Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is already p.o.'d by all the mods I'm thinking of doing. That "Raptor" rig is my prototype. All I've gotten so far is a 3" OME lift.

I'm obsessed. I've already gone through three ink cartridges printing articles off this website. I can see thousands of dollars going into my rig.

Am I going to end up getting divorced over this?

·
Admin
7,329 Posts
Yep.

Try putting a hold on things... go wheeling... take her with you. Perhaps you have kids that you can take too. Turn the rig into a family adventure and she may start to see the reasoning behind some of the insanity.

.... at least this is the plan I intend to use when I buy....

May the force be with you :cheers:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Well... how can I put this?.... yes.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Let her drive it. Let her take it off road.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Everyone has their own priorities. The day a motor vehicle takes priority over your wife is a bad day my friend. Right now, if it seems like to her that you are already at this point, you are.
For her to see the FJ as a threat is a sign that it might be too far and you should back off a little on how much time is spent on here and modding the FJ.

Unless, you incorporate her. For small easier task, i had my girlfriend help and let her know grately that i appreciated it and that i couldn't have done it without her.
For instance, I had her bolt the winch into place while i held it. She has never turned a wrench in her life. Then that night, i took her out to a great dinner for helping me.
If that sort of thing isn't her thing, call the lawyer and get the divorce papers ready

No No, just kidding. Go do something else together.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
The FJ TT SE won't cause a divorce.

The money and time you spend modifying and upgrading it will !!! :rofl:

My wife told me if I don't stop spending so much time and dough on my FJ, she's going to leave me...:mecry:

...boy, am I going to miss her !!!!:rofl:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Good thing my women, is the one who wanted the FJ in the first place.
She is a volunteer K9 search and rescue member, with my local sherrifs possie. So I pretty much bought it for her and the dog. She tells me I am obssesed, but always tells me that would be a nice mod. Now I just have to figure out what I want to do first.

·
Registered
514 Posts
well i can't comment on if it will cause a divorce or not, but mine has certanly made life after a divorce much better for me. its a great vehicle for many things, including meeting new women. :ladysman:

buck up lil camper, if she's threatining a divorce over parts and pieces youv'e got bigger issues. well that is unless your a jacka**. take her away for the weekend, oh and leave the Fj at home. show her she is a priority to you.

now if i could only follow my own advice!!!!!!:mecry:

scotty

·
Registered
670 Posts
There was a great deal of tension in my family over the money I spent on mods for the FJ. Fortunately, I got a fatty bonus and spent the whole wad on a new Subie Outback for her. Now I can mod the crap out of it. I know that not everyone is so lucky... I didn't know I would be either and prior to that surprise event, modding slowly was the was the only option. By that I mean it would take 20 years to accomplish what SW did to the RAPTOR in less than a year. I recommend taking it easy and taking her out in the rig. Cody is a beautiful place and you can now go anywhere - almost. I recommend you do it with her (go places that is).

·
Registered
634 Posts
My wife was a bit jealous of my FJ at first and after about three months I ended up getting a second FJ for her. Now we both love our FJs and each other. She tolerates my mods knowing that I could be out spending that dough on things much worse for our marriage. May not be everyone's solution but it worked for me! :)

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
The stock FJ will go almost anywhere that the modified FJ's will go - with a few very simple armor mods: (add MAF rear lower control arms, BudBuilt skids and DeMello sliders).

My wife is already p.o.'d by all the mods I'm thinking of doing. That "Raptor" rig is my prototype. All I've gotten so far is a 3" OME lift.
One step at a time. Pay cash. Mike did a great job with the Raptor but he took it one step at a time and the Raptor isn't completed even yet.

Let her drive it. Let her take it off road.
My wife hates going off road and really hates camping. Camping to her is a hotel without room service. I'm bringing her to Ouray and she's camping at the Best Western.

Almost two years ago I told her I wanted an FJ and she pitched a bit#h about the financial end of it (however we aren't poor). I said, "what if I moonlighted and paid cash?" She couldn't object. So I took on consulting work and in 3, months, drove the new FJ home and parked it in the driveway.

She asked why she hadn't been consulted on the purchase since we have a long standing practice of speaking about large purchases before they're made. I explained that I paid cash with the money I'd been making. (silence)

Her: "Fine" :indifferent:

Then I got to know the UPS man on a first name basis.

Her: "How much is this costing?"

Me: Nothing from the budget, all extra income, everything paid for in cash. :rofl:

And I took my 16 year old girl along on trail runs so that she wasn't home to bug her mother:

Her: :rocker:

So things have worked out. No pending divorce!:king:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Just spend just as much money on her and everything will be fine. And don't surprise her with mods either, discuss briefly and let her know what you are planning. And definitely not all at once. :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts