigger than us!!!

Toyota can't shoot their wad before it's time. We all know what happens when this occurs.

I have been pissed off to the point that I didn't even want the Fj because of all the secrecy. Now I know they have their reasons. some good some bad, but they are reasons we have no control over.

But we have waited this long (me-2years 9months) so whats another couple of months....torture? Yes, it is

#25 ·
bubbahotep said:
A lot of good answers and assumptions... we have to remember that even though we are the consumers, this whole project is way bigger than us!!!

Toyota can't shoot their wad before it's time. We all know what happens when this occurs.

I have been pissed off to the point that I didn't even want the Fj because of all the secrecy. Now I know they have their reasons. some good some bad, but they are reasons we have no control over.

But we have waited this long (me-2years 9months) so whats another couple of months....torture? Yes, it is
amen - and another shot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.