Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Just wondering this as well, bump for you "prerunner" folks.

Why did you buy a 4x2 instead of a 4x4?

·
Registered
153 Posts
When I bought my Explorer back in 2000, I went with a 4 x 2 because of the mileage and less wear parts. I did not expect to ever take it off road. I regretted almost from the start as I do have to travel over the Sierras and I hate tire chains.

I did not repeat my mistake and I have caught the mod bug.

Bob

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
We had to look hard and find a 4x2 because in Texas we didn't need 4x4. Even when I have had 4x4's I never needed to use all 4 (this includes doing farm and ranch work). Didn't do it to save money (it's only about $1K price difference from the 4x4, and gas mileage is only a mile difference), but no use in having all the extra mechanicals if I don't need it.

Now we live in Montana and although I could see using 4x4 more, but the reality is with all the traction controls on the 4x2 (rear lockers, LSD, VSL, ect...) I haven't gotten stuck and I've been though some dicey winter weather. Better tires have made the difference.

I often think about trading for a 4x4, but the FJ is paid for and I think I'll get a winch to act as the "insurance policy" if I happen to get stuck.

I have shared some rides and explored the mountains around here with other FJ 4x4owners, and guess what: it's all done while in 2WD...

·
Registered
11 Posts
l wanted something safer. FJ is unique in appearence and rarity. l learned a long time ago 4wd will get you stuck better than 2wd. Back when l hunted a great deal l bought a Honda 300 2wd and quickly learned the 4wd ones seemed to get quicker and would go no further in the swamp than me. After owning 4wd trucks for 30 yrs l drew the same opinion of them.Now l have a great FJ and 2wd. Whats not to like ??

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well my 06 xterra is 2wd with a welded rear end and I can go anywhere a 4x4 heep of same size can go. A lot of times I can go further. To me no matter if its 4x2 or 4x4 it all depends on the driver. The fj im getting is 4xt and mainly wanting 4x4 to teach the wifey the joys of offroading. Plus the fj is a auto trans and the x manual which the wifey cant drive.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
When I was in the market for an FJ, the 4x2 i found was fully loaded, had factory BBS wheels, upgraded tires, rear locker, and Borla exhaust. It also had the lowest mileage all while being several thousand less than comparable FJs, SOLD. I've never had a desire to off road and still don't, but I've always loved this truck!!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
It amazes me all the people that don't have 4x4 because they say its "too easy" :lol: or that their 2wd will go where a 4x4 will.
I understand not having 4x4 if you don't need it, but to say your 2wd is just as capable shows that you are not in full possession of the facts.

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
It amazes me all the people that don't have 4x4 because they say its "too easy" :lol: or that their 2wd will go where a 4x4 will.
I understand not having 4x4 if you don't need it, but to say your 2wd is just as capable shows that you are not in full possession of the facts.
Yea, a 2wd would definitely not suffice for me. Good luck driving up or down a deep, steep, snow covered, sketchy mountain pass in 2wd and you'll be praying to baby Jesus for 4wd.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
18 Posts
Agreed. My FJ is worthless in 2wd when it snows even with the All Terrains on, especially with the light rear end.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Spoken by a man with experience. No, a 2wd drive will not do the same obstacles a 4wd will do.

Its not about plowing through mud 4wd will only get you about 50tf further than a 2wd rig. The main problems i see with 2wd vs. 4wd is the 2wd's have considerably more issues trying to re-adjust themselves. Especially if they have to back up on a down slope. Can't get traction. Climbing a steep hill? Nope. Descending that same hill? Couldn't even attempt it. ON a few trial runs we have a few 2wd's make the trek. When it came down to making it through curtain obstacles, at times it would take them 5 minutes (if they could get through) when it took the 4wd's 30 sec to a minute each.

Again, if you don't need it, (as in you just drive on road and don't plan on doing any wheeling) then fine. More power to you. But i don't those that mod for full trail riding and then say its just as capable as 4wd's. As Banana boat said, you don't have all the facts.

·
Call me Pickles
831 Posts
Sorry I hear and agree with both sides.

My only complaint is "not needing 4x4 in Texas"????
Where in Texas do you live?

I've used 4x4 more than 20X times in Houston and well over that in Austin.
Can't wait till I get the time to go see Bannanaboat in San Antonio and I know I will be using it there.

Guess you weren't in Texas during the ice storm 2 years ago , or Amarillo this winter when the snow trucks even hid. Houston during Sandy ( I was actually in Galveston then hehe ). Then as far as trails there is Hidden Falls , K2 , Barnswell , etc...

I use 4x4 to unload my boat at the ramp , pull Dodges out when they sink in the lake trying to pull there boats out , Pulling tractors , etc...

The reason my 4x4 shift knob was replaced with a yellow smiley face is because once I "need" to reach for it I get happy. This is after the Rear locker and tires failed to do the job in 4x2. And 4x4 has only failed me once and yeah I was DEFINETLY somewhere I shouldn't have been lol.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Can't wait till I get the time to go see Bannanaboat in San Antonio and I know I will be using it there.
My FJ should be up and running again tomorrow assuming the fedex guy decides to deliver my package this time:lol:
The creek bed will definitely give your 4x4 a workout, and you will more than likely need your locker and atrac:rocker:
We couldn't get a 4x4 non-locked FJ with OME lift and 33" all terrains through the hairy stuff there. Some of the rock shelves are just insane:bandit:

·
Registered
398 Posts
Re: Re: Why did you go 4x2 ?

I was naive. I had a Ford Ranger Edge 4X4, and NEVER wheeled.So, with that in mind, I thought 4X2 was all I'd ever need. Then I found this place. Mods, wheeling, ATRAC, lockers, all of it.....man, I coulda had a 4X4!! Oh well. Too late, so I gotta make the best of it. And I gotta say...this 4X2 is a VERY capable machine!
X2, pretty much the same scenario, except I had a 1998 Blazer. I didn't know/care too much about 4X4s untill I found this place, and then I was kicking myself in the butt...BUT, this machine is very capable even as a 4X2, especially with rear locker. Luckly my rig came with that. By the way, I also consider this forum primarily responsible for robbing me of hundreds of dollars in mods, IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT! Oh well, I cant say I don't love it :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,875 Posts
I'm glad I have a 4x4, but as far as 4x2 FJs go, it's amazing how they still have the capability to tackle rough terrain :bigthumb:

I do like the TRD Package that came out for the 2009 FJ Cruiser. It came with the iceburg white paint scheme and with the silver finished TRD wheels and BFG ATs and TRD shocks along with the TRD decal on the "blindspot" pillar. It also only came in the 4x2. But I actually saw my first one while i was in Hawaii last week! Now I've seen every special edition FJ Cruiser! :rocker:

·
Registered
419 Posts
I think I posted before but I'll say it again. I got it because it was 6k cheaper than a 4x4 around here and had under 37k miles for an 07. It's a daily driver, and I really don't think I'll ever wheel that hard in a daily driver. If I wanted to off road really out of the way, I'd take an ATV or dirt bike. Smasshing up my commuter just doesn't sit well with me.

As far as not needing 4x4 in texas, Im in dallas. I don't tow boats or anything, so no worries there. I also hide in ice storms because I am from up north. In true ice, nothing can drive but people still try. Plus I get a ton of vacation time and my office usually closes in bad weather. No reason getting killed when I can just take a snow day, stay home and warm.

Plus for mudding and making a mess, we can take my GF's 98 4x4 wrangler. It weighs 80 pounds, so if it gets stuck we can just push it out. :rofl:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm torn between the FJ 4X2 and the RAV4 4x4. Gas mileage is THE issue. Also, the FJ is like a mobile man cave. The RAV4 looks like something a secretary would drive! Not much testerone there! Also, as I was sitting in the passenger seat before test driving an '07 FJ, a girl walked by with her boyfriend, and she gave me some unmistakable "**** me!" eyes. I'm sure many of you are aware of, "the look". Just getting one of those come-ons each month m ight be well worth the extra 135.00 I'll be paying in additional fuel cost and insurance. The FJ cargo area would make a geat spot for a
waterbed!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I'm torn between the FJ 4X2 and the RAV4 4x4. Gas mileage is THE issue. Also, the FJ is like a mobile man cave. The RAV4 looks like something a secretary would drive! Not much testerone there! Also, as I was sitting in the passenger seat before test driving an '07 FJ, a girl walked by with her boyfriend, and she gave me some unmistakable "**** me!" eyes. I'm sure many of you are aware of, "the look". Just getting one of those come-ons each month m ight be well worth the extra 135.00 I'll be paying in additional fuel cost and insurance. The FJ cargo area would make a geat spot for a
waterbed!
The rav 4 4 x 4 is not a real 4 wheel drive. I had an 07 and just traded it in February for a 13 TT FJ. The rav 4 is an incredible machine that will take you to places it's not really built for. I took it to a few crazyu places and came back in 1 piece. It is a good vehicle, but it is no FJ.

·
Call me Pickles
831 Posts
For all the people crying about the Gas Mileage:

Gas Mileage of 2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Get a manual and no worries. Of course I get over 20 mpg on average and many people can attest to that. BTW mine is modded.

* If only I could put the 4runner V8 in my FJ!!!
** The V8 in my wife's 4runner is getting an average 22.6 mpg as well.

41 - 60 of 97 Posts