Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I am a newbie, but the only practical reason I can see for increasing the tire diameter is to increase ground clearance.

But is the extra 1/2" or 1" in of clearance worth the money, lifts, potential body mount chop, etc?

Are there other reasons? What am I missing?

·
Registered
111 Posts
You answered your own question. However, the stock size looks a little silly with a lift. In that case, it's a slight aesthetic preference.

Look at it this way, if you were offered two different sets (one stock, one bigger) for the same price. Which would you choose?

·
Registered
353 Posts
'cause chicks dig it.... there is no other good reason.... :bigthumb: :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
Yes, I am a newbie, but the only practical reason I can see for increasing the tire diameter is to increase ground clearance.

But is the extra 1/2" or 1" in of clearance worth the money, lifts, potential body mount chop, etc?
It is worth it, depending on what kind of trails you're going to run with what kind of obstacles. In rocky terrain particularly, larger-diameter tires make a big difference on what you can get over and climb.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It is worth it, depending on what kind of trails you're going to run with what kind of obstacles. In rocky terrain particularly, larger-diameter tires make a big difference on what you can get over and climb.
OK...I get that.

But perhaps my math is wrong. Right now I have the OEM 265/70R17 which provides (according to spec) 9.6" of clearance. For me to add an inch of ground clearance (a 10% increase), I'd need to increase the tire RADIUS by 1" (or about 25.4mm)...yes?

To get 25.4mm additional sidewall height one has to go to an additional 36mm of tread width (25.4mm/0.7)...yes? Adding 36 to 265 means a tire like a 305 / 70R17?

A tire that big is going to require lift + maybe chop + no more indoor parking, yes? (maybe this is for another thread... ;-) )

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Because lower trucks are for guys who can't get it up:bigthumb:

·
Registered
136 Posts
'cause chicks dig it.... there is no other good reason.... :bigthumb: :lol:
LOL -- Maybe ******* chicks ;)

As I said to the wife this weekend.... I have no need for a winch or huge tires, because if there is an obstacle that requires I winch my $30k ride over it, then that means I'm going to be turning around and going back the way I came. haha I've been 4-wheeling on some pretty major trails, and I've never come across anything I couldn't get over with a pretty stock configuration. Some guys abuse their equipment on purpose, but that seems like more of a crazy obsession to destroy your toys and cost yourself money?

- Hakrjak :rocker:

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
They are GREAT if you like POOR gas mileage. .........:bigthumb:

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have no need for a winch or huge tires, because if there is an obstacle that requires I winch my $30k ride over it, then that means I'm going to be turning around and going back the way I came. haha I've been 4-wheeling on some pretty major trails, and I've never come across anything I couldn't get over with a pretty stock configuration. Some guys abuse their equipment on purpose, but that seems like more of a crazy obsession to destroy your toys and cost yourself money?

- Hakrjak :rocker:
Spot on Hakrjak :clap: ... It's a personal preference but I agree with you totally... And if you really get stuck, there are other (albeit slower, manual) options to get you out.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I've been amazed by the difference a small lift and one-size-up tires makes on keeping skid plates and bumper off of rocks. Even on relatively tame trails, .75" of increased clearance can make a substantial difference in how often your belly makes contact with rocks. It's probably not enough of a difference to make the truck with bigger tires wildly more capable but bigger tires are the only way I know of to increase clearance between the ground and your differentials.

Plus, a lifted FJ with stock tires looks a bit like a rollerskate... at least mine did.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
Larger diameter tires will make rocky or rough trails feel smoother, like when semi trucks hardly feel holes that will swallow your Prius. A

·
Registered
2,698 Posts

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Here is a Reason....

35" Tires....

35" Tires again...

Again....

and Again....

NOWWWWW.....

38" Tires....

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
:huh: I thought boys lifted em to keep the fat chicks out!
Noooo Nooooo Nooo, it was to compensate for someting they lack.... :thinkerg:

I saw this one driving locally this past weekend before he parked...

HERE's My LowRider FJ !.... :rocker:

:rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
No lift or large tires on my FJ either.

However, I did opt for the 16" TRD rims and a 265/75R16 tire. It has the same O.D. as the stock 265/70R17, but a softer ride on the rocky trail of the Summit, because when airing down there is more side wall to cushion the ride. Also, I have the LT version of the tire so I have a Class C sidewall rating. The stock FJ tires are the P (passenger) version, which have a lighter sidewall ply.

Also, it challenges you to become a better driver, as you must pick your driving line to avoid obstacles.

The only extra armor on my FJ are rock rails by Man-A-Fre.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Ground clearance, traction, floatation, agility, looks, proportion, your sexuality!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts