Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With every other auto maker, you place your order, the factory accepts it and you're done.

With Toyota, the dealer has to "preference" a car that Toyota would otherwise be making and hope that they accept the changes.

So as an example, though my order was preferenced at the end of December, my dealer still has no proof that it's actually going to be built.

Frustrating to say the least, but I suppose if it's not here by April I'll either wait for 2012 or buy something else…

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm sorry, i'm not as familiar with FJs yet, but here is what I can't understand.

With any other toyota car (or any other brand, really), it is always much cheaper to buy it bare(or with few crucial pieces), and then install addons yourself.
What are those important preferences that couldn't be installed afterward, in the garage, by spending less $$?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Manual transmission, Convenience and Upgrade packages, in Brick.

So far for 2011, Toyota is only building MT FJs with the Convenience and Off-Road packages, save for two in the computer with the Convenience and Upgrade packages, but both in black.

No idea why.

With the FJ almost all other options can be added at the dealer or at port, so that's not the difficult part.

As an aside, note that if you are getting Toyota accessories (e.g. roof rack, trailer hitch, etc.) installed before delivery, you're better off getting them port-installed as installation labor isn't charged, where your dealer's service department will charge their standard $100+/hr labor rate to install them.

But in this case it's just about getting an '11 MT FJ with the Convenience and Upgrade packages - which was a pretty standard configuration for 2010 MT FJs - go figure.

(So far all AT 4x4 FJs seem to be coming with both by default, it's only the MT FJs where they seem to be rare.)

You can even see this on Toyota's "Build Your Own" 2011 FJ Cruiser page; if you select the MT FJ, under "Step 2. Options" you're only offered the "Convenience Package with Options," listed as:

Convenience Package with Additional Options $3,200

(AL) 17-in. alloy wheels with P265/70R17 tires

(CQ) Convenience Package-Remote keyless entry system, cruise control, power outside mirrors with illuminated markers, rear privacy glass, rear wiper, backup camera [7] linked to an electrochromic mirror with integrated backup camera monitor, and spare tire cover

(FE) 50 state emissions

(OF) Off-Road Package [17] - includes trail-tuned Bilstein® shock absorbers, electronically controlled locking rear differential [15], Active Traction Control (A-TRAC), floating-ball Multi-Information Display with inclinometer, compass, temperature

1 - 4 of 4 Posts