Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a few harsh words in the video but a good point to why we need to have one . if not for us then for someone else.. thought this was a panic situation that if the guy had one he would have been a little more safe..
YouTube - Flaming Ranger on Creampuff

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Good video.
Every rig should have two of them mounted at least.
I have both of mine in the back.
An expensive one to be used in the interior as it will not harm the electrical wiring, and one for outside of the rig to put out a non vehicle fire where it does not matter what the chemical will do to a rig, as it is harsh for wiring.

Both easily accessed from the rear door.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I have carried an extinguisher in every vehicle I have ever owned. I have two in the FJ.

The Coast Guard requires at least one on every boat, why not in every car. I know I know, you can simply run away from a car. Not having one in your rig is simply foolish

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Must have fire extinguisher and first aid kit to take part in any TLCA event, its on the safety check list.

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
I just passed a Jeep Cherokee billowing smoke and flames along OH route 32 last Friday and was thinking to myself that it was too bad he didn't have an extinguisher and too bad I didn't have any in my pickup truck.

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
My sequoia caught on fire after a botched radio/amp install and we put four huge resturant kitchen fire extinguishers into the dash and got the flames down for a minute but they just started back up. I carry an extinguisher in my jeep because a$$ bites throw cigarettes out the window and my top is always off but I can tell you if its electrical and behind the dash your better off having good insurance because your not going to want the vehicle after the fire. That is the front seat and dash, the white thing is the steering wheel.

Also always watch what you park over. I have personally seen a jeep exhaust catch a field of grass on fire.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
My sequoia caught on fire after a botched radio/amp install and we put four huge resturant kitchen fire extinguishers into the dash and got the flames down for a minute but they just started back up. I carry an extinguisher in my jeep because a$$ bites throw cigarettes out the window and my top is always off but I can tell you if its electrical and behind the dash your better off having good insurance because your not going to want the vehicle after the fire. That is the front seat and dash, the white thing is the steering wheel.

Also always watch what you park over. I have personally seen a jeep exhaust catch a field of grass on fire.

The reason it probably didn't put it out is because resturant extinguisers are class K and ment for putting out grease and fat fires. The agent turns the oil into something like a soap, and absobs heat. This type of extiguisher wont work on electrical fires/combustible materials like plastic worth a crap. I found this out firsthand when a neighbors car burned to the ground and part of his house and all he had was a K extinguiser from his work that he thought was good for anything.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts