Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK members. Please list the reasons you have all become obsessive about this vehicle (and the FJCruiser forum!) and why you MUST purchase a 2007 FJ Cruiser!!! Please list your TOP THREE REASONS.

Here are a few to get you thinking:

-Styling?
-Image?
-Toyota reputation?
-Vehicle size?
-Performance?
-Value?
-Seats 5?
-4WD capable?
-Limited production appeals to you?
-Individuality?
-Back to basics philosophy?
-Love the original FJ40?
-Body on frame construction?
-Proven Toyota drivetrain?
-Close to dealership?
-Past Toyota experience?
-Fuel mileage?
-Manufactured in Japan, not Mexico or USA?
-Hate the Jeep Wrangler, Nissan Xterra, and Hummer H3?
-Brand new sheet of paper design?
-Limited availability?
-Slushbox and 6-speed manual tranny option?
-Offers a real transfer case?
-Durability?

OK members, let the typing (pecking?) begin!!! :D :D :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
im going to list 5 :D

1. toyotas reputation :)

2. past toyota experience :)

3. 4 wheel capable :)

4. even though i wasnt alive; loved fj 40 :)

5. styling and image appeal to me :)

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
i was going to buy a taco many moons ago - but then i heard about this truck through yahoo autos future car section. ive always wanted an old fj40 but i dont have time to renovate nor the funds to purchase a well functioning rig. the newness appeases my wife's concern for safety as well as being able to cart around two small kids (who will get an awesome introduction to offroading through this rig). see, it's the best of all worlds - toyota reliability, functionality, price point, lack of major consumer interest, unique,....to me it's just the right rig. tacos are cool, xterras are fine, ive always disliked jeeps,....although i still really want a commando.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
That's pretty easy. I am nuts over the FJ because it's the coolest looking, best built vehicle to come out of a concept since the 05 Mustang and it comes from a reputable company with a track record for excellence. Honestly, I liked the Bronco concept a lot more than the FJ until I learned it was built on the Festiva platform - WAY TO SHOOT YOURSELF IN THE FOOT FORD!

This is something built around/on a capable platform with a proven track record. And, it's so damn ugly that I thought I would be the only one who wanted one.

When I heard that Toyota was going to produce the concept FJ, I nearly crapped myself. Then I told my woman. Now I'm gettin' one. Sometimes, life is good.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
mini2nut said:
OK members. Please list the reasons you have all become obsessive about this vehicle (and the FJCruiser forum!) and why you MUST purchase a 2007 FJ Cruiser!!! Please list your TOP THREE REASONS.

-Styling?
-Image?
-Toyota reputation?
-Vehicle size?
-Performance?
-Value?
-Seats 5?
-4WD capable?
-Individuality?
-Love the original FJ40?
-Close to dealership?
-Past Toyota experience?
-Fuel mileage?
-Limited availability?
-Durability?

My answer is yes to all the above

but let me say, mini2nut thanks for the conssitant infusion of fun into the discussion.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
t homie I thought you said you were 13. What kind of toyota experience do you have? Or should I ask?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey, your welcome for the "infusion" of fun!!! I forgot to list MY top three reasons for wanting the new 2007 FJC. Here they are:

#1) Value pricing
#2) Toyota reputation
#3) Funky and chunky vehicle styling

·
Registered
106 Posts
Pancho said:
t homie I thought you said you were 13. What kind of toyota experience do you have? Or should I ask?
my dad owns a 93 toyota tacoma 32 inch mudd bogger tires 4 inch lift kit

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
max oden said:
haha, im with rooster though, i love everything about this truck

especially the VOODOO BLUE!!!
And you can never go wrong going with rooster!!!!!!!!!

I have to say one reason I so interested in this truck is that Toyota really disappointed me with the new Tacoma re-model. Too much plastic, strange lines, and not simply not enough "TRUCK" like in ways the FJ purports to be.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
rsa said:
... so a base model MT FJC with the Locker Rear option still looks like my best bet....
rear lockers are standard on the base MT (not an option),...just clarifying for clarity....

now im going to go work on my financing strategery

·
Registered
434 Posts
mini2nut said:

-Styling?
-Image?
-Toyota reputation?
-Vehicle size?
-Performance?
-Value?
-Seats 5?
-4WD capable?
-Individuality?
-Love the original FJ40?
-Close to dealership?
-Past Toyota experience?
-Fuel mileage?
-Limited availability?
-Durability?

1. Love the original FJ40 (wish I had never let it go.)
2. Styling
3. Offers a real transfer case.

·
Registered
552 Posts
The FJ has been in my imagination or across international boundaries just out of reach for a long time (in dog years). My top reason for liking this vehicle:

1. 1/18th scale model.
2. Toyota rep.
3. Land Cruiser Rep and history.
4. One of the few vehicles that looks better with dings and age.

·
Banned
2,350 Posts
(how excited are all of you to see another post by AIR?!?!)

i'd like to add a reason for loving the FJ: Resounding Heterosexuality.

Another way to read that is masculinity. This is an excessively masculine vehicle. I wonder if any car company has dared to channel men's inner-beast as much as Toyo... You know what? I don't know that. It could be the fruitiest thing on four (fabulous!) wheels and I'D NEVER KNOW b/c i've never seen one! Thank you, Slow Calendar, thank you.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Why do I want an FJ? (Not in any particular order of importance)

1) My Current Tacoma is getting long in the tooth (183k miles, 8yrs young)
2) I want a capable, not too big SUV with a MT (the current 4runners don't have a MT and the Rav4s are not bonafide off road capable vehicles - at least not to the extent that 4x4 Tacomas and 4Runners are)
3) My personal expereince with toyota's - rock solid engineering and reliability

I have other reasons - but those are the major ones for me.

While it is true I could go with a used 2000 or so 4Runner with MT, I'd rather have the upgraded safety package (side impact air bags, VSC etc) plus the peace of mind of a NEW Toyota vehicle. Besides - it's been 16 years since I have had a brand spanking new vehicle.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot - I also wanted my 4x4 to have a manualy engaged transfer case. I can't stand the electric engaged ones. Oh well - I tried to keep it at 3 reasons! :)

(Every day that passes, we get closer to March...)

·
Registered
963 Posts
-Styling? Yes
-Image? Yes
-Toyota reputation? Yes
-Vehicle size? Yes
-Performance? Yes
-Value? Yes
-Seats 5? Yes
-4WD capable? Yes
-Limited production appeals to you? Yes
-Individuality? Yes
-Back to basics philosophy? Yes
-Love the original FJ40? Yes
-Body on frame construction? Yes
-Proven Toyota drivetrain? Yes
-Close to dealership? Somewhat
-Past Toyota experience? No
-Fuel mileage? Yes
-Manufactured in Japan, not Mexico or USA? Yes
-Hate the Jeep Wrangler, Nissan Xterra, and Hummer H3? Yes
-Brand new sheet of paper design? Yes
-Limited availability? Yes (2x the limited availability?)
-Slushbox and 6-speed manual tranny option? Yes
-Offers a real transfer case? Yes
-Durability? Yes

- LC

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
1)I'm in the market

2a) Brand Loyalty. I have some based on past experience with Toyota build quality, not sales and service. Toyota is no better than the rest after the manufacturing process has ended, imo.
2b) Reliability. Whether serious or recreational, do you want to take a vehicle off road that isn't built like a brick shitter? If so buy a Hummer or a Jeep. So maybe the FJC will have a couple of black marks on its Consumer Reports chart the first year or two, but I'd still rather have it over an Xterra.
2c) 4LO. Sometimes I need 4LO. Sometimes I just want 4LO.
2d) Size. Do you want a big heavy beast? If so buy a Hummer or a Landcruiser. I had an FZJ80 that I loved but it is a big heavy vehicle with a longer wheelbase and liked to swill petro like I like to swill beer, ANY BEER, on any given weekend. I prefer a mid-sized SUV with a V6 that doesn't have obscene mpg but is still responsive and a large mammal can fit comfortably up front. One thing I noticed yesterday though, the H3 has a turning circle 4feet smaller than the FJC. What is it with Toyotas and turning circles?

3) Styling. If you’re truely bonkers about the FJC it has to be because of the unusual styling. Sure there are some issues and lots of people apparently hate the styling. Heck I’d probably buy it if it had average styling like a Prado. Toyota vehicles have never lead the way in styling imo, but I think they've taken a bold step by producing this vehicle, and I'm glad they did. I like the styling of this vehicle better than the Xterra for sure. I think Nissan styling in general tries for a certain “modern” look that I can't quite describe but I don't really like. The FJC has a rugged, aggressive, athletic look, with some retro design cues balanced with modern features….. just like Pancho.

So there’s three but I think styling is the leading cause of fjcruiserforums.com membership desperation.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts