Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Decided to go for a half day trip with friends, out the back of a Pine Plantation not far from where I live here in Perth.

My friend runs a 100 Series cruiser (auto, on gas/petrol) and my current truck (at least till the FJ arrives) is a 98 GU Patrol (4 spd auto on petrol).

Majority of the tracks encountered were soft sand, so we decided to run about 16PSI all round, in 4-High, which did the job.

During the trip we encountered a fairly sharp incline, leading to a flat, raised up landing. The cruiser took 3 goes and couldn't get up, realising he was on gas, switched over to petrol and straight up. I tried in the Patrol a number of times and could get as far as the top, but not over the crest. The engine is tired (over 270,000kms - or 167,000 miles for the US folks) the wheels were slipping and I had no locker, hence it was all too much trouble for the truck. In the end I gave up and got snatched up.

Following that we stumbled on a 4x4'ers playground, lots of man made dunes, steep declines and soft boggy sand. On arrival we helped a bogged (old school) Pathfinder, before giving it a go, which caused us no problems and was rather fun.

After finishing in the playground, I pulled off and noticed the heat gauge go straight up to hot with coolant bucketing out of the car onto the ground. Turns out the water pump's bypass hose cracked and dumped the coolant, ouch!

Only way back to the main road, was a 25km tow by the cruiser, over 4x4 terrain with no power steering, brakes etc. Interesting! But we made it back to the hard stuff and the car was towed home.

The Patrol was repaired the next day and is back on the road, but needless to say, I wish I had my FJ and can't wait to go back there and test it out!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
The cruiser took 3 goes and couldn't get up, realising he was on gas, switched over to petrol and straight up.
What did you mean by this? Petrol is different from gas? Natural gas?

When are you getting your FJ? The locker and power will help out a lot.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Petrol over here is the same as Gas in the US. As far as I know you call it Gas which is short for Gasoline. Gas in Australia is LPG (liquified petroleum gas) which is the same as your Propane. Hope the mud is getting clearer for you.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
When are you getting your FJ? The locker and power will help out a lot.
Unsure of the delivery time yet, but I'm hoping for a June build and late July delivery (well that's what i've been told so far!).

Agreed, the locker and power would've helped me big time on this recent trip!! :D

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Only way back to the main road, was a 25km tow by the cruiser, over 4x4 terrain with no power steering, brakes etc. Interesting! But we made it back to the hard stuff and the car was towed home.
LOL - looks like the same tow truck that carried me 120km from Lancelin a couple of months ago after my front suspension caved in. The front of the car ended up sitting on its front wheels and couldn't be moved.

Where's my FJ ????

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HAHA yeah that sucks when you get stuck like that!!

We'll have to go out for a run off road, when we both get our FJs.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
HAHA yeah that sucks when you get stuck like that!!

We'll have to go out for a run off road, when we both get our FJs.
Absolutely - although my dealer rang me today and said July build August delivery :boohoo:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Argh that sucks, hopefully it comes sooner or worst case, no later than that! Fingers crossed mate.

Do you have a login to the Track my toyota website yet? IE, do you have a batch number yet?

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Nah - I haven't bothered. They're obviously reluctant to give it out for some reason and my guy rings me every week with an update so I'm OK with that.

I suspect that if the Hamura plant doesn't go back to full production in June, the estimates may all be wrong anyway.

The worst part about all this is that I've traded my current vehicle as part of the deal, so I'm kind of grounded off-road wise until I get the FJ. I haven't wished time away like this since I was a kid waiting for Christmas!

·
Registered
117 Posts
i sold my vehicle earlier than expected privately, dealer has lent me a aurion for the month long wait, for $18 day very fair i thought at short notice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts