Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok lots of questions here so please be patient with me. No luck with search so here goes...
Is there a particular reason Toyota disabled the rear diff lock for 2H and 4H on the FJ?
Is there a work around to enable it?
Would you want to?
From what i gather this is the general order of use for 4WD in the FJ, correct?
2H -> 4H -> 4L -> 4L + A-trac -> 4L + locker
Why no 2H + locker option in the mix?

IIRC 2WD Tacomas had a push button locker on the TRD off-road package. Do the same low speed/wheel hop rules apply for the Tacoma?
How come there aren't any reports of Tacomas blowing out the RP? I'll be honest I didn't search this one but I spent a significant amount of time on TN and don't recall seeing a thread about it.
I opted for the LSD on my Tacoma so I am unfamiliar with what the manual says about the locker but the general consensus over at TN was that the locker was far superior to the LSD model. Was wondering why they get to play around locked in 2H and we don't.

Flame away

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
I would say to keep the likeliness of forgetting it's locked.. I think it's a failproof step.

as for hacking around it... I haven't heard of it.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I worked around it..... When I installed my lefty t-case, I had to also install another switch to tell the ECU when I am in 4lo because the lefty has one less switch inside the case. So now, I can flip the switch and have access to my locker and ATRAC anytime.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Pretty sure my rear locker works in 4H................almost positive it does. Don't make me go out and see - it is COLD here today! :lol:

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
In the tacoma world, there are people making mods to enable the locker in 2wd mode, I think what you would want to search is "grey wire mod"

this may help you get what you are looking for

Toyota Minute Mod: The Tacoma Grey Wire Mod
no need for the GWM on the 2nd Gen Tacomas, 2WD model came with push button locker.

I would say to keep the likeliness of forgetting it's locked.. I think it's a failproof step.

as for hacking around it... I haven't heard of it.
bummer

I worked around it..... When I installed my lefty t-case, I had to also install another switch to tell the ECU when I am in 4lo because the lefty has one less switch inside the case. So now, I can flip the switch and have access to my locker and ATRAC anytime.
do want! but without a new TC

Pretty sure my rear locker works in 4H................almost positive it does. Don't make me go out and see - it is COLD here today! :lol:
it's possible i newbietarded this one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts