Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The article specifically said they tried to make contact on a rock for a picture, but only managed once. I don't know the difficulty of the trails they rode, but that seems promising to me.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
I don't know how strong/think the walls are. I'd rely on strength first and the engineering angle second. I don't know that the angled LCAs are a bad idea. I've seen photos of them before but never saw any of them in action so I'll reserve judgment.:indifferent:

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
The article specifically said they tried to make contact on a rock for a picture, but only managed once. I don't know the difficulty of the trails they rode, but that seems promising to me.
I'd like to see that. Maybe you can try them out for everyone.

Im usually weary of items that require you to contact them for pricing. Because it's usually to high priced for me. :lol:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
There's an article in the latest 4wd Toyota Owner's magazine. It does seem like it would work. If the links are strong, I would rather have angled vs. straight. The picture on the website is not from a FJ. Looks like a 80s series. I like the idea. More details from the site about construction and testing would be helpful.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I wood do heavier duty straight links,cause I would rather drag/scrape the link than the gas tank or muffler or whatever.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
I think Fjcruiser123 is lookin into these... he mentioned them to me not to long ago... maybe he'll chime in...

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any more info on these?

·
Registered
141 Posts
looks like a good idea to me.
just need to find out how much $$$

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
How much $$ and what's it made of? I like the idea.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
I like the idea of this but it makes me worried that it maybe vulnerable in that particular bend spot. Right now I have the OEM boxed in with some L piping boxed around it..so far pretty sturdy...but I'll tell you..once those OEM trailer arms bent there was no going back. We ended up taking it off 1/2 through the cliff hanger with the traills team... drove over it.. and then rocked the fj on top of the lca to straighten it out... put it on backwards hoping that the bend wouldn't fold as easily...by the end of the trail..it was demolished.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I want to bring up this older thread...did anyone ever pick up any of these "cranked" LCAs? Anyone ever price these out?

I've been thinking of upgrading - these sound neat, but has anyone tried them out? Their write-up in 4WD Toyota Own Mag was pretty positive, but looking for more.

Here's a pic from their site off an 80

·
Registered
685 Posts
I built my own trailing arms and thought about doing them this way, but with how short the arms are, and where you can make them bent doesn't make a huge difference in the area that usually hits--right in front of the tire. Also, by making them straight it offers a bit of protection for the drive shaft should you go up or down any ledges. That, and $500 seems way too high. I'd go with some heavy duty ones like toyoutfitters or all pro.

·
Registered
161 Posts
BMP Really interested in these but would like to hear from someone that has tried them.They are to expensive to buy if they arn't any better then the strait ones.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi everyone! Someone referred me to this thread and asked if I could post up a few pictures and give a little tech information.

There are already some great LCAs out there, no reason to come out with yet another straight arm to flood the market, so when designing our LCAs we wanted to do something not available on the market currently. We figure if we come up with something more to offer the user, something that offers advantages both in strength and performance, then we'll have a good product.

Here is our arm compared to the OE FJC arm:

As you all know the reason for stronger arms is to keep them from bending when they make contact with off road obstacles. We figured if you first keep the LCAs away from the obstacle you could get your tire to it before the arm makes contact.

LCA on the obstacle = no traction

Tire on the obstacle = traction

Case in point, here is a 100 series Land Cruiser with modd'ed OE LCAs, note how far ahead the cooler is before the tire makes contact.

Here is the same cooler under the same 100 series, but now with a set of our LCAs installed, note that instead of contacting an obstacle with the LCA, your tire can now make first contact and climb right up.

We next decided to make them stout and we use 1.75"x.250 American made 57,000KSI DOM with 2.75"x.280 wall bushing rings.

We then decided to add a little more overkill by adding in 3/16" skids at the tube to bushing ring junction. Not that our rings have deflected, we just wanted to eliminate the possibility of any deflection. Plus they look cool... :D

In short we figure if we build them not to hit plus build them stout, how can you go wrong.

For the bushing we use new OE FJ80 Land Cruiser bushings. They are larger diameter than the FJC units for more strength and being rubber, they will not add any extra vibration or noise to the mix. The FJ80 bushing take a larger diameter bolt so you have 2 choices, you can drill your mounts out to 18mm and use FJ80 bolts or the more popular option is to have us sleeve the FJ80 bushing to allow you to use your factory LCA bolts.

The FJ80 bushings are one of the reasons for the cost. The OE FJ80 bushes are $45.00 per bush new and we use 4 of them per pair of arms.

We haven't sold a ton of them, they're still new to the market and we are only building them in small batches (just finished welding up a batch today and took the pics before they went to paint :)). But there are a dozen sets or so of both the FJC and the FJ80 Land Cruiser LCAs out there.

Are they the best thing on the market? We like to think so, but it is only Weds. and who knows what someone will come up with tomorrow.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Beautiful looking LCA's I would be interested if one end of it had a heim or a joint of some type.

scotty

1 - 20 of 21 Posts