Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
fka P.S.
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, Mods....I apologize if this is the wrong area to post this, feel free to move it.

Here's the story, I have the Trail Gear rock sliders mounted on my FJ. Since I put them on, I got in an accident with the FJ. The body shop I took it to painted the sliders for me when I had it in the shop. Unfortunately for me, they must have not used a very good quality paint, because my sliders acquired some nice rust over the winter.

I went out to the garage yesterday to try to pull them off, and I think there is a layer of paint and undercoating over the mounting bolts. Now, Im a patient man...but I really dont feel like going through the pain of taking them down, sanding them and repainting them, and remounting them.

If there is anyone in the Cleveland area that would be willing to do this...I'm willing to pay around $200 for the job.

Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
look for a powder coating shop.. they can sand blast your sliders, rust treated, primed and powder coated for $200.. that's how much i paid for mine...

good luck!!!

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
I got mine line-x'd for $250

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Heck for $15 more you can buy a brand new set in the latest group buy

·
fka P.S.
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been told that powder coating pretty much sucks though..... I've heard that its too soft and it just flakes off, leaving you with nice exposed metal for rusting.

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
Powder coating is by far more durable than paint. The key is, make sure you go to a good one. I had my bumper powder coated by a local shop that does really nice work. It's been 3 years and the only place it came off is when I wheeled it into rocks. Otherwise it's great

1 - 9 of 9 Posts