Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, my confession. I am really biased toward my 4x4 manual and have difficulty comprehending an FJ equipped with anything else.

But I would like to expand my understanding of the universe and am curious as to why you would go with 4x2. I am not trying to be an a$$, I would just like to know. Lets here why prerunner is 'da bomb :lookaround:

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have a Prerunner Tacoma so I'll tell you why I bought it instead of 4x4.

My main reason for considering a 4x4 was for beach driving and light Off Roading. I decided that a 2wd with a locker would be sufficient for my needs while retaining somewhat better fuel mileage. And I was correct. I still haven't got my Taco stuck. And I'm still running the POS Rugged Trails.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Well, ok I admit that this is my daily driver and I had no intentions to mod. I wanted something capable if I ever would need it. I traded in my Navigator which was 4X4. Well, after joining this forum, the mod bug got me. I was inspired after seeing some of your rigs (AceTecno, Wrigman etc...).

·
Registered
467 Posts
because I'm cheap!

·
Registered
878 Posts
because I'm cheep!
haha similar thoughts of cheap along with,
It doesn't snow in Florida. I already have a money pit, this was just going to be the support vehicle to haul stuff tow the drift car and get me places to mountain bike, rock climb, kayak and whatever else.

I'm more into the RWD race/drift car kind of modifying,

BUT, there is always AirtoAir's FJ :rocker:

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have a Prerunner Tacoma so I'll tell you why I bought it instead of 4x4.

My main reason for considering a 4x4 was for beach driving and light Off Roading. I decided that a 2wd with a locker would be sufficient for my needs while retaining somewhat better fuel mileage. And I was correct. I still haven't got my Taco stuck. And I'm still running the POS Rugged Trails.
On the beach, tires are everything. 4x4 means nothing!

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
I really liked the FJ but was WAY upside down on my Expedition during trade in to afford the 4x4. So instead of keeping the POS I upgraded to the FJ and am happy with what I have. Don't get me wrong I am jealous of all of the trail runs and pics you 4x4ers put up, but I figure if I want to go that route I will trade in or mod out someday.

·
Kajun Kim
5,489 Posts
Well, ok I admit that this is my daily driver and I had no intentions to mod. I wanted something capable if I ever would need it. I traded in my Navigator which was 4X4. Well, after joining this forum, the mod bug got me. I was inspired after seeing some of your rigs (AceTecno, Wrigman etc...).
EXACTLY!!! I wanted the BC so bad that I settled for the 4x2. I don't intend to ever do hard core off roading so my thoughts were the same as yours. I sometimes regret that I settled but you know what, I think I would do the same thing again as I don't want to take my truck that I dearly love and put him in danger. I intend to be driving the CG for a VERY long time.

Kim

·
Kajun Kim
5,489 Posts
I really liked the FJ but was WAY upside down on my Expedition during trade in to afford the 4x4. So instead of keeping the POS I upgraded to the FJ and am happy with what I have. Don't get me wrong I am jealous of all of the trail runs and pics you 4x4ers put up, but I figure if I want to go that route I will trade in or mod out someday.
I had an Expedition too. I was the really cool Soccer mom. I wanted to downsize and always wanted a LandCruiser, so.........

Kim

·
Banned
2,998 Posts
I was naive. I had a Ford Ranger Edge 4X4, and NEVER wheeled.So, with that in mind, I thought 4X2 was all I'd ever need. Then I found this place. Mods, wheeling, ATRAC, lockers, all of it.....man, I coulda had a 4X4!! Oh well. Too late, so I gotta make the best of it. And I gotta say...this 4X2 is a VERY capable machine!

·
Kajun Kim
5,489 Posts
I was naive. I had a Ford Ranger Edge 4X4, and NEVER wheeled.So, with that in mind, I thought 4X2 was all I'd ever need. Then I found this place. Mods, wheeling, ATRAC, lockers, all of it.....man, I coulda had a 4X4!! Oh well. Too late, so I gotta make the best of it. And I gotta say...this 4X2 is a VERY capable machine!
Well Said Dave!!!!

Kim

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
We bought our SF for the wife's daily driver. We both thought it was a great and unique looking vehicle and had absolutely no intentions of off-roading with it....then I found this place....and the mod bug set in....so, no regrets for this one as it has been my "test" vehicle. But as soon as hers is paid off, I am getting a 4X4 for me!! And if the right deal comes along, I may not wait for hers to get paid off!! :roller:

·
Registered
588 Posts
It's my daily driver. Where I live it's hot 88% of the time, so I don't have to worry about snow. Plus, where we hunt at, the trails getting to the camps are packed enough, (I used to take my firebird out there AFTER rains). We also have 4-wheelers that we ride, most of the trails we ride are not big enough for a full size truck.

(Plus it was cheaper...)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
We never had a 4x4 in the past, so why need one now??? we thought if we went offroad it would be easy stuff, local fire roads etc., then wrigman found this forum because he was looking to mod and look what happened! He goes where no 4x2 would dare (just kidding)!! He keeps up with the 4x4's in most cases, but he's smart enough to know when to say no. I was hesitant about some of the mods at first cause i did not want the 4x4's to call us a poser! LOL!!! when they find its a 2wd! well dare i say we are not posers!!!
Plus we get better gas mileage(hey a mile or two per gallon adds up), less maintenance woes(at first anyway!pre-mods), and insurance is less! so why pay more for the 4x4?? when we move in a few years we will have to get one then for snow situations! but for now we are VERY happy with NALA!! she is a keeper!!! we searched for three weeks to find a 2wd equipped the way we wanted it, until we found her i test drove in a couple 4wd's, both BC's too! but couldn't be swayed to buy one that wasn't 2wd!!! :)

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Was looking for a unique vehicle that's tall, reliable & wasn't a truck (read: suv). The FJ fit the bill. As to why 4x2 over 4x4 for me? Simple...I'll never go offroading in any way, shape or form unless you consider going over a curb offroading. :D As much as I want to go offroading, I'm way too paranoid about scratches, dents & bent/cracked suspension parts. Besides, it snows/ice once a year (if that) here in Dallas. Now if I lived in an area where it snows often then yeah I'd mos def get a 4x4.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Mine is a company vehicle but owned by me. So I never intended to go off roading, then this place and I was bit by the mod bug...I have the ability to go off road but not hardcore.

·
Kajun Kim
5,489 Posts
You know everyone, I hear a common thought!!! WE all found this place and life changed IMMENSELY!!! We now mod and love it!!

Kim

·
Registered
542 Posts
The day I get stuck! ill run back to the dealer and trade it for a 4x4... well not really, I love the 4x2 and I never hit the hardcore trails, not my thing, Ill take a road trip over a trail day any day... but I love trucks so that equation adds up to a 4x2 truck lol!

1 - 20 of 96 Posts