Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been driving for 40 years. In that time I've owned nothing but Toyota, Honda and Nissan. Yet, as I think about a 4x4, I'm wondering why I shouldn't consider a Wrangler (there are certainly enough of them on the road/trail).

Yet, many of you clearly believe that the Wrangler is inferior. I'm wondering why? MY use will be primarily dd (15 mi. round-trip). 90% of the time I will be the only occupant. Rarely will anyone ever be in back seat (most likely off-road only).

IMO, x-terra is ugly (so is FJ but in an appealing way). I do not like eithet the exterior or interior design of the x-terra.

Help me out.

edadis

·
Registered
963 Posts
Jeeps have never been known for quality workmanship. My grandfather owned a Grand Cherokee for many years and yeah, it was nice but it had alot of transmission and brake problems (it ate through rotors like there was no tomorrow). Older ones from the '70s and older don't seem to have as many problems but since Chrysler took them over it's been downhill.

- LC

·
Registered
40 Posts
A good friend of mine that lives down the street has a wrangler. It is
always having problems. The other day we were driving around and the passenger side mirror just fell off. I couldn't help laughing my ass off.
Three months ago he found and bought a mint 1999 tacoma 4x4 with
an ARB bumper and other goodies. He is so impressed with Toyota that
the Wrangler is now for sale.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I don't think the Wrangler compromises well (the ride, noise, ergonomics and overall features suck) and some would say they like it this way.

I like the fact that the fj is just as capable (or extremely close) yet will have a very good ride and a lot more comfort than the Wrangler.

The Wrangler IMO in not a good choice for a DD, it is probably well suited as a second vehicle to take the top off or doing some off-roading.

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you gotta ask the question you really don't need to know the answer. I love wranglers...minus the constant need for maintenance and the inability to have a conversation in one over 40 mph. Other then that wow great car...hey edadis...have you considered an element? It sounds like this might be right up your alley.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Jeep = overpriced and poor quality.

Sadly, it seems about par for domestic cars.

·
Registered
295 Posts
And if you ever wanted to tow something, the Jeep is not the way to go.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
csherrill said:
If you gotta ask the question you really don't need to know the answer. I love wranglers...minus the constant need for maintenance and the inability to have a conversation in one over 40 mph. Other then that wow great car...hey edadis...have you considered an element? It sounds like this might be right up your alley.
You have to be kidding? With ground clearnace of 6.9 in.? (not to mention all of the other inadequacies for going off road). I wouldn't be on this website if I weren't serious about the FJC or a legitimate alternative.

The element is not a legitimate alternative.

edadis

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
It wouldn't be a normal day on fjcruiserforums.com if csherrill didn't put down someone for looking at another vehicle. ;)

I owned 2 wranglers, a 94 and a 97. Overall I was happy with both. I did have a lot of recurring problems, mostly with emmissions equipment (O2 sensor, cat conv, etc...) Jeep stood behind their product and all were fixed under warranty. (even after my 3yr/36K expired)

Some people are willing to stick with a truck they like and just deal with the repairs as they come. If you decide on a wrangler just go into it expecting higher then normal repairs. Personally, I am tired of having my trucks in the shop and after owning 3 chryslers products in a row, plan on making a switch.

94 Wrangler
97 Wrangler
2003 Dodge Dakota Quad

·
Registered
86 Posts
I went on a 10 day vacation on 11/25/05. Put over 1000 miles on a rented 2005 Jeep Wrangler Sport that had 15k miles when I started. The miles I put on the Jeep were about 80% city - hwy and about 20% off-road / back-road.

Off road was fun, back road not too bad, but the city/hwy driving sucked big time. The Jeep didn't have enough room for my stuff either.

Based on this experience, I would never want to own a Wrangler sport.

·
Registered
228 Posts
granger said:
It wouldn't be a normal day on fjcruiserforums.com if csherrill didn't put down someone for looking at another vehicle. ;)
Where is the love...I recommended the element to someone out of the goodness of my heart. And this is what I get in return. By the way you never mentioned you owned two wranglers before...looks like going back to being one of the etc. for you.

No in all honesty I love Jeeps...I just don't have the knowledge to deal with them or fix them. Other then that I do really like the jeep. So that is more of a knock on me and growing up in an era where I have someone else change my oil, then it is on the jeep itself.

as for the element, matrix, and the H3...that is a completely different discussion.

·
Registered
181 Posts
csherrill said:
So that is more of a knock on me and growing up in an era where I have someone else change my oil, then it is on the jeep itself.

as for the element, matrix, and the H3...that is a completely different discussion.

Hahaha...you make fun of people owning or interested in the Matrix or Element yet you don't even change your own oil. :confused: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Just remember, you asked for this. :D

csherrill said:
Where is the love...I recommended the element to someone out of the goodness of my heart.
Posted on 12/28/2005

csherrill said:
I love honda. And before the FJ I loved the idea of the Element. But seeing it in person and sitting in it. It is a joke. It's a bigger civic and IMHO is not even in the same league as a FJ. As much as I hate Jeeps and Hummers...I can at least see how someone in the market for an FJ could settle on one. If you were truly in the market for an FJ then why an Element over a Xterra? Just curious?

csherrill said:
And this is what I get in return. By the way you never mentioned you owned two wranglers before...looks like going back to being one of the etc. for you.
I guess I should never have moved past etc... status. Back on 11/16/2005 I posted:

granger said:
I have owned 2 Wranglers, a honda civic and most recently a Dodge Dakota Quad V8.
You responded to my post. This was part of the infamous "Why shouldn't I get an H3? " thread.

All in fun ;)

-Granger

·
Registered
644 Posts
edadis said:
You have to be kidding? With ground clearnace of 6.9 in.? (not to mention all of the other inadequacies for going off road). I wouldn't be on this website if I weren't serious about the FJC or a legitimate alternative.

The element is not a legitimate alternative.

edadis

Hahah! Finally! I found someone that can agree with me that you can't compare the Element with the FJC. Been arguing about that for days with "Ship O Fools".

·
Registered
99 Posts
csherrill said:
...hey edadis...have you considered an element? It sounds like this might be right up your alley.

how is it i just start laughing hysterically at my monitor for no apparent reason whenever someone mentions the element?!?

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have always loved the Jeep Wrangler except for one thing: It's made by Daimler Chrysler and NOT Toyota!!! Oh how I wish Toyota built this rig. It would be one awesome quality built off road machine. The paint would be even, chassis nuts and bolts would be cadmium plated, the engine bay would be neat and tidy, etc.
I have read rumors that the new 2007 Wrangler replacement is going to be light years ahead in terms of safety, quality, and fit and finish. We will have to wait and see.

Upcoming 2007 Wrangler will be extremely close to this pic

·
Registered
644 Posts
Oh, and one pretty f'n awesome thing about jeeps. You can shove that tiny little thing into any nook or cranny. It's great! I loved my '97 4 banger Wrangler. I could go 4 wheelin where noone else could go with their gargantuan trucks. And I laughed all the way to the top of the mountain. I just took all the quad paths and hiking trails, and used my axe to cut down small trees that got in the way.

·
Registered
390 Posts
How about a Marine Corps Growler? Made from salvaged Jeep 151 parts, Only $100,000 per unit! Our hard earned tax money at work..

"Marine jeep contract under fire"
Newspaper says the Corps is harshly criticized for new vehicles that cost $100K each.
December 29, 2005: 8:45 AM EST

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - The Marine Corps is paying $100,000 apiece for a revamped military jeep that some critics call a rip-off of taxpayers, according to a news report Thursday.

The Marines budgeted to buy more than 400 vehicles, called Growlers, under a contract that could total $296 million including ammunition, USA Today said, citing Pentagon records.

Built by Ocala, Fla.-based American Growler, the Growler is made partly from salvaged M151 jeep parts and is available in several versions.

Four years ago, the Dominican Republic paid $33,000 for a version of the Growler, the paper said citing U.S. Export-Import Bank records.

A commercial version of the jeep costs just $7,500.

The Marines and the contractor, General Dynamics, said the vehicle has been thoroughly revised with modern automotive parts and adapted to fit on the hybrid airplane-helicopter V-22 Osprey, according to the paper.

"Yes, it did start off with jeep technology, and it does look like a jeep in a lot of ways," John Garner, the Marines project manager, told the paper. But he says it's now "state of the art."

The Marines' version has considerable upgrades from the commercial and Dominican models, the Corps and contractor said, including a turbo-diesel engine, disc brakes and other systems adapted from modern vehicles.

But some critics charge that the unarmored vehicle makes no sense for today's missions, the paper said.

Under current military safety rules, the Growler would be barred from service in Iraq except as a utility vehicle that doesn't leave the security of a base, according to the report.

"In a time of war, we should not be wasting money on a junker which will not protect our troops," Danielle Brian, executive director of the Project on Government Oversight, a non-profit group that monitors Pentagon contracts, told the paper.

The Growler is expected to be deployed with the V-22 in 2007, the paper said.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts