Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Last weekend while visiting the nearby dealerships I saw two 4x2 FJs for sale in Slidell (just east of New Orleans.)
One was at the Nissan dealership and the other at Toyota next to it.

Depending what part of Florida you are in, might be a short drive for you.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks, I have a few in the area to choose from and am leaning toward a yellow one (my TJ is yellow as well). It has everything I wanted and they just dropped the price so will probably go take a look on Sunday.

Thanks for the tip though.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
The 4x2 is very capable if you know when to use the different traction controls (LSD, Lockers, etc...) and how they work.

I added a winch when we moved from TX to MT just as an insurance policy (had to use it only once in an icy situation).

When I go "off road" it's on the mountain logging/forest service roads, and everybody that has a 4WD always leaves it in 2WD mode here anyway.

The only thing I wish for is for a Lo range, it would make for better traction and be able to go up steeper inclines.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
The sticker price is lower, but so is the resell value. Isn't it smart to buy the vehicle that retains it's value better and is generally the more desired model? I paid a little more for 4x4, but I'll get a little more back when I sell ... so it's a wash imo. Therefore if the price increase is a wash in the end, why not have the capability?

I guess it depends on where you live and what you do. Even if you are only going to pull the lever once or twice a year on rainy days, how much is that extra traction and security worth? You may not think you need the capability, but I bet you'll really appreciate the traction one day.

I use 4x4 almost every day because I'm out at the beach almost every day. I've seen plenty of vehicles do amazingly well in 2x out there ... but I've seen WAY more do not so well lol. The beach is a place where driving skill and knowledge are just as important as 4x4 capability so I'd probably be okay. I've never driven on crazy ass stormy snowy roads, but you can believe I'll be thankful for my 4x4 if that day ever comes.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Honestly, I love the FJ. I wanted the Utility look (5th Wheel on the back) I didn't want a Jeep because in Miami ( South Florida ) everyone has one. I wanted to stand out. However, with the style and look I was always knew I wanted the FJ. I had a company vehicle before so this would have been my first car in 6 years since switching jobs.

I didn't want a 2007-2009 4x4 because I knew most of those had 100k miles and chances are they had seen some trails or mudding. I didn't want someones left overs. I didn't want the hillbilly look but I didn't want the urban look either. For what I wanted the vehicle for the 2WD would do me just fine. In addition, it allowed me to move into a newer vehicle. In my case I picked up a 2WD 2012 for a reasonable price Toyota Certified with Warranty.
I wanted the 4x4 in a 2011 or up but it was out of my price point.

I go to North Florida a lot but there really isn't a lot of mountains or hills here so I don't need to worry about that. Dirt roads and gravel roads and grassy wet roads? Yes but the 2WD can handle that. Mud in that clay dirt would be the only thing I would need to worry about. However, as long as I don't get fender deep I should not need to worry.

My .02 cents

·
Registered
357 Posts
I went 2wd because I don't pan on off roading, didn't want the extra maintenace associated with 4wd equipment, wanted an FJ and the one I got came available when I started looking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I live in PR and just bought an '09 4x2. We've been here about 2 years and just been driving a Corolla everywhere which has been, to say the least, VERY hard on the Corolla. We like to go to beaches that are off the beaten path, drive up into the mountains which can sometimes be challenging, and sometimes take a ferry over to some of the smaller surrounding islands which have some very rough dirt roads. All that said, 4x4 was on my 'must-have' list when we started looking... However, all of the 4x4's we found in our price range had close to 100k miles. I found a 2x4 with only 50k and decided I'd would serve me. Ultimately, I bought it so that I would be able to get anywhere I want here - and I think it will be able to do it.

The fact that it has better mileage and less maintenance are just bonuses for me since it's not a daily driver. I have no plans of selling it, so resale value wasn't a consideration.

I do think I might eventually add a winch, just as a little insurance policy... But my estimation is the cost of a winch will (hopefully) be less than the added cost of 4x4...

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Your a Cheap Bastage !!!

·
Kajun Kim
5,489 Posts
Enjoy your ride whatever it is. I still have mine after 9 years. I am a Mother and now a Grandmother. Learn manners and love others. That's my post. Do NOT hate and think you are better than the rest because you are not.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Old thread I know, but I just bought a 4x2 FJ. I have admired them for years and recently pulled the trigger to get my first. I bought the FJ for the looks, size and Toyota quality. I bought the 4x2 I guess because I don't go mudding or rock climbing, mostly just a daily driver and a beach car.
Also I felt that since I was buying a used vehicle I felt that a 2wd was less likely to have been abused off road than a used 4wd model.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I own a 4x4 FJ Cruiser and a 4x2 FJ. I like driving the 4x2 more. It's more like a hot rod, a kind of classic big motor vehicle, rear wheel driven. The front end is more light and the vehicle is balanced better from the front to rear. I like both my FJC's but the 4x2 FJC is my go-to vehicle. It's feels more like a classic hot rod.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The 2/wd is the cat's meow. You are not hauling around 200lbs of transfer case and axels/u joints. 90% of the 4X4s never engage the fronts anyway. I have a 2007 bought new it only has 76K and drives like an Impala. Corners well plenty of power and great brakes. The locking rear axle has gotten me out of any stickable situation and I don't off road. The only problems have been a rear actuator replacement (cost $100 for the part, I did the work) Replaced the battery and new brakes at 60K. That is why I bought Toyota. I used to own a '76 Corolla and used that car like a jeep. It would never stick and off roaded like a jeep. The secret to not getting stuck is to use your head. Don't go some place without scouting out what is ahead. I love my headroom and seats. 12 years and counting.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Chango,

I realize this is an old thread. And maybe you're still in FJC universe or maybe not. Who knows? You might now be driving a Wrangler or Chevy Suburban.

Why a 4x2 FJC? As you know, I own two FJC's; a 2007 4x2 and a 2008 4x4. My 4x2 is more like an old 2WD International Harvester Scout that was designed for utility in the ranch environment without the heavy complexities of 4WD. In my 4x2, we just hop in and ride away in the dust. In the back, we throw in gardening soil, trees, plants, groceries, hardware, etc. Sure, the 4WD can do the same but the 2WD just makes things lighter and easier.

As for rock climbing and 4 wheeling, we don't do much of that. I don't see much fun in putting a vehicle thru all that mud slinging stuff and climbing over big rocks. This suffers a vehicle thru too much damage. Instead, we drive to big mountain peaks in Colorado and climb Fourteeners on foot.

Attachments

81 - 99 of 99 Posts