Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a bird **** on my FJ. Not thinking I washed it off using a microfiber and some detailer spray instead of washing it. It scratched the paint to hell. Marks all over. I understand I should have washed it, but wiping off with a rag and some spray should not cause that. Whats with the paint on these things?

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
I suspect your rig hasn't had a nice coat of wax slapped on recently? Wax definitely helps protect the paint, and makes it easier to remove bird **** and other foreign objects.

When I removed my sombrero, I wiped the glue residue with a paper towel, and put swirl marks/scratches on the paint. I just used a little compound wax and it's as good as new again :)

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't done a wax job in awhile but I use detail spray everytime I wash. I will try some compound on it.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Sometimes bird poop is just that, but it may also contain sand from dirt picked up while pecking at stuff on the ground. I don't think it is the paint's fault for not holding up to having sand rubbed into the surface. If it makes you feel better my father did the same thing to the roof of his $100k plus mercedes. Always hose it off. You don't know whats in it til its too late.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
I use this product to remove trail pinstripes;

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
I agree 100%, the FJ paint is thin and weakly bonded to the primer, so much so I have thought to file a consumer complaint with Toyota. Getting others to speak-up and conducting comparrison tests would be helpful, but what is the criteria for crappy paint?

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
A bird went on my door a week after I got the truck. Went to a spray and wash 24hrs. later. Now the paint is dull where the crap was. Also, paint is thin. any slight scratch mars the paint.

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
If you use a little compound, then wax over it, those scratches and swirls will disappear....

·
Registered
237 Posts
Paint is absolutely terrible. I made a thread when I first got mine and I got some dirt on the hood. When I washed it off I could see dull spots on the pain where the mud had been. This is without question the worst of the 8 Toyota trucks I have owned and most likely the last.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah between the ****ty paint, the knock in the steering and the shaking steering wheel in starting to get disappointed

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Maybe if you had a proper layer of dirt on there, the bird s**t wouldn't hurt it? Sorry, just kidding.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Yes the same issue here with me.it was my new car.i didn't like the color . so i just changed it.i don't know whats the matter ,some faded portions are there.it happened one week before,and i think its too late.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
Back during the Clinton administration, AlGore and his EnvironMENTALists gave the auto insudtry 3 months to reduce VOC paint emmisions by 50% . Remember all of the vehicles that lost their paint after a couple of years? Since then there has been a world wide push to do the same. Technology had made vast improvments since then but...

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have two spots on my hood where the bird poop actually ate through the paint to the primer. Happened fairly early in my FJ ownership. Within the first year. I guess it kind of gives me an excuse for a respray!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Paint will not protect the sheetmetal from trees. I drove into one on a trail, and it dented the **** out of the door... what gives? Pretty disappointed in Toyota for not incorporating armor into the paint job. Now I have to live with a caved in door. That, or pay a buttload for a door skin and more non-armored paint. :mecry:

·
Registered
115 Posts
So a bird **** on my FJ. Not thinking I washed it off using a microfiber and some detailer spray instead of washing it. It scratched the paint to hell. Marks all over. I understand I should have washed it, but wiping off with a rag and some spray should not cause that. Whats with the paint on these things?
Sounds like you may have wiped with the bird **** in between the microfiber cloth and the paint causing the scratches. Best method would be to soak the bird **** with detailer spray until it is soft and then lift the bird **** straight off the paint using a detailer cloth. Next, spray the area again and wipe away using a damp (detailer spray) microfiber cloth, while either changing or rotating cloths in between wipes.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I had a 2007 VB, and the paint was absolutely horrible. We had a wind storm that pitted out the paint so bad that the entire vehicle had to be repainted. The paint was awesome after the repaint.

I have just the opposite experience with my '10 (Sandstorm TT). The paint has been really great. I have beat the hell out of it on the trails with a good bit of pinstriping. After a good wax, I can't really even see the scratches anymore. I just wish there was something I could do about the fender flares and vinyl on the doors around the windows. I suppose the scratches there just adds character.

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
It seems the paint quality must vary because mine cleans up perfectly with wash and wax, except for areas with deep rocky mountain pinstripes. I've left bird **** on there for 2 weeks and upon removal, no issues.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts