Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we moved recently, and can't locate our extra FJ keys (probably in a box marked "kitchen Utensils".

Local dealership wants $45 for a new key, plus $75 for a tech to "program" the new to the FJ. Please note that this is not and does not include the key-fob part, just the actual key.

Now, I told the parts person that I new that the 07's did not use chipped keys, since I've read the threads and even seen MIKEY cut his FJ key up to show that there was no immobilizer chip in the '07 FJ key.

The parts person looked it up on the computer and it did say that the key would need ot be programmed.

So, here I am: I need an extra key, TOY says I need to pay to have in programmed, and I have Forum members saying it doesn't.

Anybody have the final word on this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
478 Posts
So we moved recently, and can't locate our extra FJ keys (probably in a box marked "kitchen Utensils".

Local dealership wants $45 for a new key, plus $75 for a tech to "program" the new to the FJ. Please note that this is not and does not include the key-fob part, just the actual key.

Now, I told the parts person that I new that the 07's did not use chipped keys, since I've read the threads and even seen MIKEY cut his FJ key up to show that there was no immobilizer chip in the '07 FJ key.

The parts person looked it up on the computer and it did say that the key would need ot be programmed.

So, here I am: I need an extra key, TOY says I need to pay to have in programmed, and I have Forum members saying it doesn't.

Anybody have the final word on this?

Thanks!
The key with the chip was introduced on '08 models. You can duplicate your current key anywhere that has a blank that matches yours.

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
Who are you going to believe: the Toyota Dealer(for profit) ? or us (non-profit):rocker:?

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
No chip in the '07 key - I've made spares and had no problem.

The '08 FJ has a chip in it, and has the keyless entry built in instead of a separate fob...

Ask your dealer to watch while they "program" your key - and then video it to show the Bureau of Automotive Repair, so they can assist you in having the dealer's repair license revoked....:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
no chip 2007, to prove it to tthem have them run your vin on toyota dealers only website, have them run a national, its like a copy of the inv with all options, if it had chip , it would say engene immobolizer system as a option

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ahhh, my faith is restored, Forum!

I'll make a standard key...

I like the input. And CruiserLarry, I thought of that too. The daelership would be in a lot of trouble if they "performed" and charged for this service.

·
Registered
773 Posts
1 Go get a hardware store key cut
2 Have them cut a key and magicly program it in front of you .
3 Then say to them "ok now lets try out the new key"
4 The dealership will be thinking you want to try their new key
5 Pull out the key you had made at the Hardware store and start the FJ.
6 Stare at the dude holding your $120 key

I hope he just hands you his key and walks away ,If he dont, make sure it is destroyed.

Little things like this will turn a bunch of people off of going to the dealership.

Things like Dragons breakdown run in with the dealership makes you want to deal with them.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
I think part of the confusion comes from that FJ introduced March of 2006 and was a 2007 year and later in 2007 they had the chip. Any good service person should know that but than again...
They don't even have to be a good service person - just one with eyes.:thinkerg:
The 07 key is a standard rubber-coated key, while the 08 has the keyless entry fob built onto the end of the key, with the chip inside of it. Doesn't take a genius to see the difference, and every person who sells or services the FJC should know the difference by just looking at the actual key.

·
Banned
2,364 Posts
1 Go get a hardware store key cut
2 Have them cut a key and magicly program it in front of you .
3 Then say to them "ok now lets try out the new key"
4 The dealership will be thinking you want to try their new key
5 Pull out the key you had made at the Hardware store and start the FJ.
6 Stare at the dude holding your $120 key

I hope he just hands you his key and walks away ,If he dont, make sure it is destroyed.

Little things like this will turn a bunch of people off of going to the dealership.

Things like Dragons breakdown run in with the dealership makes you want to deal with them.:cheers:
I would love to read about how this played out at the dealership... :popblood: :lol:

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Don't feel bad, my local Toyota dealer parts department couldn't even find the part number for the passenger-side armrest. They told me they could sell me the driver's side replacement for $250, but that there was no passenger armrest available. So I told them I found the part on THEIR parts website... He said, oh, well you better order it from there then and Brian (their Internet guy) will ship it to you.

I stood there in utter amazement... Don't these knuckle-draggers go through some sort of training on the vehicles they service?! Needless to say, I left before I said something to get me in trouble... I am doing so well with anger management... I haven't killed a moron in over a year. :lol:

Howls,
FJ Wolf

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don't feel bad, my local Toyota dealer parts department couldn't even find the part number for the passenger-side armrest. They told me they could sell me the driver's side replacement for $250, but that there was no passenger armrest available. So I told them I found the part on THEIR parts website... He said, oh, well you better order it from there then and Brian (their Internet guy) will ship it to you.

I stood there in utter amazement... Don't these knuckle-draggers go through some sort of training on the vehicles they service?! Needless to say, I left before I said something to get me in trouble... I am doing so well with anger management... I haven't killed a moron in over a year. :lol:

Howls,
FJ Wolf
I've noticed, too, that they HATE it when you show up with more information than they know.

·
Premium Member
13,655 Posts
You should tell your dealer you want one of these keys for your FJ.

I use this key all the time with no issues.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi MIKEY! Thanks for your past posts on this issue!

Anyway, I called the TOY Customer Care hotline, you know, just for grins.

They were actually very helpful (I guess if you don't call with fender bulges or cracked windshield issues...). They did confirm after some reserach that yes, my vehicle did not require a chip key, and even offered to call the dealership and set them straight. I said that that was not necessary since I had a reference number of the case if they want to dispute it further.

Any, thanks everyone!

BUT, a followup question: I wonder if the imobiilizer is on my vehicle, just not activated at the time of production due to time or some goofy insurance or state staute hurdle (I have one of the early production runs). I wonder if it could be somehow activate(?) Hmmm....

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
BUT, a followup question: I wonder if the imobiilizer is on my vehicle, just not activated at the time of production due to time or some goofy insurance or state staute hurdle (I have one of the early production runs). I wonder if it could be somehow activate(?) Hmmm....
No, the immobilizer was not available on the 07 FJC, and you cannot retrofit the immobilizer system onto the 07 FJC.

But you also don't have to spent $120 on a key...:clap::bigthumb:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts