Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am torn. I am not a Hummer Fan and I certainly don't have a great attraction to domestic vehicles, but why not an H3 instead of an FJ? Base model "Adventure Package" comes with Locking Diff and 33" tires for an MSRP of $30,875. With as far as the GM pants drop to move vehicles, how much is that? $26K?

Compare with Recent rumors of the FJ. $25K? Now add 4WD and basic options to get it up to par with the H3 Package. i think you will pay more.

So I put the question out to you. Not you, the hard core off road guy. Not you, the I have driven FJ40s since the inception. You, the guy who needs a utility vehicle, has lost the desire for the biggest vehicle on the market, and whos off roading is high tide in the sugar sand or the muddy trail. Why pay what appears to be a steep price for an FJ compared the actual buy price of the H3.

This is all assuming that the FJ 4x4 comes out priced in the mid to high 20s :cool:

·
Registered
181 Posts
UCFJWH said:
I am torn. I am not a Hummer Fan and I certainly don't have a great attraction to domestic vehicles, but why not an H3 instead of an FJ? Base model "Adventure Package" comes with Locking Diff and 33" tires for an MSRP of $30,875. With as far as the GM pants drop to move vehicles, how much is that? $26K?

Compare with Recent rumors of the FJ. $25K? Now add 4WD and basic options to get it up to par with the H3 Package. i think you will pay more.

So I put the question out to you. Not you, the hard core off road guy. Not you, the I have driven FJ40s since the inception. You, the guy who needs a utility vehicle, has lost the desire for the biggest vehicle on the market, and whos off roading is high tide in the sugar sand or the muddy trail. Why pay what appears to be a steep price for an FJ compared the actual buy price of the H3.

This is all assuming that the FJ 4x4 comes out priced in the mid to high 20s :cool:
That's easy......because it is a Toyota.

I could have bought an Explorer for A LOT less than my 4Runner but there is no comparison in quality, reliability, fit and finish, and resale value. I could go on and on.......IMO there is no comparison regardless of the price difference.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you want both sides of the story make sure you go to a Hummer forum and ask "why shouldn't I get an FJ cruiser?" You will have to filter through all the bias and prejudice, but you should get some good ideas from both sides.

IMO, the interior fit and finish are not as good in the H3 and it lacks a little in the power department (but better gas mileage). If you don't need four doors, why buy a true four door? As for reliability, mechanically there is nothing wrong with GM trucks, but the non-essential accesories (radio, power features, etc) is whole other story. the Toyota will probably be a bit more refined on road. And you might want to consider resale value if you don't plan to keep it a long time. The Humer might not hold its value because typically, American vehicles don't, but Hummer might be the exception because it is considered a premium brand.

Your best bet will be to drive them both, they are very comparable trucks and it will come down to your personal preference.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Wow saying there isn't anything wrong with GM trucks is like saying drinking too much beer doesn't make you fat.
Test drive them all you want. The FJ wins out over everything else comparable mainly based on reliability. I've owned three Japanese Cars in my life. And I have never had one complaint about them. The FJ will be my fourth and I expect the same kind of quality.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I think i can give you an unbiased opinion because i have a h2, have driven a h3 for almost 2 weeks, and i am getting a fj :D Can't do a direct comparison between a fj and a h3 because fj isn't out yet. But what can tell you is h3 is very capable offroad because i have seen them in action and yes i do take my h2 offroad when it's not picking up the kids and sitting at the mall :D

i also had a h3 loaner car, fit & finish is superb, imo, better than my h2 :eek: there were 2 things below my expectation on the h3 - power & gas mileage. granted, i wasn't easy on it because it wasn't mine :D but then again, most suv "real world" gas mileage are in the teens so don't let that 30 year old epa ratings fools you.

another downside of driving a hummer, it is the most hated suv in the universe, all the leaf lickers, jeepers, and uninformed individuals will do stupid things to you and worst case scenario - vandalism :mad:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Oh, another thing, the h3 are selling quite well so i don't think you can get that big of a discount on it, the h2 on the other hand you can.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I think UCFJWH should buy an H3.

In fact, I was a panel member for a HUMMER H3 focus group two years ago. I was also first in line to test drive it when it arrived.....
I think ALL OF YOU should buy H3's.

I take delivery of my Toyota FJ Cruiser in February.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I'm with Cheazhd - I think you should all go buy H3's. That way the line will be smaller at the Toyota dealership and I won't have to wait for you to get out of my way.

The only REAL hummer ever built was the one designed for the military. Yes, I drove it. Yes I drove it hard and beat the ever-livin' crap out of it. Yes, you can do the same. You can even purchase a military hummer from a company in Maine - used - for about $26,000. They also have 5-tons starting at $6K.

Now back to the real world. I won't own one of your crap-ass hummer products that is based off of another truck with a boxy crappy looking body stuck on top of it.

I will wait patiently for the FJ and I will spend mid- high 20K on it and I will totally enjoy passing each of you on the highway and the trail! So have fun with your Hummer.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Percy said:
I'm with Cheazhd - I think you should all go buy H3's. That way the line will be smaller at the Toyota dealership and I won't have to wait for you to get out of my way.

The only REAL hummer ever built was the one designed for the military. Yes, I drove it. Yes I drove it hard and beat the ever-livin' crap out of it. Yes, you can do the same. You can even purchase a military hummer from a company in Maine - used - for about $26,000. They also have 5-tons starting at $6K.

Now back to the real world. I won't own one of your crap-ass hummer products that is based off of another truck with a boxy crappy looking body stuck on top of it.

I will wait patiently for the FJ and I will spend mid- high 20K on it and I will totally enjoy passing each of you on the highway and the trail! So have fun with your Hummer.
UCFJWH,
If you do decide to get a hummer, above comments are perfect examples to what I was referring to. :rolleyes: If things like that bothers you, don't buy one because it's pretty much universal on any offroad forums you go to. Even on hummer forums you will see trolls coming in making the exact same comments.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Now, on the contrary, if you enjoy bashing hummers as much as I do...

Check out fuh2.com - freakin' hilarious. Just wait till I get a camera phone. I live in Vegas. There is at least a million tons worth of worthless lowered hummers rockin' spinners driving around out here. Soon there will be pictures of me flipping off each one of them.

So hurry, go get your hummer. I think some of the local wheel companies will give you a discount on spinners, too! Or you could just buy it from "the Chopper" his already have spinners!

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
Get what suits your needs, check them both out and make an informed decision. definately test drive both, thats the only way to get a good comparison. if it was me i would take the H2 on a test drive to the toyota dealership so i could compare them side by side, assuming the dealership you work with would let you. :D

I wouldn't touch a H2 with a ten foot pole, to big for me and i dont like to looks aside from the fact that im a loyal toyota owner. The H3 might be worth a crap, but i dont really know much except that they are smaller (better in my book) and supposidly underpowered (not so good). and theyr'e a chevy.

something of a side-track, how well do you guys thing the "H" series would have done if GM had called them something else and not bought the likeness rights for the real hummer?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Percy said:

Love this place already :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
cheazhd said:
I think UCFJWH should buy an H3.

In fact, I was a panel member for a HUMMER H3 focus group two years ago. I was also first in line to test drive it when it arrived.....
I think ALL OF YOU should buy H3's.

I take delivery of my Toyota FJ Cruiser in February.
Absolutely. The FJ is going to fall apart immediately, and will lose 50% of its value the second it rolls off the lot.

Also, it will give you hives and make your hair fallout.

Under no circumstances should you buy one, and you should warn all your friends not to buy them either.

NO ONE BUY THIS VEHICLE. IT IS A DEATH-TRAP-DIE-DIE-DIE MACHINE.

Seriously.

_shuffles off to make sure he still has his down payment deposit slip laminated and in a hermetically sealed cylinder_

Cheers,
prat

·
Registered
390 Posts
I understand this is a Toyota FJ forum and Hummer H3 bashing is expected, but hear me out.

My 75 year old in-laws purchased an H3 2 months ago and love it. No, they don't go off-road with it, but purchased an H3 for the styling, compact size, seats 5, and a 4 year/50 mile bumper to bumper warranty. It stickered for about $33K, and appears to be a good value for the money. I went over the H3 from front to back, and have to admit GM has nailed japanese fit and finish on the new H3. Panel gaps are tight and consistent, the paint finish is excellent, and the drivetrain is stout. All seat stitching is A1, and the engine bay is neat and tidy with plenty of room to work. The only flaw I could find is a very, very, very, slightly ajar interior dash panel.

They are getting about 16mpg around town, and the truck is not as underpowered as the press would have you believe. For around town the motor is peppy and responsive. The inline 3.5L 5 cylinder is smooth and quiet, and the tranny shifts smoothly. The smooth ride is was what really shocked me. Very nice.

Downside? Seating in back is tight, visibility is what you would expect from the tank styled side windows, and the "fake" H1 military styled rims look corny. A set of nice off road style aftermarket rims are a must.

The H3 gets looks from everybody. If you don't like attention, it's not the vehicle for you. They purchased a yellow one, and people see you coming a mile away!!! I must admit the H3 looks much better in person. The front suspension arms are heavy duty, and it uses simple and durable leaf spring suspension in the rear. This truck should go for at least 250,000 miles with proper maintenance and care. The abundant rebuildable and affordable GM drivetrain parts (differential, tranny, transfer case, etc.) will make this a popular off road vehicle down the road when a used H3 goes for around $10,000-$12,000.

They trade-in cars about every 2 years, so I am debating holding off on the FJC and purchasing their yellow H3 in a couple of years. Decisions...

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
mini2nut said:
I understand this is a Toyota FJ forum and Hummer H3 bashing is expected, but here me out.

My 75 year old in-laws purchased an H3 2 months ago and love it. No, they don't go off road with it but purchased for the styling, compact size, seats 5, and a 4 year/50 mile bumper to bumper warrany. It stickered for about $33K, and appears to be a good value for the money. I went over the H3 from front to back, and have to admit GM has nailed japanese fit and finish on the new H3. Panel gaps are tight and consistent, the paint finish is excellent, and the drivetrain is stout. All seat stitching is A1, and the engine bay is neat and tidy with plenty of room to work. The only flaw I could find is a very, very, very, slightly ajar interior dash panel.

They are getting about 16mpg around town, and the truck is not as underpowered as the press would have you believe. For around town the motor is peppy and responsive. The inline 3.5L 5 cylinder is smooth and quiet, and the tranny shifts smoothly. The smooth ride is was what really shocked me. Very nice.

Downside? Seating in back is tight, visibility is what you would expect from the tank styled side windows, and the "fake" H1 military styled rims look corny. A set of nice off road style aftermarket rims are a must.

The H3 gets looks from everybody. If you don't like attention, it's not the vehicle for you. They purchased a yellow one, and people see you coming a mile away!!! I must admit the H3 looks much better in person. The front suspension arms are heavy duty, and it uses simple and durable leaf spring suspension in the rear. This truck should go for at least 250,000 miles with proper maintenance and care. The abundant rebuildable and affordable GM drivetrain parts (differential, tranny, transfer case, etc.) will make this a popular off road vehicle down the road when a used H3 goes for around $10,000-$12,000.

They trade-in cars about every 2 years, so I am debating holding off on the FJC and purchasing their yellow H3 in a couple of years. Decisions.../QUOTE]

Here's the forum for you buddy H3forums.com. They really like the hummer, you'll fit right in.

Again, the H3 is not a hummer. Nor is the H2. However, if you like the way other GM vehicles perform - admittedly, they ride like a cadillac, right down to the crappy gas mileage - then go nuts man. No one here will stand in your way.

We'll be too busy waiting in line at the Toyota dealership!

·
Registered
204 Posts
mini2nut said:
I understand this is a Toyota FJ forum and Hummer H3 bashing is expected, but here me out...

They trade-in cars about every 2 years, so I am debating holding off on the FJC and purchasing their yellow H3 in a couple of years. Decisions...
No H3 bashing. We love it. We encourage everyone to go out and get one. Pay no attention to the FJ behind the curtain.

Did I mention that the FJ is going to have metal seats with no padding and, instead of a seat back, they will have a single pole with a piece of twine that you use as a seat belt?

Terrible vehicle, the FJ. Get a hummer.

Cheers,
prat

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
praetorian said:
No H3 bashing. We love it. We encourage everyone to go out and get one. Pay no attention to the FJ behind the curtain.

Did I mention that the FJ is going to have metal seats with no padding and, instead of a seat back, they will have a single pole with a piece of twine that you use as a seat belt?

Terrible vehicle, the FJ. Get a hummer.

Cheers,
prat
I love every minute of this!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, interesting responses. With the exception of Prat and Percy, I enjoyed the spirited responses. Percy and Prat appear to have a small hint of Bias ;)

As good practice, when I feel like I am close to making a vehicle purchase, I like to see what is at a comparable. The H3 was one of the first vehicles that seemed like it was in the range in power, capability, size, range, and price. I think that if both were in front of me with the same price tag, I may select the H3. My hope, as appears to be the hope of many on this forum is that the FJ will be a "surprising value". If the 4x4 version with reasonable options prices our close to $30K, it begs the comparison. In the high $20s is not a surprising value.

What surprises me most is the loyalty to a vehicle that none of us have driven. I, like many here, have the image that Toyota = Quality = High Resale = Longevity. But as the brand becomes prouder of their products, Toyota no longer equals great value. That now appears to be Scion. While I am interested in becoming a Toyota owner, I am not sold on the value of a 2 door 4x4 with no options in th $28k Range.

·
Registered
228 Posts
#1. Mini2nut, please stop posting a pic with every single post!!!! I know what a H3 looks like, I know what every Toyota looks like, I've seen every pic of the FJ Cruiser that I need to see. And if I didn't I would go to the gallery to view them. I'm tired of having to scroll through every single one of your stupid pics just to see the actual context of the thread. If you have a relevant pic...post it...if not keep it in the photo gallery like percy. It would be greatly appreciated.

#2. Not to dispel Prat and Percy's sarcasm, but Consumer Reports gave the H3 an overall rating of 26. Which would be really good if the scale was to 30...but unfortunately they base it on a scale of 100. The highs: off-road ability (never going to be taken off-road) and turning circle (oh joy!). Lows: acceleration, fuel economy, access, visibility, ride, heavy tailgate, and emergency handling. Good to know that in an emergency this baby would have a problem. I mean I was not in the military but I can't imagine the original Hummer having troubles with emergency handling, so clearly not true to its legacy.

#3. I live in a fairly affluent part of Houston, and when I see an H3 it is always accompanied by some prissy, big sunglass wearing, cell phone yapping, 16 year old girl. If that is the mold you want to fit into...then slip right in.

#4. The real reason not to buy an H3: because you are a man. And no real man would be willingly to buy an H3 knowing that it is the catholic school girl version of a real car. I mean why not just buy a Vespa or a miata. Something so that the ladies know you are a metrosexual and have a man purse.

PS. The FJ is a stinking piece of junk and should not be purchased under any cost. Please head back to your dealerships and withdraw your deposits for at least 4 to 6 months. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts