Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,564 Posts
I'm torn between the FJ 4X2 and the RAV4 4x4. Gas mileage is THE issue. Also, the FJ is like a mobile man cave. The RAV4 looks like something a secretary would drive! Not much testerone there! Also, as I was sitting in the passenger seat before test driving an '07 FJ, a girl walked by with her boyfriend, and she gave me some unmistakable "**** me!" eyes. I'm sure many of you are aware of, "the look". Just getting one of those come-ons each month m ight be well worth the extra 135.00 I'll be paying in additional fuel cost and insurance. The FJ cargo area would make a geat spot for a waterbed!
:worried:

·
Registered
3 Posts
2010 FJ TRD

Just got rid of the wife's xterra and she wanted a cool looking vehicle. She loves the Range Rover but no way!! Price and reliability...

We always liked the FJ but heard about visibility issues...it's actually better than my #50z convertible!! I find I like driving the FJ just as much as the Z. What a great truck...

4x2 because we drive around Austin, only a ranch or 2 to off road on....nothing aggressive. Love how solid this feels...like a little Hummer....but way better!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
To each their own but I just cant see it. Reading some of the comments I had to laugh. "Tires are more important then 4X4 capability" "Insurance is higher" These seem like silly comments. And the whole prerunner thing typically pertains to light weight vehicles not a 4000+ pound body on frame truck. I don't care what anyone says, there is no way a 4X2 FJ is going on the same beaches I go to on the Island here... And the beaches here are not rough at all.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
there's 3 consistencies with 4x2 and 4x4 I take away from reading this thread; they're both good trucks; they're both capable and they're FJs ... I'm not sure they even sell the 4x2 here (I've never seen one if they do) ... if you don't need or want a 4 wheel drive, why not drive a 2 wheel drive ... less moving parts,etc, etc ...
:cheers:

·
Registered
23 Posts
there's 3 consistencies with 4x2 and 4x4 I take away from reading this thread; they're both good trucks; they're both capable and they're FJs ... I'm not sure they even sell the 4x2 here (I've never seen one if they do) ... if you don't need or want a 4 wheel drive, why not drive a 2 wheel drive ... less moving parts,etc, etc ...

Capable in what aspect? Its a heavy RWD truck. RWD configuration is the least capable.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Capable in what aspect? Its a heavy RWD truck. RWD configuration is the least capable.

compared to what, a 4x4 ... I think I read in a number of posts folks were using their trucks in limited off-road situations without a problem ... is it going to go where some 4x4s go, no it won't ... everything has a limit and everything has capabilities within their limit ...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just bought my 4x4 a month ago, and step so bought a 4x2 soon after. My theory of off road is go as far as you can in 2wd, then hit rrdiff lock, then onto 4x4 to get through the terrain. 2wd is usually where all the fun is had. Then the 4x4 gets you out.

·
Registered
634 Posts
On the beach, tires are everything. 4x4 means nothing!
I disagree (only to a point)...we see people all the time with 4x2's (Pick a vehicle) w/ lifts, /tires get stuck in the sand on padre island all the time when we are there....I bounced around almost EVERY single thing that has been mentioned in this thread before I bought my 4x4. I do not intend on beating up my truck but will do light wheeling/beach trails etc. I could have gone 4x2 because of the gas mileage etc...but at the end of the day I wanted something that could get me out of a jam if I needed it to and decided a 4x2 would only go so far.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
It was bought for my 16 year old son for something to get him thru high school and college. Also the fact that he isn't into the off-road cage scene would have made a 4X4 a waste of my money. He needed a good vehicle that he could haul his musical equipment in and serve as a tow vehicle for our off-road equipment. . .

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
compared to what, a 4x4 ... I think I read in a number of posts folks were using their trucks in limited off-road situations without a problem ... is it going to go where some 4x4s go, no it won't ... everything has a limit and everything has capabilities within their limit ...
troll:domotwak:

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's all about where you live: I live in Florida, my "off roading" is sand, mud, flooded shell roads, and the local crappy boat ramp...easily handled by the rear differential lock.

·
Registered
169 Posts
To each their own but I just cant see it. Reading some of the comments I had to laugh. "Tires are more important then 4X4 capability" "Insurance is higher" These seem like silly comments. And the whole prerunner thing typically pertains to light weight vehicles not a 4000+ pound body on frame truck. I don't care what anyone says, there is no way a 4X2 FJ is going on the same beaches I go to on the Island here... And the beaches here are not rough at all.
Most prerunners that are built the "right" way are well over that mark with some full size trucks pushing 8klbs and would eat rocks you crawl over at 60mph. Assumption is the mother of all F ups!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Most prerunners that are built the "right" way are well over that mark with some full size trucks pushing 8klbs and would eat rocks you crawl over at 60mph. Assumption is the mother of all F ups!
Those tube frame trucks with fiberglass and carbon fiber bodies weigh thousands of pounds more then the normal trucks they represent? And lets not forget they have several 100 hp more then an FJ. We are getting topic, the point I was making is a 4X2 FJ will never be any where near as capable as a 4x4 FJ in any off road situation ever.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Those tube frame trucks with fiberglass and carbon fiber bodies weigh thousands of pounds more then the normal trucks they represent? And lets not forget they have several 100 hp more then an FJ. We are getting topic, the point I was making is a 4X2 FJ will never be any where near as capable as a 4x4 FJ in any off road situation ever.
You bet they do, they might be a tube chassis but there's Lots of that tube! Oh and there 2wd. A 2wd Fj could be built to be quite good and 4wd is the limiting factor in the front suspension travel on an Fj. When I had my 89 bronco there was a source for chomolly axles with ballistic u joints instead of CVS that were vertically indestructible and could handle angles that CVS could only dream of. Still don't know why something like that still isn't offered for the Fj :/.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Because I have my locked LX450 and didnt really need it! My Tundra 4X2 got me to 99% of the places I needed to go and got twice the MPG of the LX450 (and my old Land Cruiser). I liked having the storage of the SUV over the truck and love the look of the FJC. I really wasnt looking for a 4x2 FJC but one found me for a super price and like new cond so I said "F" it :smile I love the thing.

I took it to my "test" hill by my house so see if it could make it! The LX can crawl right up it unlocked. The FJC....not! so I tried the Auto LSD.....still not! but it was trying....next locked.. made it woot woot:bigthumb: so my locked FJC can make it where my LX will unlocked. So no it wont be doing any rock crawling but it is fine for the desert running I do so now the LX is for sale!

If I ever feel the need for a 4x4 I will get a FJC 4x4 and keep the 4x2:wink to daily drive.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
When it comes down to it, I've never been wheeling before and was in the market for a capable machine to take camping or hiking, maybe up to the mountains during snowboarding season. And thats about 5-10 times a YEAR.

I've been in love with the FJ for years now and with my Volvo finally on it's death bed I took the leap. Now, after this forum do I wish I got a 4x4? ... that's another story. =)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks for all of the input here. I am still looking to buy my first FJ and really leaning toward the 2X4 version. I have had a Wrangler TJ for the last two years and been in 4WD twice. I can understand the allure of the 4WD but think the 2WD will work better for what I need and is less expensive.

I have been the mod route on the TJ and just looking forward to a stock truck that I can have some fun in with the family. Will never, rock crawl, go muddin or get too crazy and as I live in Florida, don't have to deal with snow and the like.

Is really great to see all that can be done with this very capable vehicle.

61 - 80 of 99 Posts