Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I woud really like to try to visiualize whether this would work. Has anone placed this unit behind the passenger seat? It is 12inches deep, and 21.5 in long, and 14.5 in high. It wouls seem to require the psngr seat to be moved forward on its rails quite a bit, giving that economy legroom expereince to any passenter.

Engel MT17F-U1 16 Qt Portable Refrigerator / Freezer

they make the miniature 14 qt one but it seems much smaller even though it is 7/8 the internal volume of the larger unit.. It will hold 21 standard cans vs 24 for the larger unit

Engel MHFD-015E-D Portable Refrigerator-Freezer / Warmer

37 lbs vs 23 lbs. thoughts either way ?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't have the Engel and it's not mounted behind the passenger seat, but I do have an ARB 45 mounted behind the driver seat.

I pulled my back seats out and mounted a flat platform where the seats were. Then I mounted the Engle slide-loc on the platform and hooked the fridge to it. The fridge sits with the opening facing the back of the driver seat and the hinge facing the rear of the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Thanks for the pics, looks good.
It is lower too than mine on the cargobox.
With it lower like yours, you can open the lid higher up to see the goods.

Will your method work if you just pull the rear left seat only,and still keep the right rear?

What I would like to do is to be able to load my long camping stuff from the right rear like the Cabela's Kitchen and Picnic table.

I may end up doing this mod too, the guy is now selling a kit to relocate our door hinges.
ARB Fridge would be cooler if it opened like this. - IH8MUD.com Forum

·
Registered
83 Posts
With it lower like yours, you can open the lid higher up to see the goods.
Yes, it's easy to get stuff in and out and to see what's there. I also have baskets in there to give me multi-level storage.

Will your method work if you just pull the rear left seat only,and still keep the right rear?
I think it will, but you may have to make your platform stick over the side of the seat base a little to give you enough room.

What I would like to do is to be able to load my long camping stuff from the right rear like the Cabela's Kitchen and Picnic table.
I am just finishing a sleeping platform that sits above the water can you see in the pic and extends to the fridge. This way I can still store long stuff on the passenger side and still have storage between the water can and fridge underneath the long storage area. I have the frame work built and I just need to cut the top for it and make a removable extension to extend the sleeping platform. This will come in handy on our NWT,YT and Alaska trip in July.

I may end up doing this mod too, the guy is now selling a kit to relocate our door hinges.
ARB Fridge would be cooler if it opened like this. - IH8MUD.com Forum
I saw this mod a while back and have considered doing it, but so far the regular way of opening is working fine. Although, after two months of running the fridge 24/7, my stock battery is starting to give up. My new odyssey replacement will be here Sunday so I should be fine.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well I purchased the 15 quart engel. It fits behind the seat fine, but the interior storage volume is just too small. It also is loud too 45 db vs 36 for the larger units. But it gets very cold if you put it on max (-5F) and only uses 3.7 amps or so at max. At fridge temp it would use much less duty cycle so the average current draw would be probably 2 amps.

Because it is so small I am going to return it and explore other options. I think I need to examine removing the rear seats to allow install of a larger expedition worthy unit.

THe engel products are clearly of very high quality. But the 15 qt one is just too small inside for me

·
Registered
83 Posts
White Rim,

Sorry it did not work out for you.

If I am remember correctly, the Engel/ARB 34 and 45 have the same footprint size.

For that reason, I went with the 45 and have not regretted it. I chose the ARB over Engel, just for the convenience of having an integrated themometer.

The average draw on my 45 is 2.2 amps on setting number 1, which keeps fridge temp between 35 and 38 degrees.

Of course, the more you have in it, the less the fridge runs once everything levels out.

I run mine in my rig 24/7 and can go two to three days without having to start the rig using the oem battery as long as outside temps stay below 100 degrees. When it's over 100, I need to start it once per day.

I just put an Odyssey 1700MJT in today, so I will need to experiment some to see how much actual run time I get from it, but I expect around the same.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Just a hint - if you are running 24/7, throw a wool army surplus blanket over the top of the hinged lid portion (NOT the vented compressor section in the rear).

I do that over the top of my transit case and it greatly reduces the amount of cycling needed on those very hot days.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for the info, I will give the blanket a whirl. I like the transit bag it makes a big difference in the amount of cycling.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts