Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I crashed my Fj. I was at a stop sign and the guy in front of me went, I stopped looked left and went and rear ended the guy because he stopped to wave someone through traffic. I was not even on the gas pedal yet, and bumped him his newer Silverado had two small dents on it. My Fj had a bent hood, split bumper, bent fender, the passenger door would not even open. At the shop they told me I CRUMPLED THE CRUMPLE ZONES at under 5 mph! Over 6k of damage for me and 2 small dents for the Chevy WHY?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,003 Posts
The chevy's bumper was probably higher than yours and it rode over the bumper where there is no structure protection .
This could happen to almost any vehicle
From the looks of your front end, that's why you have substantial damage

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I barely felt a bump and the guy in front of me didn’t either, it happened in front of a crowed restaurant add witness saw it happen and saw my speed, I didn’t even get a ticket.

·
Premium Member
9,003 Posts
You put 4600# at 5 mph at a very small amount of square inches. Along with the fact that your foot was still on the accelerator which probably added a little more force. sheet metal doesn't stop 4600 # to easily on one corner. The bump was absorbed by the crumple zone

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
Chevy probably has metal rear bumpers. You have plastic. In my opinion, that looks like a little bit faster than 5mph. But that is just my opinion.

Not to mention you hit it at an angle concentrating the force on that one spot.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Don't forget that you were also accelerating. Coasting into something at 5mph is different than accelerating into something at 5mph.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fj at low speed crash?

This sucks it’s going to be in the shop for at least a week and a half and I can’t even get a rental car because I’m only 16, no way to get to school. Just got the Bbs rims for Christmas and can’t even enjoy them, and yes I did get an A in Drivers Ed.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
The chevy's bumper was probably higher than yours and it rode over the bumper where there is no structure protection .
This could happen to almost any vehicle
From the looks of your front end, that's why you have substantial damage
Yep.... The impact is above the steel box inside the FJ bumper....

Lesson Learned !... I've done the SAME a long time ago....

NEVER EVER EVER move forward without looking forward... look right, look left, look forward, then move forward... If there is a vehicle in front of you, always wait till it's gone and on it's way totally... never assume they will continue once they are just moving, cause Murphy's Law will always kick in....

·
Registered
428 Posts
The majority of your impact was to the right side. The steel OEM bumper is not very wide, and given your point of impact on the right side, the bumper would have not absorbed much of the impact.

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
The fj's crumple zone doesn't require much impact for it to crumple! I think a beer can is stronger!

All joking aside all cars are made to crumple rather easily in a front end impact. The rear of a car is made to take a heavy impact so that's why there is no damage to the chevy

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
That's nothing. You should have seen my 2000 Nissan Frontier crumple at about 25 mph. I hit a guy broadside that ran a redlight and the entire front end pushed in to the windshield nearly. Airbags didn't even go off.

Thought it was totaled but ended up being about $9500 damage, plus I got paid some money for depreciation.

When the body shop finished it looked and drove like a brand new truck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's nothing. You should have seen my 2000 Nissan Frontier crumple at about 25 mph. I hit a guy broadside that ran a redlight and the entire front end pushed in to the windshield nearly. Airbags didn't even go off.

Thought it was totaled but ended up being about $9500 damage, plus I got paid some money for depreciation.

When the body shop finished it looked and drove like a brand new truck.
How do you get compensation for depreciation?
I hope the body shop does a good job on mine.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Thanks for sharing your story. That sucks & I certainly sympathize. I ,also, did the same thing long ago! I've been researching a custom front bumper for about 6 months and can't wait!! to get it made & installed. My advice; tear off that old plastic bent bumper, sell the fancy rims and get a real bumper! Good luck & Happy New Year.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for sharing your story. That sucks & I certainly sympathize. I ,also, did the same thing long ago! I've been researching a custom front bumper for about 6 months and can't wait!! to get it made & installed. My advice; tear off that old plastic bent bumper, sell the fancy rims and get a real bumper! Good luck & Happy New Year.
lol I just bought the rims.

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
The money it costs to get the plastic front bumper from Toyota is about the price of an aftermarket bumper. So you might be able to get an aftermarket steel bumper for free out of it.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident. Stuff happens. :mecry: I to will advise you to go with an aftermarket steel front bumper.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
How do you get compensation for depreciation?
I hope the body shop does a good job on mine.
I just discussed it with my insurance agent, who just happened to be his insurance agent (small town).

Since it was his fault, they fixed the truck of course. But also, because it was a new truck with nearly 10 grand of front end damage, they cut me a check for depreciation. It was only $2500 but better than a poke in the eye.

PS: Keep an eye on the replacement parts. They like to cheap out if they can.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Re: fj at low speed crash?

This sucks it’s going to be in the shop for at least a week and a half and I can’t even get a rental car because I’m only 16, no way to get to school. Just got the Bbs rims for Christmas and can’t even enjoy them, and yes I did get an A in Drivers Ed.
No way to get to school? Geez if only the school provided some type of transportation to get there....You'd think after all the years schools have been around they would have some way to get students to and from school....:bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts