Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently running 285/70/17 Firestone Destination a/t's on the stock alloy rims. I'm looking to get a wider stance but don't really want to use spacers. Can this be done with a different backspacing on new rims, a wider rim, or is this really not possible with my current tires even if I get a wider rim?

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
you can get rims with less backspacing, which
will move your tires outward... you don't want
to get too wide with the rim width due to your
tire size...

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you can get rims with less backspacing, which
will move your tires outward... you don't want
to get too wide with the rim width due to your
tire size...
Do you have a backspacing in mind? I'm not sure what the stock backspacing is, i want to say 5.5" though. 8-9" rim width? suggestions?

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Check out the American Racing ATX line...They tend to give that more aggressive stance.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
stock back spacing is 4.5 and rim width is 7.5 or 8 depending on which stock rim, so going with a 3.5 with an equal rim width of the same has you have will gain you 1 inch width on each side of the FJ, for a total of 2 inches...

Now if you go to a 9 inch rim width from 8 inch for example, you gain another 1/2" for each side, a total of 1"...

I am using the spidertrax 1.25" spacers with the stock steel rims, which I did so for simplicity and plus I like the stock steel rim looks...

keep in mind, going wider will cause the front tires to have more of a chance to rub while turning, so a body mount chop is a must, and depending on how much wider you go, there could be other issue with rubbing too....

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
I'm in the process of upgrading my wheels and tires...

I'm going from a 16x8 - 4.5" backspacing - 0mm offset...to a 17x9 - 4.5" backspacing - (-12mm offset)

This will push the wheels out by going to a negative (-) offset. I'm gaining an inch of width on the front side of the wheel...Some chicks dig that...hardy har

As stated, the more negative offset, the more the tire and wheel will stick out. A lower offset will do the same...Take into consideration articulation and rubbing.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I am currently running 285/70/17 Firestone Destination a/t's on the stock alloy rims. I'm looking to get a wider stance but don't really want to use spacers. Can this be done with a different backspacing on new rims, a wider rim, or is this really not possible with my current tires even if I get a wider rim?

Any help appreciated.
Too wide a stance can lead to trouble. Just ask former Senator Larry Craig:lol:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm in the process of upgrading my wheels and tires...

I'm going from a 16x8 - 4.5" backspacing - 0mm offset...to a 17x9 - 4.5" backspacing - (-12mm offset)

This will push the wheels out by going to a negative (-) offset. I'm gaining an inch of width on the front side of the wheel...Some chicks dig that...hardy har

As stated, the more negative offset, the more the tire and wheel will stick out. A lower offset will do the same...Take into consideration articulation and rubbing.
What are you upgrading to?

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
What are you upgrading to?
305/70-16 tire

To: 17x9 - 4.5 backspacing - (-12mm) offset
305/70-17 tire

You could go with 17x9, 4.5 backspacing and -12mm offset...That would push your wheels out about an inch over what you currently have using the same tires.

There's a ton ton of "wheel" and "tire" threads on here...You gotta dig and search to find what will work and what wont...

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
305/70-16 tire

To: 17x9 - 4.5 backspacing - (-12mm) offset
305/70-17 tire

You could go with 17x9, 4.5 backspacing and -12mm offset...That would push your wheels out about an inch over what you currently have using the same tires.

There's a ton ton of "wheel" and "tire" threads on here...You gotta dig and search to find what will work and what wont...
I meant which wheels. Playing it close to the chest eh? haha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts