Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have 17x9.5 Black Rhino Arsenals with a negative 18mm offset. Currently on bone stock suspension with 265/70/R17’s. Slight rub at full turn depending on incline. Very rare. No real issue.

I’m having a 3in OME lift installed with SPC UCAs soon. My question is, will my -18mm offset wheels cause an issue if I upgrade to 285/70/R17’s? If I have to get a BMC, so be it. I just don’t want to deal with constant rubbing issues because of the wheels. Let me know your thoughts. I want to make sure I’m not going to open a door of headaches before i spend all of this money on the lift and tires. Thanks guys

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don’t have that exact setup you mentioned, but it’s pretty close. I’m running a 3” OME lift and SPC UCAs with 285/75R17 on 17x9 -12mm offset wheels. I definitely had some rubbing on the body mounts when wheeling. As for on-road driving, my tires only rubbed when reversing with my steering wheel completely turned. After doing the BMC, I have not had any tire rub whatsoever on-road or off-road.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Same experience as MysteriousLee, BMC needed, 17x9 -12mm. The offset fill the fenders nicely, makes for more clearance using resi's.

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don’t have that exact setup you mentioned, but it’s pretty close. I’m running a 3” OME lift and SPC UCAs with 285/75R17 on 17x9 -12mm offset wheels. I definitely had some rubbing on the body mounts when wheeling. As for on-road driving, my tires only rubbed when reversing with my steering wheel completely turned. After doing the BMC, I have not had any tire rub whatsoever on-road or off-road.
Thanks, yeah sounds like a BMC will for sure be needed. The shop didn’t think it would when glancing at my truck, but they normally work on wranglers so maybe they just weren’t familiar with FJs in that aspect. It goes in for the lift on Friday, curious to see how it all comes together.

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same experience as MysteriousLee, BMC needed, 17x9 -12mm. The offset fill the fenders nicely, makes for more clearance using resi's.
Yeah I love the -18, it really made the stance nice. I think stock FJ wheels are like +15, so it was a big difference with the new wheels. Frustrating that I could fit 285s with no lift at all if I didn’t have that much of an offset, but oh well, it will look better in the end.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
My son just did a BMC on his 2 week old 2021 4Runner to fit 285-70-17 with -12 offset. No lift, just BMC, some bumper cover trimming and push back inner fender liner with pop rivets. No lift, no rubbing. Takes some brass to cut and weld on a 2 week old truck...

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My son just did a BMC on his 2 week old 2021 4Runner to fit 285-70-17 with -12 offset. No lift, just BMC, some bumper cover trimming and push back inner fender liner with pop rivets. No lift, no rubbing. Takes some brass to cut and weld on a 2 week old truck...
Yeah I’d say lol. Mine’s 15 years old and has 170k on the odometer so I couldn’t care less. But on a two week old truck, ouch!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts