Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Idgits at Jippy Lube lost one of the bolts off of the filter housing on the wife's camry. I thought no big deal I'll just drop by my local dealer and pick up the $3 bolt.

Title of this thread tells the rest of that sad tale.

Manager at Jippy Lube got pretty excited when I informed him that the bolt was going to cost him $387 + tax! He came up with a replacement bolt in about three days.

Still,

Seems like about half the time when I need some piddly part from Toyota, the parts man informs me, with a wry grin on his face, that the part I need is only available as part of some larger sub assembly.

So I can either buy the entire sub assembly to get that one piddly part, or tough luck!

Piffle!

What I would like to tell Toyota is to make the piddly parts available for purchase separately.

Am I alone on this one?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
You probably can get it seperately. You need a new dealer - and make it known to them that you feel like they are hosing you.

My dealership routinely hooks me up with washers for the oil filter drain plug when I buy a new filter. I was asking about the 75W-85 diff oil and he told me to buy the 75W-90 from Autozone because it is WAY cheaper and is essentially the same (they only have the Toyota stuff in bulk, but was willing to order me the quart size). He told me to make sure I use new crush washers on the diffs ($1.40), but I could get away with reusing the brass (?) washer on the front diff drain plug if I wanted to save a cople bucks.

My point is – my parts guy is honest – and he knows he’ll get a LOT more $ from me in the future if he has earned my trust.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You probably can get it seperately. You need a new dealer - and make it known to them that you feel like they are hosing you.

My dealership routinely hooks me up with washers for the oil filter drain plug when I buy a new filter. I was asking about the 75W-85 diff oil and he told me to buy the 75W-90 from Autozone because it is WAY cheaper and is essentially the same (they only have the Toyota stuff in bulk, but was willing to order me the quart size). He told me to make sure I use new crush washers on the diffs ($1.40), but I could get away with reusing the brass (?) washer on the front diff drain plug if I wanted to save a cople bucks.

My point is – my parts guy is honest – and he knows he’ll get a LOT more $ from me in the future if he has earned my trust.
Not always true. There are some things that are considered (non serviceable parts) and they are not stocked by the dealer or Toyota North America. In those cases it is true that they have to buy an assembly to get them. Sometimes the dealer screws up (the technician) and when one discovers it the dealer has to cover the cost of the totally new item. In my case the TRD intake system comes without the grommets and sleeves to use as isolators for the vibration around the mounting bolts. The instructions call for the the grommets and sleeves to be removed from your original intake and put into the TRD. When my son had his installed at the time of the new vehicle purchase, and I had mine installed at the same new vehicle purchase on my own, the tech decided to just leave them out to help speed up the job. Saved about 5 minutes. Then he tossed the entire old intake into the trash. At about 4500 miles when I had to take it out to install the new aux battery tray I found the grommets missing. The parts guy came up with 4 (the original 3 for one vehicle and 1 for the other.) He's still trying to come up with 2 more but Toyota doesn't have them so he may have to buy an entire OEM intake to get the two grommets....on the dealerships dime because their tech screwed up. When they aren't there the plastic bottom gets warped and may crack. So there are parts they can't get and it's not a case of shafting the customer. It's just the way Toyota does it......in some cases. That particular offending Tech is no longer employeed there or so I was told. He should be in the very back of the unemployment line.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Dude I am with you on just selling the small part not the whole assembly. Good luck though because people are buying it that way so they will keep selling it that way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was told I needed to replace the ENTIRE rear view mirror on my 4Runner because a screw in the housing had rusted and was leaving a nice red trail down the mirror and the side of the truck. A 500 dollar mirror for a 10 cent screw.

Go wander around a upull junkyard, odds are they will have what you need.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts