1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was going over pictures of my FJ before buying it and having it shipped,
It definitely had a factory radio.

It arrived with this.

And this manual was in with the factory manual.

The left steering wheel controls do control it.

My phone does hands free speak with it, and it does stream my Bluetooth audio. I have not hooked my iPod in yet.

But I have to pick up my phone, tell it to call someone, then set it down. The steering wheel controls do not do anything.

I got the Toyota platinum VSA,
It would have covered a bad radio.

I’m not sure why they went this was done and have not heard back.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I don't know that particular Kenwood head unit, but did find that the factory radio head unit was awful and replaced it almost as soon as I got it because it was so hard to read with sunglasses on, the audio was nothing special and it was so out of date (no navigation, bluetooth, SD card capability, satellite radio, only 1 USB, and so on).

Regarding the one set of buttons not working on your steering wheel, there are adaptors which can make them work, contact Crutchfield for it. If in a dispute with the seller, maybe the $40 or so for the adaptor can be a part of the resolution. Or, if not, then anyway, it ought not to cost too much to rectify. Just a bit of a hassle to have to do it.

Norm

·
Premium Member
2,405 Posts
Maybe the OEM radio was bad? You said the steering wheel controls do control it and then they don't do anything?

The same FJ? :wink

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe the OEM radio was bad? You said the steering wheel controls do control it and then they don't do anything?

The same FJ? :wink
They have not gotten back to me yet.

The left side controls work for the volume, change station, etc.

The right side voice/call/Hangup buttons do not do anything.

Edit- if the radio quit I could have replaced it under warranty.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just grab a Maestro SW or whatever works for that head unit, hit the two/three wires you need to connect to, and get your radio buttons back.

Edit: Researched your model there, the Kenwood eXcelon DPX593BT, and that is compatible with the Maestro SW. So just so you know how that works, the SW runs about $40, you pull the head unit and clip/solder (or just tap) two to three wires plus power and ground, depending on the instructions of the unit. It usually goes quick, in like 10 minutes I can get one going if the wires are easy to reach. The SW is programmed via a computer, from the Maestro website. The buttons can be programmed with momentary push commands like volume up and down, and hold commands like hold to mute or dial, or whatever you want. You can re-program later on a different vehicle if you want. I've run the same SW in 3 cars, from a Mazda 6, to a WRX, to my FJ, no issues.

That head unit is a decent non touch-screen type double din, btw. It even has time alignment and crossover control. This can make a HUGE difference in sound quality, IF it is properly tuned. Granted, its not going to win a sound competition, but its a massive upgrade from the factory radio.

·
トヨタ Master
5,794 Posts
Are you sure they shipped you the right FJ? Same VIN number? This seems more important than the radio stuff. :|

I have a Kenwood with the steering wheel controls integrated. It works fine. I didn't ask how they hooked it up. I provided a small pile of cash to a friend who runs an auto electronics store.

·
A-Team Moderator
8,198 Posts
An '11 JBL is "awful" & "inadequate" ?

My phone pairs to the Bluetooth and I hear "her" giving directions or make a call over the FJ's speakers.

Why y'all need giant touch screens, GPS, SD cards and more than 1 USB? I have over 550 songs on a thumb drive. Time/Life's Greatest Rock Hits of the 50's, 60's and 70's. :grin :rocker:

But I come from owning a FJ40, top & doors off and GO! K.I.S.S.

I can see why the OP is upset, buying one thing and having another arrive. Good Luck, I hope they sort it out!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts