Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Will predicted $4+ gas this year make you rethink your FJ as a daily driver? Not only from a fuel cost standpoint, but from the affect that could have on resale if you ever needed/wanted to sell or trade in. I bought a 2008 FJ loaded 4x4 auto about a year ago...

Please check all chest hair and testosterone fueled comments at the door and give intelligent responses...along with leaving out obvious statements like "I didnt buy my FJ for fuel economy"....

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
I am into the FJ for the long haul....besides our family bought a little 4 banger to help keep miles and fuel $ down on the FJ and the Odyssey....

So I try to preserve the FJ even though it is my "daily driver" by using the "extra ride"

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Not worth it to get another ride to save a little. It's not like the other ride will run on water. :lol: Insurance, and other incidental costs won't make sense for me. My commute is only 1/2 hour a day anyway.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'll have my motorcycle in the spring and summer. 60mpg :D

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
In Canada we already pay over $5 a gallon (Imperial) for premium and it hasn't swayed me to trade the FJ off. I personally don't think it'll cause many FJ owners to trade their vehicles if gasoline prices continue to rise.

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
It was $4.50 - $5.00 per gal. at the 2008 FJ Summit, so this will be no different.
Also, I am used to $6 - $8 gal. living in Europe...Don't like it, get something more efficient or so dirt cheap, that it's cheapness will offset the poor gas mileage :lol:
Plus, you think the FJ is bad, you should see the gas mileage in my '63 Continental.

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
When I bought mine in 08, I assumed I would be paying $4 for gas. Work is only 3 miles away. My average monthly gas bill is ~$80. With all of the mods I've done, I have to keep it forever. :)

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
It looks like from 3.50 a gallon to 4.50 a gallon will result in an overall increase of 1000 dollars for the year in my fuel cost. So the question is am I willing to pay 1000 dollars extra a year to drive my FJ as opposed to say a Honda crv, I'll pay my 1000 and be happy about it. Not to mention the only other vehicle that is like a FJ is a jeep or hummer which both get much worse gas mileage and are not dependable at all so you can add some rather large repair bill also. So to answer your question no need to rethink it, I thought a lot about it to start with and i'm very happy with that decision!

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
I think the first round of $4 gas has made many people a little shy of buying vehicles that don't do very well on fuel so I don't think there will be as many wanting to sell their FJs as there were last time around.

For the great majority of people, buying a second vehicle that gets better mileage really doesn't make sense. If you drive a chit load of miles, it might but it's still a stretch after factoring in extra plates, insurance, maintenance, payments, etc. It's mostly just an expensive way to make yourself feel good.

I will keep mine since it just sits most of the time while my Silverado is my daily driver. If my western wheeling trips weren't important to me, I'd dump it and buy something like a Scion Xb or Kia Soul . . . or a Mini Cooper.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
No sure I'd get the offroad model. The owner of segway drove off a cliff on one.
Kind of ironic...but still sad
Segway Owner Dies on Segway - NYTimes.com
Yeah, I saw that before....but...when the trail calls....you have to answer....even in lean economic times.....only a seasoned off roader can handle a Segway properly off road..... ;)

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
I'll keep it, at 15 mpg, the FJ is my gas mileage leader.

·
Registered
952 Posts
There have been variations on this theme/thread in the past.
The threshold from my perspective is not important. The rig is paid for.
I enjoy driving it too much.
Mods are done. So if gas is the only expense....will keep driving it until it will go no further

·
Registered
53 Posts
I say No. It's still a heck of a lot cheaper than I was paying for diesel in my previous ride. I already paid upwards of 4.50 last summer in some places.

It's just the price you pay to play!

1 - 20 of 74 Posts