Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Why did you go 4x2 ?

64K views 111 replies 84 participants last post by  rayfj 
#1 ·
First, my confession. I am really biased toward my 4x4 manual and have difficulty comprehending an FJ equipped with anything else.

But I would like to expand my understanding of the universe and am curious as to why you would go with 4x2. I am not trying to be an a$$, I would just like to know. Lets here why prerunner is 'da bomb :lookaround:

#2 ·
I have a Prerunner Tacoma so I'll tell you why I bought it instead of 4x4.

My main reason for considering a 4x4 was for beach driving and light Off Roading. I decided that a 2wd with a locker would be sufficient for my needs while retaining somewhat better fuel mileage. And I was correct. I still haven't got my Taco stuck. And I'm still running the POS Rugged Trails.

#3 ·
Well, ok I admit that this is my daily driver and I had no intentions to mod. I wanted something capable if I ever would need it. I traded in my Navigator which was 4X4. Well, after joining this forum, the mod bug got me. I was inspired after seeing some of your rigs (AceTecno, Wrigman etc...).

#9 ·
EXACTLY!!! I wanted the BC so bad that I settled for the 4x2. I don't intend to ever do hard core off roading so my thoughts were the same as yours. I sometimes regret that I settled but you know what, I think I would do the same thing again as I don't want to take my truck that I dearly love and put him in danger. I intend to be driving the CG for a VERY long time.

Kim

#5 · (Edited)
because I'm cheap!

#6 ·
because I'm cheep!
haha similar thoughts of cheap along with,
It doesn't snow in Florida. I already have a money pit, this was just going to be the support vehicle to haul stuff tow the drift car and get me places to mountain bike, rock climb, kayak and whatever else.

I'm more into the RWD race/drift car kind of modifying,

BUT, there is always AirtoAir's FJ :rocker:

#8 ·
I really liked the FJ but was WAY upside down on my Expedition during trade in to afford the 4x4. So instead of keeping the POS I upgraded to the FJ and am happy with what I have. Don't get me wrong I am jealous of all of the trail runs and pics you 4x4ers put up, but I figure if I want to go that route I will trade in or mod out someday.

#10 ·
I had an Expedition too. I was the really cool Soccer mom. I wanted to downsize and always wanted a LandCruiser, so.........

Kim

#11 ·
I was naive. I had a Ford Ranger Edge 4X4, and NEVER wheeled.So, with that in mind, I thought 4X2 was all I'd ever need. Then I found this place. Mods, wheeling, ATRAC, lockers, all of it.....man, I coulda had a 4X4!! Oh well. Too late, so I gotta make the best of it. And I gotta say...this 4X2 is a VERY capable machine!

#13 ·
We bought our SF for the wife's daily driver. We both thought it was a great and unique looking vehicle and had absolutely no intentions of off-roading with it....then I found this place....and the mod bug set in....so, no regrets for this one as it has been my "test" vehicle. But as soon as hers is paid off, I am getting a 4X4 for me!! And if the right deal comes along, I may not wait for hers to get paid off!! :roller:

#14 ·
It's my daily driver. Where I live it's hot 88% of the time, so I don't have to worry about snow. Plus, where we hunt at, the trails getting to the camps are packed enough, (I used to take my firebird out there AFTER rains). We also have 4-wheelers that we ride, most of the trails we ride are not big enough for a full size truck.

(Plus it was cheaper...)

#15 ·
We never had a 4x4 in the past, so why need one now??? we thought if we went offroad it would be easy stuff, local fire roads etc., then wrigman found this forum because he was looking to mod and look what happened! He goes where no 4x2 would dare (just kidding)!! He keeps up with the 4x4's in most cases, but he's smart enough to know when to say no. I was hesitant about some of the mods at first cause i did not want the 4x4's to call us a poser! LOL!!! when they find its a 2wd! well dare i say we are not posers!!!
Plus we get better gas mileage(hey a mile or two per gallon adds up), less maintenance woes(at first anyway!pre-mods), and insurance is less! so why pay more for the 4x4?? when we move in a few years we will have to get one then for snow situations! but for now we are VERY happy with NALA!! she is a keeper!!! we searched for three weeks to find a 2wd equipped the way we wanted it, until we found her i test drove in a couple 4wd's, both BC's too! but couldn't be swayed to buy one that wasn't 2wd!!! :)

#16 ·
Was looking for a unique vehicle that's tall, reliable & wasn't a truck (read: suv). The FJ fit the bill. As to why 4x2 over 4x4 for me? Simple...I'll never go offroading in any way, shape or form unless you consider going over a curb offroading. :D As much as I want to go offroading, I'm way too paranoid about scratches, dents & bent/cracked suspension parts. Besides, it snows/ice once a year (if that) here in Dallas. Now if I lived in an area where it snows often then yeah I'd mos def get a 4x4.

#21 ·
This is the "first" vehicle that wrigman has not been scrupulous about scratches and pinstriping! (although when nala got a bath this week and waxed, he did try to rub some out! but it did not work!) so she has some trail scars! and the first lil door ding she got, he did in the garage! i am usually the one to put all the dings and scratches on the cars, and used to create tension, too! but not now!!! the rockrails are great door protecters with the lift, only higher trucks can get us! i have been parking her in a busy parking lot for 2 years now and no one has got me yet! knock on wood! I think the fun factor has out weighed the scratch/dent fear! you should give it a little try! my .02:)

#17 ·
Mine is a company vehicle but owned by me. So I never intended to go off roading, then this place and I was bit by the mod bug...I have the ability to go off road but not hardcore.

#18 ·
You know everyone, I hear a common thought!!! WE all found this place and life changed IMMENSELY!!! We now mod and love it!!

Kim

Reactions: jkinzie
#19 ·
The day I get stuck! ill run back to the dealer and trade it for a 4x4... well not really, I love the 4x2 and I never hit the hardcore trails, not my thing, Ill take a road trip over a trail day any day... but I love trucks so that equation adds up to a 4x2 truck lol!

#22 ·
Heh Sandabbe - my wife would talk on the phone, leaning on the fender of the Mach 1. Man, she got barked at. That was a show car, and a daily driver. But when she leans on the FJ, it's all good. She can lean on it, stand on the running boards, whatever floats her boat! She saw me looking at her leaning on it last week, and got off of it. She was really surprised when I smiled and said, "Go ahead! You can lean on it" and gave her a smooch. As long as she doesn't take a crow bar to it......:D

#23 ·
I have already owned several 4x4 vehicles, from fullsize trucks to jeeps to a samurai, and I no longer hunt, I don't travel off road ever, beyond the occasional dirt or gravel road, and I no longer have the time to head up to tellico on a regular basis like I did years ago. Georgia is flat where I live , and mud bogging is just no fun to wash up afterwards, and is just excessive wear and tear at this point to me. 2wd and the locker is more than enough for my needs. My Fj is a Pavement pounding mobile stereo containment device.

#24 ·
The 4x4 is more capable, no doubt. I didn't go for it because I knew the mod bug would bite even harder. At least I'm not tempted to test the limits of traction in mud, snow or other other fun terrain.

#25 ·
because my old truck was a 4x2 manual and it was lots of fun. I have never needed 4x4 for snowboarding trips, mountain biking trips or any mild off roading I did. I just wanted a new vehicle to replace my truck and hold more stuff inside instead of outside (friends always want to use your truck for moving and crap).

also, zoshyii my college roomate, made me change my mind about an sti and convinced me I just had to have an FJ. he also convinced me I would get in to bigger trouble with a 4x4...and now that I use my FJ offroad I get myself into enough trouble with a 4x2.

#26 ·
Bought it for the wife, and only needs 4x2 in non-snow Texas.

HOWEVER, since we got the FJ, I want one for me. I was going to get a 4x4 and mod it to the hilt (thanks Forum!), but then I got thinking, when would I "need" four wheel drive? I've gone offroad a lot, and never "needed" four wheel drive, even when hunting in the north (that is, I never got stuck). I guess my needs aren't as bold as a lot of people in this forum, but it's been fun to play offroad in the FJ and with the rear lockers I'm especially good. I guess another way of looking at it is that I don't see me getting in a situation with the FJ that I would NEED 4-wheel drive. That's just me.

BTW, there's more to the FJ than 4x4 4x2 drive: rugged construction, ground clearance, interior that can old up to messes, roof rack, and most of the mods don't matter if you have 4x4 or 4x2.

#28 ·
I never "needed" to engage 4-wheel drive when I had it on other vehicles. I went offroad plenty, but not hard-core. Just camping, fishing, and to get away.

My personal motto is that if I need 4 wheel drive to get thru a situation, I probably shouldn't be there in the first place...

#29 · (Edited)
Here in north Florida there is nowhere we would want to go that we can't go with a 4X2. I had a 4X4 in the past and used it exactly once in four years(and I was somewhere I had no business being). Beach launching my boat with the rear locker is as hard as it gets, and as others have said tires are more important on sand than 4X4 capability. I'm more like J-Rock! in that I don't want to mess up my rig off-roading...just too anal to do that to my vehicle...however, my wife offroads her BC with no problems...just need to steer clear of deep mud. The lower initial purchase price, increased gas mileage, and lower maintenance requirements all added up to a smarter buying decision for us. If we had to worry about snow that would be another story. We both love our FJs and we plan to keep them for many years to come...and I am also happy to report that the new meds are really helping with the mod addiction...at least for now. :)

#31 ·
I understand that the 4x2 is cheaper than the 4x4, but I would be interested in hearing from all you 4x2ers how it is on gas vs the 4x4.

#32 ·
I've been getting about 210-220 miles per tank (before the light) since day one. It is mostly, if not all city driving, just going to school and coming back home. Keep in mind that this is with an ARB bumper, 883's upfront, 285 BFG AT's on stock steelies, and about 120lbs of gear in the back.

Every time that I was getting better gas mileage during and after the break in period, I would add another mod to bring the MPG back down.

#33 ·
My gas light comes on right at 300 miles on the tankful. That leaves me with a little less than 3 gallons or so, which means I can go at least another 45 miles or so. I have factory 4X4 Trail Teams suspension, and stock Dunlop street tires, OEM sliders and bling plate (with roof rack).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.