Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was at wendys today and i was in the process of letting off the brakes and i hear a creeking noise, now this noise sounded like it was coming from underneath behind the tranny probably drive shaft noise but does anyone have a thought or similar experience. My drive shafts need to be greased i know that but just want to make sure its not something else.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
I don't mean to scare ya but I was gettin a clunk after what used to be a creak, I thought it was a U joint or a grease prob. what I found out is that what used to be a squeak and is now a clunk is the forward lower trailing mount is getting ovaled out. it used to be a hole and now it looks like an egg. if you plan on checking this make sure you have a rachet strap or it will be a beeyatch to line the bolt hole up again.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
crap are you serious, i know one of them is bent up i put the all pro skids on them and the dealer didnt say anything about them but that was 5k ago.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
crap are you serious, i know one of them is bent up i put the all pro skids on them and the dealer didnt say anything about them but that was 5k ago.
yeah check em bro, also it could just be over tightened, but those things are the achilles heel of the FJ. Easy and cheap fix at any weld shop. Just gotta buy a longer 8 grade bolt.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Picture of the trailing mount anyone?

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
not on hand but they are the little things that hang off the frame right forward of your rear wheels, they got the long bars that connect to your rear axle, get the shizzle beat out of em every run. someone will post em up.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so are you thinking its not the drive shafts that need to be greased? Because it sounds like if you grease it, it would go away.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
grease em it wont hurt..there are zerk fittings its really easy..do it until you see some come out and your good to go! I oil everything rather regularly and i live in the dry desert:D

You mean rear lower links..so many names:rofl: my bushing are shot too.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
You mean rear lower links..so many names:rofl: my bushing are shot too.
yup, it was actually the forward bolt holes that were getting streched, ithought it was my bushings too but I replaced them with the allpro's like 4000 miles ago.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ya im going to grease the drive shafts to see if that helps if the noise goes away thats good if not i no what to look for, does anyone have any pics of one thats bad?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Is the noise gone? whats the status?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
noise is not gone greased drive shafts and the trailing mount is normal. Im thinking its the brakes anyone else hear this when they lightly let off there brakes??? Its going in this week anyways, other bad news is i found a bulge in the inner fender

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
When i've gotten rocks in the brakes or debris.... yes, but after applying them a few times it usually goes away. Go to the dealer they probably wont even charge ya..I had some noises with my UCA's due to them not being greased..I had forgotten so I went to the dealer they had me turn my wheel side to side and right there in the line they figured it out:rotfl: I felt like such a dur dur!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts