Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This rear quarter armor would be sweet. Especially with side bar..

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably because the surrounding steel isnt strong enough to hold the weight of the car. If you bolted something like this on then the steel along the edges of the armor would just buckle.
And they probably would on the vehicle they are on in that picture, but they still offer some protection and they are damn cool looking.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Seems to just trap moisture and rot out the panel. What's the point of protecting a panel that you are going to rust out?

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
They do make these for FJCs. I believe somewhere on here is a thread discussing the moister trap issue, and I want to say, it's easily avoided by "sealing" the panel on with some form of sealant, kind of like caulk, but not caulk. I don't believe anybody makes anything for the back corners though.

http://www.allprooffroad.com/fjtrailarmor/fjbodyarmor

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I have something similar on my Jeep and if you seal them they are fine.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Basically it comes down to the way the rear of the FJ splits between metal and plastic in the rear. The Jeep has rather flat sides with crisp body lines where the FJ is round and bulbus.

The other consideration is that there are so many more Jeep Cherokees out there providing a much larger target market for those making these panels. Whether you care to admit it or not, the FJ Cruiser is a very small niche market.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Basically it comes down to the way the rear of the FJ splits between metal and plastic in the rear. The Jeep has rather flat sides with crisp body lines where the FJ is round and bulbus.

The other consideration is that there are so many more Jeep Cherokees out there providing a much larger target market for those making these panels. Whether you care to admit it or not, the FJ Cruiser is a very small niche market.
So I should trade in for a Jeep then! :lol:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts

So you are saying the FJ is a small market with a big round butt?:cheers:

·
Registered
6,162 Posts

·
fka gremlin2050
1,775 Posts
You should do tube fenders! Weld into the frame and have them go up around the wheel well. It will look similar and be functional. Now that I am thinking about that now, I could have used that exactly about a month ago... bummer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts