Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey friends! I hit a deer and cracked my OEM bumper, side mirror, and added some paint scratches. I am filing a claim and was wondering if anyone has had experience with their insurance paying for an aftermarket bumper rather than replacing the plastic OEM. It seems as though I read a thread about this exact situation but after all searches, I cannot find it.

·
Premium Member
9,345 Posts
You have the right to replace it with the bumper of your chosing up to the value of the damaged one. In some cases the aftermarket will cost less than the OEM which helps with your deductible.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
You have the right to replace it with the bumper of your chosing up to the value of the damaged one. In some cases the aftermarket will cost less than the OEM which helps with your deductible.
What WILSON said ^^^^^^!

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have several dents in my OEM rear bumper and keep hoping someone rear ends me gently enough to get insurance to buy me a new one....I plan on using that money to get an aftermarket. My dad did something similar with our beater Isuzu Trooper as a kid but just pocketed the money (was only a dent in the bumper).

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,482 Posts
and keep your receipt for the aftermarket bumper as well as other aftermarket items to provide to your insurance company

·
Premium Member
9,345 Posts
Depends on what all they are replacing. If cover, wings, lower grille inserts and all metal brackets/supports are damaged you could receive approx $850. If just the plastic about half that.

These are guestimates.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Insurance will pay for replacing the OEM bumper at the lowest cost the insurance company can find. You have the option of taking "cash in lieu" of the actual repairs. Then you can use that cash for an aftermarket bumper. Anything aftermarket needs to be endorsed onto your auto policy. 99% of companies will not cover aftermarket parts (stereos, winch, bumper, lights etc) unless they are endorsed onto the policy. It makes sense....You buy the car with a $800 factory bumber. Then add a $1500 winch bumper on. Why would the insurance company be responsible for the added expense of a winch bumper unless it is endorsed onto the policy. The FJ is rated at a certain replacement cost for OEM. That is what premiums are based on.

So, if you have aftermarket items, talk to your agent. But the answer is yes, take cash and add whatever bumper you want.

Yes, I am an insurance guy.....

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
After my recent crash and burn which left my right front banged up I was able to convince State Farm to supply the body shop doing the repairs with an ARB bumper. The reason being that the factory Toyota brush guard got bent up and after doing a 50 state Trademotion search that the now discontinued brush guard was no where to be found.

I was able to advise them I would rather not get a $610 credit as that is what Teademotion showed as a replacement value or go with an aftermarket Aires or Real Wheels or any other knock off as it was not a genuine Toyota selling item.

I was able with the assistance of my body shop being an authorized State Farm repair shop to show an ARB was the same price if not less than the brush guard,plastic bumper cover,wing,filler pieces and lower grille insert and labor to install is what I wanted. I also shared a link to my adjuster that the ARB was air bag compliant and was nationally advertised in the Toyota FJ Cruiser book as a viable replacement.

Armed with all the figures and data they approved it while I was on a conference call with the adjuster and the shop.

Do your homework be nice and convincing and you should be able to swing it.
I would have love to have the Toyota brush guard but now with the ARB it looks 10 times a tough

·
Registered
268 Posts
Not sure what all the talk back and forth is about. You get the estimate for the OEM stuff and the insurance company approves it. Then you call the body shop and have the ARB or whatever you want installed in it's place. Not a big deal.

I was just inquiring today about that OEM bumper guard with my local dealer and was told not only is it discontinued but it has a stop sale order. Parts guy was guess airbag issues would be the only thing to cause that. hmmm..

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Not sure what all the talk back and forth is about. You get the estimate for the OEM stuff and the insurance company approves it. Then you call the body shop and have the ARB or whatever you want installed in it's place. Not a big deal.

I was just inquiring today about that OEM bumper guard with my local dealer and was told not only is it discontinued but it has a stop sale order. Parts guy was guess airbag issues would be the only thing to cause that. hmmm..
Yep it pretty much that simple. I would have believe it or not wanted the brush guard and must have contacted 20 different dealers and even checked on EBay and no Toyota brush guard. Anyway after further review I'm happy with the ARB

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
I have 7000 bucks insured extra on my policy for the aftermarket parts, I think it cost me 75 bucks a year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts