Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
So a bird **** on my FJ. Not thinking I washed it off using a microfiber and some detailer spray instead of washing it. It scratched the paint to hell. Marks all over. I understand I should have washed it, but wiping off with a rag and some spray should not cause that. Whats with the paint on these things?
helbound13 - I have an '05 4Runner and follow some of the FJ threads. Same thing happens on my 4Runner and my wife's '08 Accord They are polished 4-5 time/year each and garaged all the time. Bird poop is the worst, just like tree sperm. If not washed off usually before 24 hours or less you can kiss the paint goodbye, especially on darker color paints where you can see the mark more. Only way to avoid it is not to part under a tree where sperm is located or birds like to fly around. I love birds, but when they poop on my 4Runner or my wife's car we become enemies real quick! Wife thinks I'm crazy, but I tell her that's why her Toyota Avalon had the paint fall off the hood because she parked under a tree all the time and never washed off the bird poop or tree sperm... Yup, bird poop is that bad!

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Bird poo has high levels of acids in it also sand and small gravel is part of their diet, so it is best to keep a good coat of wax on it. Tree sap has high levels of alkilyes in it and eats paint for breakfast so was promtly.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I live in Northern Va and there is a couple week period in the spring where the Robins here just go nuts !! They seem to intentionally crap as many times on as many cars as possible !! It is truly Amazing !! So every day for a couple weeks I would go to work a little early to rinse off all the bird crap that had covered my rig (they had a very convenient hose I could use) ... I would hose it off till near gone, then wipe gently to remove trace remainders and one day I noticed that .... I looked like someone sandpapered my door just under the side view mirror where I think they sit to empty themselves .... I was HIGHLY disappointed in Toyota's pain or clear coat after this situation ... was unbelievable ! And no .... I didnt clean it dry or use lots of pressure ..... Next year .... BB gun ...

·
Registered
3 Posts
That is odd. Maybe you have some type of radioactive birds. I have driven my army green FJ through all kinds of branches, taken rocks on the road, and actually scrubbed the paint with a tire bristle brush( I don't recommend this), and have almost no wear at all on my paint. I actually think it is quite a thick coat. Just my experience and opinion; sorry you had a different result!

·
Registered
39 Posts
My 2007's paint has held up decently with only some primer showing where small hard rocks have hit it and someone badly tried to remove the spare tire.

Also, NID That pic is amazing. I really want to put a few thousand miles on my FJ now and go to the east coast :p

Edit, I forgot my reason for posting after that picture.. Any of you had luck with dealer supplied paint touch ups for places the primer shows through?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Have to agree. This vehicle's paint is very weak. Of all the cars I have ever owned, the FJ, hands down has the lowest quality paint, even worse than the crap paint on a MINI I used to own. I am a Griot's dealer and use only the finest car care products, and use them often. I am a nut about this stuff. My 12 year old BMW has been used and abused for over a decade (not to mention by my toddler son) and it has held up MUCH, MUCH better than the paint on the Toyota. You LOOK at this paint the wrong way and it scratches or chips.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Also, NID That pic is amazing. I really want to put a few thousand miles on my FJ now and go to the east coast :p

Edit, I forgot my reason for posting after that picture.. Any of you had luck with dealer supplied paint touch ups for places the primer shows through?
Thank you Robert ... We have lots out here !! :rocker:

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Like someone has already posted, low VOC paint may be to blame. Knock on wood, mine is new and is holding up well. Last weekend we went through some pretty thick brush and small trees. I thought there would be some real bad pin stirpping after the mud was washed off, but to my surprise it was very minor (only one on each side).

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
First things first, bird poop is nasty, caustic, abrasive stuff. Birds use gravel and sand to digest their food...get it yet?

Squirt the bird poop with water, put a dripping wet towel over it, give it time to re-wet completely. squirt the towel again, wait, then remove the towel and hose off the poop. Don't even think of wiping till only the slightest bit of poop remains.

Do this as soon as possible after the poop attack for the best results.

My 2009 sun fusion paint is still shiny.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Bird poop has a lot of minerals in it. Nice and scratchy so be careful about scrubbing it off. I speak as a former exotic bird owner. Man those things can cr^p!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Dudes!

Have the paint scratches wheeled out.

Thought FJ's had clear coat on them.

Or Mequires scrath X.

This does not makes sense. My 2011 is fine after many bird droppings, bugs.

Also, the culprit could be environmentally friendly paint.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree 100%, the FJ paint is thin and weakly bonded to the primer, so much so I have thought to file a consumer complaint with Toyota. Getting others to speak-up and conducting comparrison tests would be helpful, but what is the criteria for crappy paint?
You couldn't be more right. My 08 is already due for a paint job because of the paint chipping every time anything hits the front end. Terrible paint...

·
Registered
7 Posts
the Anyone else seen this? My 2008 tt has rust spots appearing this is on the rear door but there are spots on the sides and leading edge of the roof. Must be pin holes in the paint but how? it isnt a chip on the back door and I"m pretty sure the paint would have bubbled if the rust was under unbroken paint. There is about 100 spots like this on the truck. Am I the only one?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
the Anyone else seen this? My 2008 tt has rust spots appearing this is on the rear door but there are spots on the sides and leading edge of the roof. Must be pin holes in the paint but how? it isnt a chip on the back door and I"m pretty sure the paint would have bubbled if the rust was under unbroken paint. There is about 100 spots like this on the truck. Am I the only one?
Try a clay bar.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
That's not your paint rusting, thats fallout from industrial junk and brake dust landing on the paint. Like stated before, use a clay bar to clean that off.

I have an 08' sun fusion, and I've had bird **** on it for days, and mud on it for weeks even, and it still looks brand new when I wash it. I guess the paint was hit or miss, but I have no issues and no complaints about my FJ's paint.

·
Registered
853 Posts
FWIW, mine has been a problem too. 2012 with TTSE Radiant Red. It cam from the port with a chip on the rear tailgate door, just above the trail teams badge. It's was promised to be fixed by the dealer when I bought it. Well, 5000 miles only and I waited too long, now my tailgate is different shade of red than the rest of the rig. Grrrrrrrrr. What a fiasco. They even proved it was darker paint when they touched up another spot and you can clearly see the darker red on the touch up area. Which I didn;t ask them to touch. My door brushed against the shelves in my garage, which I throw a towel over for that purpose. I need to entire swing of the door as I am just slightly disabled. I do think the paint is thin and am frustrated that it doesn't come factory clear coated. I guess that's so they sell you all that overpriced dealer option paint protection shield crap, which any new vehicle should not even be painted so thin as to warrant 'added protection' else why would the dealer offer it? I know they pushed it when I bought mine, they knew something I didn't, yet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What about getting a Ming paint protection put on it? Would that help, or would it be a waste of money?

*edit* Never mind. I read up on the Ming process. A friend of mine swears by it. It sounds like a bad idea now. Removes any clear coat put on by the factory, thereby weakening the paint job.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you that never occurred to me. I don't know what a clay bar is ( a bar of clay perhaps) but i'll find one and try it. thanks again
That's not your paint rusting, thats fallout from industrial junk and brake dust landing on the [email protected] Like stated before, use a clay bar to clean that off.

I have an 0
sun fusion, and I've had bird **** on it for days, and mud on it for weeks even, and it still looks brand new when I wash it. I guess the paint was hit or miss, but I have no issues and no complaints about my FJ's paint.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts