Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2011 with the base 6-speaker system and find the stock speakers horribly vibrate numerous plastic door panels when there's music with any deep bass playing, so I can't imagine how much worse it would be if I swapped the OEM drivers for aftermarket ones.

Do those of you who do this Dynamat the heck out of every conceivable plastic door panel first?

It's bad enough that I have to have the bass turned down to 0 or -1 most of the time. :(

Perhaps I should complain to the dealer, given I have a whole 530 miles on the clock, but it's not like they could really do anything about it either since it isn't a real "defect" per se, and I doubt adding Dynamat is considered a warranty issue…

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Felt is a good idea since it'd separate hard plastic from hard plastic/metal which is the source of your rattles. I don't have any rattles at all in my front doors with everything stock, so maybe there are problems with yours. Maybe you should pick up a used stock subwoofer or upgrade to some loud mud tires to drown out the rattle. :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
probably cause ts cold

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Sounds like you need the rear sub. I don't have that problem on my '07 with the 9 speaker setup. To me my setup sounds good. The sub woofer makes a big difference with filling in the bottom end.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The 6 speaker set up sucks hard... it sounds like you have sound coming from the doors only.. nothing behind you at all... Mine doesn't rattle at all though so you should get that checked out.. and unless they changed stuff up in 2011, you can't just add the subwoofer as it isn't wired for it..

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
This is the first stock system I've actually decided not to upgrade. My sequoia had $7000 in Tv's and audio before she burnt to the ground from the installer lack of skills. That being said I would dynomat everything or put a sub in the back and cap the front bass all together.

________
Vaporizer reviews

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
^^^^ Whoa now. And that is why i always have a big fire extinguisher in my vehicles at all times. If not for me, maybe to help save someone else ride.

Were you driving when it caught fire?

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
This is the first stock system I've actually decided not to upgrade. My sequoia had $7000 in Tv's and audio before she burnt to the ground from the installer lack of skills. That being said I would dynomat everything or put a sub in the back and cap the front bass all together.

Hey there, before the fire incident how was the Sequoia? Can you give me a review on that new generation Sequoia, My wife has an 02 LTD 4x4 Sequoia right now and we are about to go get a new one(She will only have the Sequoia), just would like some real-time input on the new Sequoia from someone who has one. Thanks

And not to Hi-Jack the thread, I dynamatted the heck out of my entire FJ, then upgraded the sound system.....I am really happy with the outcome of my simple system.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Funny story on a first date had dinner go out to the suv and clicked my alarm button and noticed it was full of smoke like a dumb a$$ I opened the door which fed the smoldering fire in the dash oxogen and boom it was up in flames. My friend owns the place we were at and we shot four extinguishers and got the flames to zero but couldn't get behind the dash and it just ignited again. It took the volunteer fire dept 20 minutes to get there and the police an hour. Vote yes for levies. lol.

The sequoia is a great vehicle one of my favorites but with my foot I was 10-12 MPG. Supercharged. Tons of power even stock and awesome for traveling with lots and lots of room. Awesome 4X4 for basic stuff and I think if you were to get in an accident you would win the safety challenge. I bought it to tow a trailer and I never knew the trailer was there when towing. Great turning radius, its an awesome vehicle. I would have bought another sequoia over the FJ but really don't need such a big vehicle anymore after the divorce. My Girlfriend actually talked me into the FJ and I like it so far but wish the rear seats had better leg room. If you buy one make sure you get the 5.7 not the 4.7 much better motor with lots of TQ/HP. I highly recommend the sequoia and you can get 20mpg if you keep it at 70-73 on trips.
________
Cannabis seeds

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Funny story on a first date had dinner go out to the suv and clicked my alarm button and noticed it was full of smoke like a dumb a$$ I opened the door which fed the smoldering fire in the dash oxogen and boom it was up in flames. My friend owns the place we were at and we shot four extinguishers and got the flames to zero but couldn't get behind the dash and it just ignited again. It took the volunteer fire dept 20 minutes to get there and the police an hour. Vote yes for levies. lol.

The sequoia is a great vehicle one of my favorites but with my foot I was 10-12 MPG. Supercharged. Tons of power even stock and awesome for traveling with lots and lots of room. Awesome 4X4 for basic stuff and I think if you were to get in an accident you would win the safety challenge. I bought it to tow a trailer and I never knew the trailer was there when towing. Great turning radius, its an awesome vehicle. I would have bought another sequoia over the FJ but really don't need such a big vehicle anymore after the divorce. My Girlfriend actually talked me into the FJ and I like it so far but wish the rear seats had better leg room. If you buy one make sure you get the 5.7 not the 4.7 much better motor with lots of TQ/HP. I highly recommend the sequoia and you can get 20mpg if you keep it at 70-73 on trips.
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I have the 6 speaker setup, so speakers are 2xDash, 2xDoor and the two "exciter" headphone drivers in the headliner.

I will be adding the rear speaker kit from Bazooka to try to get a little rear fill, but even a sub won't help if something isn't done to stop the bass from the door speakers from vibrating the door panels and causing them to rattle, and nothing about adding a sub will roll off the bass being sent to the doors (both of them.)

You can tell it's the door panels by feeling them; at least in the 2011s the door speakers are causing them to really, really vibrate on the 6-speaker system; perhaps the new base speakers are a little too good on the low-end for their own good…

·
Registered
143 Posts
Honestly the whole issue is just from being a terrible stock system. though an aftermarket system might have more bass its going to be better quality bass. plenty of guys on here have conservative to full out systems and i have yet to read about one that rattled too much. just junk the stock system and you cant go wrong. the only speakers i havent gotten around to replacing are the door speakers but ive added the rear and replaced the fronts. way better quality sound.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Perhaps it's because the 2011 has a pitiful amount of vibration-absorbing felt on the door panels - if you look at the attached picture from another thread, most of the door is felt-less and free to vibrate like what the exciters attempt to do with the headliner. :)

Most of my bass rattles come from the area of the center door panel that's painted on UP FJs but is black on mine and areas above the holders in the door, all areas you can see in the photo are just bare plastic here:

I could solve it by Dynamatting but it sounds like I will need a complete set of door clips as it sounds like they have a propensity to shatter rather than remove cleanly on the 11s.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
My stock speakers were fine. Upgraded ones rattled like crazy. I put dynamat around the speaker area and all was quiet. Be carefull with the clips, but they aren't old and brittle, so they really shouldn't break. I've had my panels off a few times, and haven't broken one yet. :cheers:

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
460 Posts
wow those fire pics are frightening..

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I've got a 2011 with the base 6-speaker system and find the stock speakers horribly vibrate numerous plastic door panels when there's music with any deep bass playing, so I can't imagine how much worse it would be if I swapped the OEM drivers for aftermarket ones.

Do those of you who do this Dynamat the heck out of every conceivable plastic door panel first?

It's bad enough that I have to have the bass turned down to 0 or -1 most of the time. :(

Perhaps I should complain to the dealer, given I have a whole 530 miles on the clock, but it's not like they could really do anything about it either since it isn't a real "defect" per se, and I doubt adding Dynamat is considered a warranty issue…
hey bill ... first off, adding the bazooka (its great!) will help because you can send only higher frequencies to the door speakers = less rattle ... hrm i suppose fjammer has no x-over .. some capacitors would do it. im not sure at what frequency you'd want to wire them in. its a cheap way to take the bass out of the doors since you'll have it in the back.

re dynamat, a little goes a LONG way for reducing rattle ... must be the 2011 ... i had no rattle in my stock 2010 and i cranked it. and i've never had a door that came off easier ... break a clip? auto parts store couple bucks. some cheap closed cell foam might absorb the rattle as well. the door (on the 2010) comes on and off so easily, ... well its easy to try out ccf or some variant of dymat

to be honest, i would complain .. they should put a minimum amount of foam in the door that it doesnt rattle

last thing - maybe someone mentioned it but i advise to disconnect the headliner 'speakers' they suck. fade to them and see ... they're awful.

i dont rmember specs on the bazooka but find out what frequency it handles, then get capacitors (non-polarized) to meet that value (to block to the low frequencies to the doors) ...

2cents

1 - 18 of 18 Posts